Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 03:35 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,707,314 times

Advertisements

haha, NOELfan, do you intentionally spell people's names wrong?

Yes, I know I was against traffic. I was not in the express lanes - didn't need to be. I used to make the same commute from the Civic Center to Broward at that time for over 10 years and know what a nightmare 95 can be heading north. I just didn't see it - just a small slow-down around 112 heading north. Could be the summer. Could be just less people on the road due to unemployment & people having left. Could also be the Sunpass lanes heading up to Broward are helping to ease traffic. The roads were unusually light, but I hadn't made that trip in about a year. Seems to me to be a huge difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2010, 03:58 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,058,545 times
Sometimes a small contruction change can make a huge difference in the traffic flow. Maybe they have made changes. Miami is always under contruction.

Nolefan, Yesterday I drove on Sterling road and timed it, from the I95 Exit to flamingo and it took me 18 minutes. I wasn't speeding because I was afraid of those red light cameras. so it does sound like Chelsa is driving faster than me but her timing is not totally impossible. There is no turnpike exit so that should make sterling's traffic lighter. I don't drive on Griffin so I can't compare it.

Old 08-07-2010, 08:27 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
20 minutes would mean virtually no traffic and hitting every light in sequence without getting stuck. I just don't see how that's possible.
In my experience, that's a pretty common occurrence on Griffin between I-95 and the turnpike, and between University and Flamingo, if one is doing about the speed limit. The completion of all construction has really made Griffin a better road to drive on.

Old 08-08-2010, 12:54 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,763,584 times
Quote:
Chealsa>

Not trying to sound right. I have done the drive a couple of times and have no clue how that is humanly possible during rush hour. I can see how maybe you did it in 30 minutes. But 18-20 sounds impossible based on my experiences on Griffin Road. I really don't understand how its possible to drive 11 miles in 18 minutes on a high-traffic road with 7-8 major traffic intersections and two expressway interchanges.

my name is CHELSA - nelofan43 - seriously, I think you take pieces of what we are saying and somehow make it make sense in your head - I didn't say anything about Griffin - EVER - it was mentioned to take Griffin to the Turnpike if I worked in Miami - I explained clearly that I took Sheridan from West Pines and Stirling from my house and it 100% took me 18 minutes - the lights are all in my favor as i am going - I hit 1 maybe 2 redlights - I can't dispute how long it took you when you made the trip but I'm amused to know why you are so interested in trying to tell me my trip is impossible - I assure you it is very possible and is fact in my case!

Fuave>
The reason the roads were empty is because everyone is leaving Miami around 5pm. Nobody is driving into Miami. I used to live in Brickell and my family wondered how I dealt with the Miami traffic. What they didn't understand is that I was always driving against the grain of traffic. Driving the Turnpike to I-95, then to Brickell is usually a breeze during afternoon rush hours. The outbound lanes are normally backed up for 3-4 hours between 3:30 to 7 leaving Miami is a zoo. I used to NEVER try to leave downtown Miami between 3:30 PM and 7. You either leave before 3:30 or after 7 or you're screwed.

Do you use the express lanes by the way? If so, you almost never hit traffic. The regular lanes are bad though. When they constructed I-95 express, I knew it was going to be bad. Because it helped people who don't mind paying the express tolls, but it made the regular lanes worse.

Also, it is dead smack in the middle of summer so the traffic overall in South FL is about 1/2 of what it is during the winter months since there are far less people. Also, the unemployment rate has a major impact on traffic. 3 years ago the traffic in South FL was considerably worse than it is now.

Old 08-08-2010, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
Sometimes a small contruction change can make a huge difference in the traffic flow. Maybe they have made changes. Miami is always under contruction.

