Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2013, 10:40 AM

3 posts, read 2,850 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I thought I would write out my scenario and ask for any positive advice you might be able to give me.

I am an American who has lived in South America for many years. Wife and two kids 9-10 years old. I want to return to the U.S. to raise my kids. Florida is the only place where I can continue with my job and I spend 3-4 months out of the year here anyway working. Office is in the Doral Area.

I wanted to purchase a home Where would be the best place for family - schools - adapting to new life for the kids, ect...

Can I get the best deal on a home with cash? My budget is a 200,000 to 250,000 outright purchase with no debt. Also contemplating minimum down payment and mortgage and spending more, up to 300,000, and going into debt. Any thoughts here?

Planning on renting for the first 7 months and take my time looking for the right home to buy. Any thoughts on that?

Any thoughts on schools, ect..?

thank you for you time!
D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 01:41 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,827,848 times
Best schools + commuting to Doral = Weston.

I live in Weston and used to commute to Doral. There are actually two highways you can take, depending on how the mood strikes you. Or you may end up living a little closer to one than another - either I-75 to FL Turnpike OR US-27 to FL Turnpike. Either way - 40 minutes. Traffic is not too bad.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:33 PM

166 posts, read 384,361 times
$300,000 is not going to get you into Weston, maybe townhome. Here's the deal here, I have clients at 250-300 that have been going at this now for 5 months, 5-7 offers, no home yet. This ranges from Miramar to Parkland. When a nice house comes on the market in that price range, there are 20 showings the first day and 6 offers by the second day. This is a true example that I just experienced. So waiting 7 months is going to do 2 things 1)mortgage rates just went 3.25% to 3.75% which cuts down what you can afford 2) prices will continue to escalate. Sorry but this is a VERY frustrating seller's market.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:11 AM

Thanks for the feedback. Let's say I have my heart set on Weston. What would the strategy be to buy a home in Weston?

Old 03-12-2013, 09:52 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,827,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainforestfarms View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Let's say I have my heart set on Weston. What would the strategy be to buy a home in Weston?
Is a townhouse not acceptable? Weston has some very nice townhouse developments. I happen to live in one (had to sell my house a few years ago when the crisis struck). It is a lovely townhouse community across the street from Falcon Cove Middle and Cypress Bay High schools. My kids walk to the school. A nice library is next door too. The place is also 5 min away from I-75 or US-27 -- makes for easy commute to Doral.

Old 03-12-2013, 05:17 PM

Hi Rusky. Yes, a townhouse is a possibility. I saw your email and I will respond so you can send me options.
Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area