Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 04:30 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,621,496 times

Advertisements

Well, it looks as if I may be moving to Hollywood come the end of July.
To be quite honest-- the only things I know about Hollywood is Hollywood Beach and the Young's circle area with the restaurants and shops....

What's peoples general consenus of Hollywood tho? What do people do outside of Young's circle? Is there a Whole foods? Do they have nice shops like the Promenade at Coconut Creek? Or University Commons in Boca? What's the over all "feel" of Hollywood?

This is the most south I will have ever lived. I am primarily used to Boca, Delray, Deerfield, Coral Springs, Pomapano areas and usually do not go further south of that as I really have no need, however that's is about to change.

please, expound upon what makes Hollywood amazng or what makes it not so amazing.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 07:16 PM

443 posts, read 887,884 times
Hollywood has some nice areas but it has gone way downhill over the past 25 years or so. The Lakes section east of US 1 between Johnson and Washington Streets is still nice, as is Emerald Hills just west of I-95 between Sheridan and Stirling.

As far as things to do, Hollywood's claim to fame is the beach and the broadwalk. There are some decent restaurants downtown but the shopping there is terrible. No nice shops but a lot of strip malls with some big box stores. No Whole Foods, either (but there is one in Aventura, not too far away).

Young Circle is nothing special (it's not called Young's circle, by the way). They have some festivals there and food trucks once a week, but there are still too many bums in that area to make it very family friendly.

This is just my opinion -- I'm sure you'll hear others who disagree with me.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:42 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,783,258 times
Hollywood is inconsistent overall, but there are large areas that are nice. Basically, Hollywood is nice between US1 and the Beach, and then between I-95 and 56th Ave. Other areas are more run down looking and suspect, especially the US1 corridor itself and the 441 corridor. Hollywood has a lot of prostitution, homeless and "oddballs" in it's lesser areas (in particular around US1 and downtown), but these areas won't be as bad as the worst of Delray and Pompano. Hollywood is a little older in appearance than most cities in South Florida, as the area was pretty much built out by the 1970s, so the look of Hollywood will be a bit of a departure from northern Broward and southern PBC. There are't really any new-style shopping complexes, but there is plenty of big box shopping and Aventura is very close by. You could also head west to Pembroke Pines for that style of shopping. As far as entertainment, there are some bars and restaurants in downtown Hollywood that people go to (get used to the oddball feeling) as well as the beach area. It is more lively than, say, Pompano, but not as lively as downtown/coastal Delray.

Just take the 30 or so minute drive down the turnpike and check out the area a few times.

Old 06-28-2013, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Hollywood is inconsistent overall, but there are large areas that are nice. Basically, Hollywood is nice between US1 and the Beach, and then between I-95 and 56th Ave. Other areas are more run down looking and suspect, especially the US1 corridor itself and the 441 corridor. Hollywood has a lot of prostitution, homeless and "oddballs" in it's lesser areas (in particular around US1 and downtown), but these areas won't be as bad as the worst of Delray and Pompano. Hollywood is a little older in appearance than most cities in South Florida, as the area was pretty much built out by the 1970s, so the look of Hollywood will be a bit of a departure from northern Broward and southern PBC. There are't really any new-style shopping complexes, but there is plenty of big box shopping and Aventura is very close by. You could also head west to Pembroke Pines for that style of shopping. As far as entertainment, there are some bars and restaurants in downtown Hollywood that people go to (get used to the oddball feeling) as well as the beach area. It is more lively than, say, Pompano, but not as lively as downtown/coastal Delray.

Just take the 30 or so minute drive down the turnpike and check out the area a few times.
Funny u mentiont that, because that's one of the first things I have noticed. Hollywood appears older looking. Where I live was built mostly around 2008 and the area itself was built up in the last 10 or 15 years. . So everything is new and fresh and cleaner looking.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:14 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,773,961 times
Jaxson's is great. But I guess that's Dania.

Old 06-29-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
Jaxson's is great. But I guess that's Dania.
an ice cream spot. ....
I don't eat that stuff and to be honest, that would not be a selling point for me. I rather be near a Whole Foods and a Trader Joe's than ice cream.

Old 06-29-2013, 06:36 PM

82 posts, read 176,919 times
Hollywood has a very large transient population. The city is also very lenient on soup kitchens, hourly rate motels and is very fiscally irresponsible.
The police officers are leaving in massive numbers and many residents are very unhappy with their high property taxes and the cities priority to only concentrate on east of the intercoastal.

If I HAD to live in Hollywood (and I think there are many better places to live), I would probably live in a high rise condo on the beach south of Hollywood Blvd.

The downtown right off Hollywood BLVD is nice, but go a block or two and you're in a bad area, which often times spills into the main downtown. I know plenty of people that have been harrassed by the local street residents.

All in all, if Hollywood had been managed better 10-15 years ago, it would probably be a different story. However, aside from a few places, it really is a trashy place.

Old 06-29-2013, 06:56 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,786,208 times
I got scammed by a homeowner for 2700.00 deposit rental of his property 2 houses from the beach. He had been in court 140 times for landlord-tenant in 5 years with a huge list of liens and levies . He also was the plaintiff many MANY times. He had a very well developed scam procedure. Detectives could not help. During the drama I happened to notice alot of sketchy people all over there coming and going. And I'm not adverse to extreme and eccentric neighbors - like living across from Hells Angels headquarters in the Lower East Side or downtown Philly. But not this location. I was moving from out of state so didn't really investigate enough.

In fact one weirdo walked up to us in the middle of my argument with the guy...in front of the house who was also a scam victim wanting HER KEYS to the unit I RENTED that was already OCCUPIED by other people..with a giant Cockatoo and Macaw on her shoulders announcing she had gotten evicted from her prior place for noise - she looked a big mess, too, like no bath for a couple weeks. This wasn't a cheap deal for $1350 in 2009.

In the end I was happy I didn't move there but sorry to lose that money!! I was making the rookie error of "beach or nothing" at the time.

Let's just say I hope you did not rent a duplex on a street with a president's name one or two houses away from the sand from an overly friendly sociopath!

Old 06-30-2013, 12:04 AM

lol, it's not sounding so hot.

Old 06-30-2013, 01:03 AM

179 posts, read 306,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
an ice cream spot. ....
I don't eat that stuff and to be honest, that would not be a selling point for me. I rather be near a Whole Foods and a Trader Joe's than ice cream.
Who the hell doesn't eat ice cream?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area