Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 09:34 AM

2 posts, read 4,658 times

Advertisements

We recently moved to FL and just bought a house in Weston. We already realised our realtor cheated us big time, by "working" with other realtors. She pushed us into this deal by saying the other house we really like is "under contract" and this is the only option we have etc. After we signed the contract for this house we came to know that the house we really wanted was still available. Coincidently the owners of the house we bought are also realtors. So we suspect they "worked" it out.
It has been 5 months now and we realize that the home inspection was not done properly too. The realtor brought the home inspector (it was a mistake from our side to allow accept her recommendation on this). The house has mismatched A/C unit, new condensor outside (the previous owners changed it right before they put it in the market) and a very old airhandler inside. As I am getting quotes from different A/C companies to change the air handler, I am being told that the configuration we have now is breaking the city code and we need to change the whole system(the brand new system outside and the condensor inside). We feel the home inspectors cheated by not telling us that the house had something that is violating the city code. The previous owner(who is a realtor too) is working in a reputed construction company too. So there is no way he didn't know that either. What is the best way to make a complaint about this. Especially the Home inspection company?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 12:16 PM

924 posts, read 1,676,580 times
As far as I know, it is not a code violation to have a mismatched air handler and condenser, it's just not as efficient. Weston may be different, perhaps they have environmental guidelines since they are a newer city. Most A/C companies do want you to change out both at the same time, thoguh, because of warranty issues.

If it is a code violation, then it should have been picked up in the permit process, and the plans would have been denied or it should have failed the final inspection. Chances are they didn't pull a permit. You might be able to check online. Go to the city's website, look under Building Code Services and follow the instructions at the Online Building and Permitting button. I would actually go ahead and find out about all permits ever pulled (or not pulled) on the property. For example, if the ever did extensive repairs to the roof (like after Hurricane Wilma in 2005), over a certain monetary threshold requires a permit. I think it's around $800. Or, another big one is remodeling the bath - if they retiled the shower, a permit is required.

I think if I were you, I would consult a real estate attorney (outside of Weston since you suspect some collusion) and ask them if you have recourse against the inspector for failing to research the permit history or catch the code violation (if it exists) or the seller. In Florida, I believe the seller has a duty to disclose known but hidden defects and make a statement about building permits. Bring your contract, the inspector's report and the permits you find and have the attorney look it over. You may be able to go after the inspector and/or buyer for the cost of obtaining the necessary permit which might happen to be replacing the entire unit to be in compliance with code. You could probaly do this in small claims court after a consultation with an attorney.

In the meantime get at least three quotes from different reputable A/C companies and make sure they include the cost of permitting in the quote. Walk away from any company that doesn't want to pull a permit. Permits are not that expensive and fairly routine for reputable companies. Not being willing to get one likely means they are not properly licensed, insured, or planning to do a good job. Also, if they mention doing a 'load calculation" that is a very good sign. It is the proper way to determine the size you need and replace a/c. The wrong way is to simply look at what you have now and quote a price for a new unit the same size.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:30 PM

2 posts, read 4,658 times
Thank you so much for your reply. I will contact an attorney.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:20 AM

23,591 posts, read 70,383,686 times
I am SOOO glad to be away from BS like this.

First, Weston is a new community, and the chances of a "very old" interior air handler inside is slim compared to other areas of South Florida. Older than the coil, yes, old enough to require replacement as a matter of course, unlikely.
Second, an outside coil replacement is not a "violation". It is a somewhat common "repair" or "replacement". I'd be suspicious of metal thieves, but compressors do go bad.
Third, the rush to attorneys for what ultimately are trivialities and lack of due diligence on the part of buyer has got to be more common in south Florida than anywhere else in the country.
Fourth, the negative energy of such attitudes makes life in the area miserable for everyone and attracts hurricanes...

Old 10-03-2012, 10:33 AM

3,234 posts, read 3,191,046 times
The Bonaventure section of Weston was built in the late 70's, and throughout the 80's I believe -- I don't know if the OP bought in the Bonaventure section of Weston and if that would explain the A/C "code violation." I have dealt with the Code department in Weston and I would suggest that the OP contact the city to verify that it is a code violation (if they haven't already). Bonaventure voted to become part of Weston in the late 90's, when Weston residents voted to officially incorporate as a city, rather than remain a part of unincorporated Fort Lauderdale. I do not pretend to know all there is about Weston codes, but perhaps there was some type of "grandfather provision" when these older residences became part of the city.

Each time we have had work on our house, and that includes new A/C, roof repairs, fencing, etc., we have found each person we've dealt with to explain what needs to be done as per city code and the process to pull permits -- in some cases we even have to go thru our HOA for approval (changing the color of the house exterior, for example) and I guess we've been lucky but everyone we've worked with has been careful about having approvals by the city/hoa as required. I understand the code department in Weston can be slow at times before giving approval but I guess that is how it goes.

Good luck to the OP -- when we replaced our A/C is was well worth it in terms of efficiency and cost -- our bills dropped anywhere between $100 to $150 a month and the change was well worth the cost financially.

Old 10-03-2012, 11:56 AM

26 posts, read 63,739 times
Good luck, and what a pain to deal with this. You should contact an attorney in order to see what legal actions you have against the other party(ies). If you need a specific recommendation I have a great real estate attorney in Weston. Just shoot me a message if interested!

Best,
Jenn

Old 10-04-2012, 01:29 AM

205 posts, read 241,398 times
Ignorance of the Law is No Excuse. Sorry, but you made huge errors most folks would never make.

Old 10-04-2012, 01:53 PM

1,285 posts, read 3,606,837 times
I am shopping for a house and would appreciate any help I can get. What are the does and don't. The scenario scares me as I had a negative experience when I sold my house in New Orleans and was taken advantage of by the agent.
Help please on: inspections, agent choice, who to trust, getting a Real Estate Attorney to supervise the transaction. I know the selling agent is not working for me but what else should I beware of??

Old 10-06-2012, 10:49 AM

205 posts, read 241,398 times
hire an attorney. why would you ask strangers on the internet about making the biggest decision of your life? buying a home. with respect, you sound cheap, a Miser

Old 10-06-2012, 02:37 PM

157 posts, read 332,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salem Aathur View Post
We recently moved to FL...
Your first mistake.

Quote:
and just bought a house in Weston.
Strike two.

Quote:
The previous owner(who is a realtor too) is working in a reputed construction company too.
No such thing here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area