Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2007, 10:38 AM

10 posts, read 14,050 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I lived in the midwest my whole life. AND then we moved to Miami-Dade...It is like a total culture shock, and I really don't like it at all. So we're thinking of moving to broward and I wanted to see what you guys have to say about southwest ranches

I know that it is still in south florida, but is it closer to that midwestern or southern culture/atmosphere rather than that hardcore miami cuture? I know they claim to be different...Like I went onto their website and they said "preserving our rural lifestyle" is this true? How are the politics there? are they very liberal, very conservative, or just in the middle? How different is it from the rest of south florida? A lot of people like the whole party atmosphere and big city hype, but I really don't. Does it have a small town feel?

And one more big thing...does south west ranches have that cookie cutter backdrop that seems to have taken over most of dade county with the new homes that all look alike, tiny 4 ft. trees, little sorry excuses for lakes, houses spaced 4 feet apart, and gated communities? I am so sick and tired of Gated communities down here already!!! Plus, they be building starbucks like everywhere you go and there are no trees at all! just little shrubs and stuff...I totally hate it!! Does the same apply for southwest ranches?? Thanx a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 01:35 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,901,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjl2791 View Post
Hi everyone, I lived in the midwest my whole life. AND then we moved to Miami-Dade...It is like a total culture shock, and I really don't like it at all. So we're thinking of moving to broward and I wanted to see what you guys have to say about southwest ranches

I know that it is still in south florida, but is it closer to that midwestern or southern culture/atmosphere rather than that hardcore miami cuture? I know they claim to be different...Like I went onto their website and they said "preserving our rural lifestyle" is this true? How are the politics there? are they very liberal, very conservative, or just in the middle? How different is it from the rest of south florida? A lot of people like the whole party atmosphere and big city hype, but I really don't. Does it have a small town feel?

And one more big thing...does south west ranches have that cookie cutter backdrop that seems to have taken over most of dade county with the new homes that all look alike, tiny 4 ft. trees, little sorry excuses for lakes, houses spaced 4 feet apart, and gated communities? I am so sick and tired of Gated communities down here already!!! Plus, they be building starbucks like everywhere you go and there are no trees at all! just little shrubs and stuff...I totally hate it!! Does the same apply for southwest ranches?? Thanx a lot!
Southwest Ranches is considered by many to be a little paradise in southwestern Broward.Even Tallrick likes it! Southwest Ranches is politically a "who cares" kind of place from my experience, perhaps edging on being slightly conservative, although Broward County in general is a far more liberal and diverse environment than Dade, but pretty much anyone will find their place, be it liberal, conservative, libertarian, whatever, it doesn't matter. Southwest Ranches is probably around 60 % white, 30 % Hispanic, and 10% other (with a significant Asian population beginning to move in, as is happening in the rest of SW Broward).

They have a 1 acre building limit in Southwest Ranches, and the area feels distinctively country. There are very few homes that sit on less than one acre, and open fields and horse farms dot the landscape.Most main roads are only one lane per direction, and there aren't even many of those. The town prohibits traffic lights. The homes range from "rednecky" older ranch style homes to sprawling 10 million dollar estates. There are no multi family properties. I wouldn't say it really has a "Small town" feel, but rather a rural feeling. The surrounding communities of Cooper City and Davie basically resemble anywhere USA, and Weston, although cookie cutter, is planned in a manner that is much more aesthetically pleasing than anything in Miami-Dade County, with low-traffic streets and real tree canopy. Pembroke Pines to the south can be pretty congested and "Dade-like", but it's not bad. If schools are important, the area shares schools with Weston and Cooper City, which are generally regarded to be some of the best in the tri-county area and even the nation. Heres the catch: do you have 750 thousand dollars to spend on a modest home on one acre?

I would look actually look into Cooper City and west Davie as well, which is demographically (And politically) quite middle American, and although it has rural patches that are like SW Ranches, the general environment is pretty much "Suburbia USA", although it isn't as cookie cutter due to some of the (preserved) empty fields and horse ranches mixed in amongst the suburbia. Amongst the suburbia it actually does have a bit of a small town feeling, even in the school systems, and it's a lot cheaper than SW Ranches. Many of the older neighborhoods have larger-than-average lots and a decent amount of trees.

Basically, this cluster of southwestern Broward sounds like exactly what you are looking for, assuming you can afford it. I wouldn't be inclined to call it Southern or Midwestern culture, because its a combination of all different kinds, but the combination works here because in general, it's a true family area, and it's nothing like Miami-Dade.

Old 10-11-2007, 02:54 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,373,512 times
The above is an excellent response. Since you already live in south Florida, take a little drive up to the ranches just to see what it looks like, etc. It did have some water issues some years ago with seepage from the landfill, but that was cleared up and I believe all is well today. It also may not be quite as bucolic as one might believe. :-) All in all, it still holds to its rural charm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area