Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2013, 04:47 PM

24 posts, read 52,898 times

Advertisements

We are at the stage of fining the right high School for or daughter.We live in dave,Fl and the choices are weston or Coper City high schools. We rule out copper and we are left with weston or nova high school.
we would like to here from parents who has kid's at both school...what is the pro's and con's of both schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 05:12 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,900,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flgirl45 View Post
We are at the stage of fining the right high School for or daughter.We live in dave,Fl and the choices are weston or Coper City high schools. We rule out copper and we are left with weston or nova high school.
we would like to here from parents who has kid's at both school...what is the pro's and con's of both schools.
Do you mean Western? There is no Weston HS. Cypress Bay HS is in Weston. Western HS is in Davie.

Here is some information about the admissions process for Nova. Your child must apply and there must be a seat for her. There is no automatic admission for Nova.

NCLB & Reassignment Department

Old 02-02-2013, 06:55 PM

24 posts, read 52,898 times
Thanks for the correction and the information.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:56 AM

179 posts, read 308,506 times
I went to both high schools and can give you the pros and cons about both.

Nova has a waiting list. (atleast that applies for most people) I don't know if it still is, but when I went there it was one of the top-100 high schools in the nation. It's an extremely diverse school. There's kids from all over the county that go there, all walks of life. I loved that school. It taught me how to get along with everybody and it gave me a taste of what the real world would be like when I got older. The only con I can think of is that Nova does have quite a few kids that are a little rough around the edges. Remember, they bus kids in from all over the county, from the wealthiest neighborhoods to the ghettos. However, if they're at Nova it's because somebody in their life cared enough to see them get a good education.

Western is an 'A' school. Over the last few years it's become a very diverse school. You have the kids who come from money combined with the kids who walk to school from the nearby trailer park, which is a pretty seedy neighborhood to say the least. There's a slight drug problem at the school. Kids are caught with weed on a pretty regular basis. These problems increased over the past couple of years due to an influx of riff-raffs from the East side of Davie. When the trailer park on the East side of Davie got closed and torn down, the trailer park on the West side instantly got worse because the rougher East side families/kids moved out there. Overall it's a pretty good school though. Not many fights and the school is staffed with plenty of security.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area