Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 06:32 AM

8 posts, read 21,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowSoFlorida View Post
Your story doesn't make sense.

1. Was this event a place where other spouses were?

2. Doesn't make sense, maybe you imagined that they were offended, or maybe they were offended that you did it so impersonally.

3. What happened at the BBQ, obviously you offended her.

4. A dental practice would not turn anyone away for being new, again it doesn't make sense.
1. Sorry if this was unclear: the networking event had nothing to do with my husbands job. It was for alumni of Monsters University - I went there for 4 years, and graduated, and belong to the alumni association, so when I received the invitation I went. The event was hosted at a venue owned by husband's coworker's church; she was there because she is also an alum. My name badge clearly said Jane Smith-Jones, Class if 'xx. All local alums were invited so I don't feel I was crossing a line in being there.

2. In a class that interacts largely online, I don't see how a group email is a rude way to invite people to get together.

3. It's rather inconsequential what happened at the BBq, as the coworker did not attend. She was offended becuse I invited her to my home.

4. That's what the dental practice did.

Regarding the cop - I hadn't been here a month when the in incident occurred. It just sticks out in my mind, that this is the reception my family has had here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 09:26 AM

652 posts, read 1,653,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImovedtoYOURFlorida View Post
1. Sorry if this was unclear: the networking event had nothing to do with my husbands job. It was for alumni of Monsters University - I went there for 4 years, and graduated, and belong to the alumni association, so when I received the invitation I went. The event was hosted at a venue owned by husband's coworker's church; she was there because she is also an alum. My name badge clearly said Jane Smith-Jones, Class if 'xx. All local alums were invited so I don't feel I was crossing a line in being there.

2. In a class that interacts largely online, I don't see how a group email is a rude way to invite people to get together.

3. It's rather inconsequential what happened at the BBq, as the coworker did not attend. She was offended becuse I invited her to my home.

4. That's what the dental practice did.

Regarding the cop - I hadn't been here a month when the in incident occurred. It just sticks out in my mind, that this is the reception my family has had here.
I think you don't see how a lot of things happen and why. You are only giving us your side of the story with a few tidbits about what really happened. Try to be more considerate and see things from other people's points of views. A lot of the things you wrote don't make sense, and if they don't chances are that they didn't happen as you think they did.

If you feel everyone is against you....is the problem you or everyone else? What's the common denominator?

Old 07-31-2013, 10:19 AM

411 posts, read 831,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red3311 View Post
stop right there....this is probably why people are being "mean" to you. You are probably full of yourself not because you are a "newcomer"
The whole story is probably false, however if we assume the story is factual I think your assessment is very accurate.

Old 08-01-2013, 01:53 PM

1,076 posts, read 2,369,084 times
Imovedtoyourflorida.... I'm a past FL resident and I highly doubt you are making any of that up. Florida is full of superficial, oblivious and inconsiderate people. If you are not part of what they consider "equal" or "similar" you will get the type of welcome you got. Not to say you aren't equal, or even better but Florida is not a community driven lifestyle It is based on self-wealth... how many toys you have, how big your house is, what car you drive. People don't wave on the streets, and God forbid you wave... you'll get a nasty look.

Be thankful that you were able to easily spot the bad apples up front vs. having them befriend you to just trash talk you or possibly sabotage your ability to be successful in FL, or even sabotage your marriage. That is unfortunately how it is. I lived there for 22 years and believe every bit of what you said. Go to the thread named "Am I the only one becoming more discontent with Florida". It's not just you. Its them.

Old 08-01-2013, 05:04 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,595,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Coleman View Post
welcome to South Florida. I just got out of the military and it's disgusting to say this is South Florida. Between my PTSD and the locals attitude, someone is going to get hurt very fast. So I just stay in the house and away from these beach bums. I'm looking to move toward Orlando area or out of Florida period. I still have a little time on my hands to see how things turn out here. Quick fact though, nobody that lives in South Florida are ORIGINALLY (born and raised) from here. They're either from another country or another state. They've just lived here for 10-15 years. Don't let them fool you
Or if they were born here, their parents or grand parents were born elsewhere.

If you want to avoid traffic, and an impeding road rage incident...you might want to rethink Orlando....

Old 08-01-2013, 06:02 PM

2,962 posts, read 4,998,484 times
Where did you come here from? You don't laugh like Fran Dresher, do you? I really haven't had the problems you have.

