Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 05:06 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Schools don't really matter to me. Two of my kids are in college and one is a toddler. For me, proximity and safety are the two most important criteria. Aventura looks nice. Can anyone share more info on Aventura?
Aventura is nice but more urban. I am not an expert on Aventura. If schools don't matter take a look at Plantation. It is closer to Fort Lauderdale than Weston. Plus your toddler will be ok when school starts since elementary schools in Plantation are good.

The best neighborhoods are in the western half of the city. How much do you want to spend on housing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 09:18 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Aventura is pretty nice and is as safe as Plantation or Sunrise but very congested and lacks much in the way of single family homes. It is sort of a high rise suburb. Getting in and out of Aventura during rush hour times is especially difficult. Aventura is shopping heaven and there is both a Whole Foods and a Target in the same shopping center.

Miami Shores is a bit less congested and has a very pleasant living environment. I wouldn't call Miami Shores "unsafe" but there is plenty of property crime, so beware of that. Miami Shores is close to a brand new Whole Foods in North Miami and there are nice Target stores in North Miami and Midtown. Miami Shores is a very expensive but sought after area because of it's location.

Miami Lakes is only going to subtract about 10-15 minutes down I-75 for a Miami commute as compared to Weston or Pembroke Pines while adding a similar amount towards Ft. Lauderdale for an area that is mostly residential. The nearest Whole Foods would actually be in Pembroke Pines although there is a Target nearby and some basic strip mall type shopping around as well.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:25 PM

51 posts, read 184,859 times
There is plenty of yuppie, trendy, upscale family settings in WPB county too, if you are interested in a broader prospective, you should post the same question here:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/west-...raton-boynton/

Old 05-22-2013, 12:00 PM

6 posts, read 37,075 times
Default Weston Life

Hi,
I have lived in the Bonaventure section of Weston for 25 years. Bonaventure is awesome! We have a recreational complex that is so great for the family.
My kids grew up at the town center club..We have bowling, skating, raquetball, pool, tabletennis, basketball...tennis, 3 pools....
The best part is that it is managed very well and the kids must behave or go home.
Weston is located right off 75 to get to Miami and the turnpike and off 595 to go to Fort Lauderdale. It is a wonderful area.
I will be selling my home soon but I would recommend this area to anyone....I just need a smaller place...

I never have to worry about my safety and I am 62.....

I need to find a senior condo that will accept my 35 pound dog.....

Old 05-22-2013, 06:22 PM

164 posts, read 374,395 times
The Coral Ridge and Imperial Point neighborhoods in Fort Lauderdale qualify. You'll be adjacent to Whole Foods, Fresh Market, a great Target, a brand new CVS on the Middle River, etc. The commute from Ft Lauderdale to Miami is not bad, either.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:46 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,827,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjweaks View Post
Hi,
I have lived in the Bonaventure section of Weston for 25 years. Bonaventure is awesome! We have a recreational complex that is so great for the family.
My kids grew up at the town center club..We have bowling, skating, raquetball, pool, tabletennis, basketball...tennis, 3 pools....
The best part is that it is managed very well and the kids must behave or go home.
Weston is located right off 75 to get to Miami and the turnpike and off 595 to go to Fort Lauderdale. It is a wonderful area.
I will be selling my home soon but I would recommend this area to anyone....I just need a smaller place...

I never have to worry about my safety and I am 62.....

I need to find a senior condo that will accept my 35 pound dog.....
Hi cjweaks, I sent you a direct message.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:23 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,296,391 times
Can anyone recommend gated apartments and condos in the west Plantation? I think Plantation is probably what we are seeking but I prefer to live in the western part. The problem is the nice apartments there are in the central or eastern portion which is considered the bad area? I definitely want a garage for security. It seems like all of the apartments including the nice ones include some element of car theft or car vandalism.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:54 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Can anyone recommend gated apartments and condos in the west Plantation? I think Plantation is probably what we are seeking but I prefer to live in the western part. The problem is the nice apartments there are in the central or eastern portion which is considered the bad area? I definitely want a garage for security. It seems like all of the apartments including the nice ones include some element of car theft or car vandalism.
Central Plantation is a little more commercial than the west but I wouldn't say it was bad. It is close to the mall and the highway. Only the extreme eastern portion of Plantation is sketchy.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:29 PM

591 posts, read 820,820 times
Quote:
What are the best cities/towns in the area for families? We are interested in areas that would have lots of stores and amenities that are within 5-10 minute drive. Where would you find a really nice Target, Whole Foods, Trader Joes, nice Gyms, Daycare, Pharmacies etc nearby. ie read Boring

It seems like Weston fits this description but my concern with Weston is it's a far commute to Ft. Lauderdale and Miami. I will be commuting to both cities for work. Besides Weston, is there a city that has better proximity to Lauderdale and Miami but just as safe and clean.
Truth be told, there are only a handful of stereotypically "yuppie" suburbs in South Florida, if that.

Palm Beach Gardens is way more "yuppie" than Weston, IMO.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:39 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,827,848 times
Palm Beach is kind of far from everything
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area