Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 07:26 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,654,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Shouldn't you actually live in one of these areas before you start telling others to live there? You stated in another post you were thinking of moving to the above.
I have been to these places many times, and have done extensive research on them. I would give them my full blessing.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:02 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isles20 View Post
I have been to these places many times, and have done extensive research on them. I would give them my full blessing.
But you haven't lived there.

It's one thing to share your research with others. It's another to tell someone an area is a great place to live when you've never lived there.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:50 PM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,141,102 times
Tallahassee is nice.

Old 08-24-2013, 07:48 AM

29 posts, read 110,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I just want to point out that Miami is not diverse.
Oh no I wouldn't live in Miami directly I visited and I would definitely have panic attacks with all the commotion lol Miami itself isn't for me but I did enjoy the surrounding areas

Old 08-24-2013, 08:03 AM

2,093 posts, read 5,594,567 times
If you make above the median salaries, like way above, it's a nice place to live, if your at the median or below your going to be struggling without serious budgeting and often "safe" and "good" equals more deductions from your checking account here which will cut into your cash flow.

Of course that is if you can land a good paying job or job period, there is a lot of competition for what's available here and plenty of fools from the elsewhere who think they will move here and work less hours and still afford the COL and hang out at the beach everyday.

Another C/D poster created this video, Epic!

Mock interview of someone who wants to move to Florida. - YouTube

Old 08-24-2013, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
If you make above the median salaries, like way above, it's a nice place to live, if your at the median or below your going to be struggling without serious budgeting and often "safe" and "good" equals more deductions from your checking account here which will cut into your cash flow.

Of course that is if you can land a good paying job or job period, there is a lot of competition for what's available here and plenty of fools from the elsewhere who think they will move here and work less hours and still afford the COL and hang out at the beach everyday.

Another C/D poster created this video, Epic!

Mock interview of someone who wants to move to Florida. - YouTube

Lol that is funny clever and sadly delusional lol but I'm corporate for a major bank transferring my position and pay is not an issue but I want to make a good decision on the area to expose my child in. That's really all I'm struggling with, I've done the research on full COL as well as discussed COL expenses with fellow south floridians the reason the slight increase from Jax to there doesn't bother me, California is 10 times more expensive and with what I make living in a good neighborhood would never be a hard hit on me financially. Now if I went home to so cal that's another story lol

Old 08-24-2013, 08:52 AM

861 posts, read 1,455,701 times
Who do you people care so much about "diversity"? Only thing "diversity" does is cause trouble and even more racism.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:34 AM

2,093 posts, read 5,594,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJGonzalez View Post
Lol that is funny clever and sadly delusional lol but I'm corporate for a major bank transferring my position and pay is not an issue but I want to make a good decision on the area to expose my child in. That's really all I'm struggling with, I've done the research on full COL as well as discussed COL expenses with fellow south floridians the reason the slight increase from Jax to there doesn't bother me, California is 10 times more expensive and with what I make living in a good neighborhood would never be a hard hit on me financially. Now if I went home to so cal that's another story lol
South Florida is way higher than Jax in terms of COL, I suggest you do some further research into the differences here:

Housing, rent, car insurance, gas, homeowners insurance, HOA fees and etc.

If your trying to escape the California stigma, South Florida is probably not the place you want to move. While the COL is lower, it's all relative often and South Florida is slowly creeping up on the Greater San Diego area in terms of COL and some instances it's higher if you choose to live in parts of Miami.

Parts of California are more affordable than much of South Florida, "not 10 times more expensive" just do not choose in one of the popular Metro areas. Even after you take out the high state income tax rate in California, here we pay that in terms of our higher property taxes, home owners insurance and car insurance rates.

I have a friend that left South Florida for the SF Bay area due to the dismal job market here in High Tech, he landed a high level position with a huge company and is easily making over $225K/year from my estimations, sold his house here and bought a house there without an issue. Not typical...but proves my point that COL is all relative to ones salary or job growth potential. He use to pay $500/month HOA, $6K/year property taxes, $3K/year in homeowners insurance, now he has no HOA and lives in a nice safe area that is not a cookie cutter zero lot line South Florida development, lower property taxes and lower insurance. Sure he pays nearly 10% in income tax, that sucks but when you add up his expenses here for the above not even including his car insurance rates which I am sure were over $3K to $4K/year based on the fact he had 3 cars and a teenager who just got a drivers license $$$$. It's not so bad after all. Also he told me is utility bills are way less, was paying upward of $300 to $400/month during peak summer periods for FPL due to the A/C running all the time.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
South Florida is way higher than Jax in terms of COL, I suggest you do some further research into the differences here:

Housing, rent, car insurance, gas, homeowners insurance, HOA fees and etc.

If your trying to escape the California stigma, South Florida is probably not the place you want to move. While the COL is lower, it's all relative often and South Florida is slowly creeping up on the Greater San Diego area in terms of COL and some instances it's higher if you choose to live in parts of Miami.

I guess opinions vary, I have a cousin here who makes a very comfortable living has a nice big home in Southern California but chooses to live in Florida (broward) when I asked when he planned on going Back he said he wouldn't with his experience florida has more to offer to him than California ever could. Again I guess it varies on experience, those in California wish they could leave because its expensive. Either way I like and have enjoyed florida, and going back home is an option but nothing I like or need to choose for right now. I just wanted information on where some good areas are to live. Living in both states ive factored how much each states impacts me financially despite some comments, florida has impacted me postively

Old 08-24-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFisher View Post
Who do you people care so much about "diversity"? Only thing "diversity" does is cause trouble and even more racism.
Lol coming from a diverse area to a segragated area it's safe to say the more "racist" area is clearly the segragated but that's just my opinion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area