Old 08-01-2013, 06:45 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,885,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImovedtoYOURFlorida View Post
I'm an attractive, responsible, well-spoken professional who's lived in several different cities in the US. I've always had a lot of friends... until moving here 2 years ago for my husband's job.

What do you have to do to meet people? Why are people so defensive and childish about newcomers? I have had people start to be nice to me, only to turn on the attitude when they realize I'm a newcomer.

Examples of my experiences thus far in trying to meet people:

- I introduced myself at a networking event to someone who was pointed out as my husband's coworker. While I felt I was perfectly unremarkable, she mentioned to my husband that she didn't appreciate my doing so, and apparently seemed bothered I'd attended the event at all.

- I am taking evening classes for my masters. In a small class of 12, I posted a message on the discussion board of "does anyone want to meet up for a pizza party to celebrate the end of the semester?" No response, and I later heard people were offended that I'd done that.

- I invited a coworker of 1.5 years, whom I thought was a friend, to a BBQ at my home. She no longer speaks to me.

- I was turned down as a new patient at a dental practice, because I was new in town.

I don't get it. I feel like I'm in some weird twilight zone. Is there some regional thing I'm missing, where this stuff is horribly offensive and rude? Help. I just want some friends.
I hate to break it to you, but there are Jerks every where. Other post kind a say the same thing about a mixing pot. The post 1990 folks have no people skills. They are consumed by their electronics. For me growing in the 60-70 it was the norm for neighbors to chit chat. to have pie and just talk.

MOST folks in this generation was raised to say "good Morning /Good evening and open doors for ladies. I continue the practice in hopes of it catches on. One would not believe the looks I get.

Its the right thing to do! Plus you have to participate the good will as well.

Old 08-01-2013, 07:32 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,381,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
I hate to break it to you, but there are Jerks every where. Other post kind a say the same thing about a mixing pot. The post 1990 folks have no people skills. They are consumed by their electronics. For me growing in the 60-70 it was the norm for neighbors to chit chat. to have pie and just talk.

MOST folks in this generation was raised to say "good Morning /Good evening and open doors for ladies. I continue the practice in hopes of it catches on. One would not believe the looks I get.

Its the right thing to do! Plus you have to participate the good will as well.
I can't believe it but im agreeing with you lol....people are just not interested like back when I was a young Adult it was easier to make friends than now and I think as people got older there were more important things....Generations play a big part in it too, with that said my generation well they are all about flash, money and Pretentiousness...and its all about what can you do for me...I hate to say it but its true..It is much more difficult in general to make friends as people don't go out of their way to be nice or say hello or goodbye etc, that is everywhere and I see no reason to be that way....There are some very nice people out there too, Just harder to find!!

Old 08-01-2013, 07:46 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,595,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
I can't believe it but im agreeing with you lol....people are just not interested like back when I was a young Adult it was easier to make friends than now and I think as people got older there were more important things....Generations play a big part in it too, with that said my generation well they are all about flash, money and Pretentiousness...and its all about what can you do for me...I hate to say it but its true..It is much more difficult in general to make friends as people don't go out of their way to be nice or say hello or goodbye etc, that is everywhere and I see no reason to be that way....There are some very nice people out there too, Just harder to find!!
People are more self-centered nowadays....and focused on updating their Facebook status, go to the mall any mall and you see people after people, all age groups with their heads tilted down, their right or left hand holding a smart phone and their eyes glued to it...I even see people walking and doing this, not even looking where they are going. Even when I go out to dinner, I now see kids with iPads and etc...not eating their food ..imagine the future....Disney's Wall-E is not far off...

Old 08-01-2013, 08:36 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,381,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
People are more self-centered nowadays....and focused on updating their Facebook status, go to the mall any mall and you see people after people, all age groups with their heads tilted down, their right or left hand holding a smart phone and their eyes glued to it...I even see people walking and doing this, not even looking where they are going. Even when I go out to dinner, I now see kids with iPads and etc...not eating their food ..imagine the future....Disney's Wall-E is not far off...
Exactly my friend and its unfortunate because my 18 yr son says the same thing people are very self centered and just interested in meeting new people...They have their friends already and their Group and well they are happy with it...I thinks its very sad in my opinion...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area