Nolefan, Yesterday I drove on Sterling road and timed it, from the I95 Exit to flamingo and it took me 18 minutes. I wasn't speeding because I was afraid of those red light cameras. so it does sound like Chelsa is driving faster than me but her timing is not totally impossible. There is no turnpike exit so that should make sterling's traffic lighter. I don't drive on Griffin so I can't compare it.
The real issue here Princess is that he is not reading our conversations properly - he is taking from them what he would like and then trying to make a point - you read it correctly - I do not travel on Griffen, therefore can not comment on that. i am about 5 minutes from the 95 and I admit I drive on the faster side - I want to get to my boys at summer camp and well i leave a little late in the morning and need to get to work on time LOL.

Old 08-08-2010, 03:52 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,466,972 times
Chelsa>

"The real issue here Princess is that he is not reading our conversations properly - he is taking from them what he would like and then trying to make a point - you read it correctly - I do not travel on Griffen, therefore can not comment on that."

Look in the mirror. That is exactly what you are doing.

We were talking about GRIFFIN ROAD. Not Stirling. The poster wanted to know how long it takes to take Griffin Road to the Turnpike, then to Brickell. There is no Turnpike exit from Stirling, so your situation does not apply. So it appears that you are the one cherry picking to suit your argument.

My original post was in response to his question, but somehow you took that to mean I was responding to your situation. It was not about you, it was about the other guy. Then you hijacked the post by changing the entire argument to center around your situation which is irrelevant to the other poster.

Then you refuted my estimate of 20-25 minutes from I-75 to the TPK on Griffin. You said NO, it only takes 10-15 minutes, except you were measuring from Flamingo Road, which is 5-10 minutes closer so logically would take less time. Then you said it takes 15-20 minutes from Flamingo to I-95. Then you said it takes 15-20 minutes from Flamingo to US1 in Dania. Then you said 18 minutes including dropping your kids off at school. Which is it? Now you're saying you meant Stirling Road instead of Griffin. You keep changing the facts to make your argument look better.

The only thing I really argued with you against was when you said it takes you 18-20 minutes from Flamingo to US1. That sounds impossible from my experiences during morning rush hour. I was also estimating using GRIFFIN Rd, not Stirling. But I guess I am not reading your posts properly or else I'd know that everything revolves around Chelsa's situation and nobody else.

Princess>

You are talking about normal off-peak times. I was specifically talking about morning rush hour.

Last edited by Nolefan34; 08-08-2010 at 04:01 PM..

Old 08-08-2010, 04:12 PM

Noelfan, a recap ---->

Actually the OP wanted to know how long from Weston to Kendall - just look at the title of the thread. It was Chelsa that wanted to know how long from CC or West Pines to Brickell - she specifically asked Rock. I chimed in and suggested she take Griffin to the turnpike. You said no becoz of traffic. I said well, Chelsa knows best becoz that's her commute. Then she said she takes Stirling from Flamingo to US1 and it takes 22 minutes normally, 18 minutes when she's lucky. She also said she was able to make it to US1 between Stirling & Griffin from 172nd & Pines (where her boys go to summer camp) in 25 minutes. You keep telling her this is impossible. Capeche?

Old 08-08-2010, 04:38 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,466,972 times
Fuave,

1. By original poster, I meant the poster I was originally responding to. Not the #1 in the thread. Sorry for the confusion. But as it turns out, thanks to your great recap, it was Chelsa. I was thinking it was someone else but forgot after all of these posts.

2. The issue here is that You and I both were talking about Griffin Road to the Turnpike. Chelsa was talking about her commute on Stirling. There is no exit from the Turnpike at Stirling Road, so how would her situation apply to people wanting to know how long it takes from CC/West Pines to the Turnpike. Chelsa has never even taken Griffin Road as she admitted earlier, so she really doesn't have a valid opinion on how long it takes. Do you understand now?

3. Chelsa keeps getting bolder and bolder with her facts, changing them yet again. So now its 172nd and Pines to US1 and Griffin in 25 minutes? LOL. I guess next post it will be from Kendall to Dania in 25 minutes. I'm sorry, but I call a spade a spade here. It is impossible to drive from Pines Blvd. & 172nd to Griffin and US1 in 25 minutes. Especially in morning rush hour. I would say more like 45-50 minutes.

4. Another issue building here is that commuting from CC and from West Pines to Miami are two entirely different animals. CC is east of I-75 and West Pines is west of I-75. CC is also further north of West Pines. So the routes are different and the times are different. It would not make sense for someone in West Pines to drive north to Griffin. They would either take Pines Blvd. east to the Turnpike, or just use I-75 south.

Old 08-08-2010, 04:52 PM

Well, I picked up immediately that she took Stirling (because she corrected me) and so I suggested she could still take Stirling and cut north to the turnpike at the last minute on 58th Ave and avoid all the traffic on Griffin. Also I let her know that she goes over the turnpike on Stirling at the Seminole Indian Office building on her way east so she could gauge an approximate time.

I don't think she's making up her times. She has no agenda. She's just looking to find out approximately how long to Brickell from Flamingo and West Pines. Now that she knows where the turnpike is, she can estimate this time herself and can rely on our agreed 30 minute estimate once she gets on the turnpike.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Fuave,

1. By original poster, I meant the poster I was originally responding to. Not the #1 in the thread. Sorry for the confusion. But as it turns out, thanks to your great recap, it was Chelsa. I was thinking it was someone else but forgot after all of these posts.

2. The issue here is that You and I both were talking about Griffin Road to the Turnpike. Chelsa was talking about her commute on Stirling. There is no exit from the Turnpike at Stirling Road, so how would her situation apply to people wanting to know how long it takes from CC/West Pines to the Turnpike. Chelsa has never even taken Griffin Road as she admitted earlier, so she really doesn't have a valid opinion on how long it takes. Do you understand now?

3. Chelsa keeps getting bolder and bolder with her facts, changing them yet again. So now its 172nd and Pines to US1 and Griffin in 25 minutes? LOL. I guess next post it will be from Kendall to Dania in 25 minutes. I'm sorry, but I call a spade a spade here. It is impossible to drive from Pines Blvd. & 172nd to Griffin and US1 in 25 minutes. Especially in morning rush hour. I would say more like 45-50 minutes.

4. Another issue building here is that commuting from CC and from West Pines to Miami are two entirely different animals. CC is east of I-75 and West Pines is west of I-75. CC is also further north of West Pines. So the routes are different and the times are different. It would not make sense for someone in West Pines to drive north to Griffin. They would either take Pines Blvd. east to the Turnpike, or just use I-75 south.
To all responding here - is it just me or does it seem like he is reading half of what EVERYONE writes and then twisting it somehow?

Let me go through this yet again so that YOU may have a clear understanding!!!

I live between Griffin and Stirling off of Flamingo and on average it takes me 20 minutes door to door to get to my job. I left my house this morning at 7:45a - I was in my parking lot at 8:04 at my desk by at 8:06.

Friday I took my boys to summer camp at (172nd ave and Pines Blvd.) dropped them off at 7:45 - I was at my desk at 8:14.

I hope we are all clear now. I would never misguide someone into thinking they could make that commute if it were impossible.

The fact of the matter remains that I don't really care whether you think my commute is infact true or not - I make the trip 5 days a week so I know it is fact! I was looking for an answer to see how long it would take me from West Pines and CC to the Brickell area of Miami, in case work takes me there. Which you did answer to a degree. The only thing I am left thinking here is that your view and perhaps some others are a bit exaggerated for right now because if you think it will take 25 minutes to get to the turnpike then I am way ahead of the game because I'm pretty sure it wouldn't take that long. I got to the 95 this morning in 13 minutes from my house.

I wish that you could ride along side of me while I get to work and you could see. As I have mentioned repeatedly, I do not know how traffic will be when school starts but I can say right now that its barely an issue unless rain or an accident is in play and still the flow is pretty good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area