Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 04:07 PM

389 posts, read 662,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjoo View Post
My husband and I recently moved to Fort Lauderdale, and reading these threads is sooo discouraging I was hoping that there would be some glimmer of greatness or love for this state, but it seems like most individuals don't have much good to report...

Someone... anyone... please give me some hope that I'm not raising my child in a horrible place ;( Are there any redeeming areas with nice people?!?
The important thing is, do YOU like it here so far? That's what really counts. And if the answer so far is yes, that's an encouraging sign. I hated my first six months in Fort Lauderdale -- and now I've been here 26 years. Even in retirement a few years down the road, our primary home is likely to be here.

No, the area is not for everyone. It's hot and humid in the summer, crowded, fast-paced, expensive, corrupt and, like most large metropolitan areas, can be rude and mean-spirited.

The key is to embrace what you like about this area, be it nice winter weather, tropical foliage, beaches, dining, nightlife, close friends ... whatever. It also helps to have a sense of humor that enables you to laugh at some of the absurd, crazy stuff you'll hear and see (and there's plenty of it).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 02:51 PM

679 posts, read 878,007 times
Four weeks is not enough time to really get to know a place. The things I love about south Florida are the beaches (of course) and the food, both in what's available in the grocery stores, and our restaurants. We've got every cuisine covered!

Give it some time, focus on the positives rather than the negatives, which are many. And I guarantee in January when the rest of the country is freezing, you will LOVE living here!

Old 08-30-2013, 09:11 PM

438 posts, read 653,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjoo View Post
My husband and I recently moved to Fort Lauderdale, and reading these threads is sooo discouraging ...Someone... anyone... please give me some hope that I'm not raising my child in a horrible place...
Well, you asked. Here's my answer: If you decide that here is where you want to be don't let other people's negativity discourage you. If the place was truly 'horrible' there wouldn't be so many people living here.

TBH, I wouldn't recommend SE Florida as a place to move to if you're a young and ambitious person (or couple) with young children...not unless you have a really good support system here (reliable friends, close family) and a solid job offer in a stable industry that's paying you REALLY good money. Its not because SE Florida is the worst place but because it can be very difficult to gain traction and make headway here, because the schools suck, because its so crowded, and because everything is so ridiculously expensive compared to what the average wage earner makes. It may take a long time to really get used to the place, and it can be a challenge to meet people here who aren't needy, or superficial, or who won't try to take advantage of you in some way. But, in many ways its just like most other places. In other words, a lot of what you'll find here is what you'd find in pretty much any major metro area. But it seems worse here because most of the miserable people who are always complaining about how bad it is here refuse to leave. Many are angry that they are not making it here as well as they thought they would be. You will create your own experiences here so don't let other people scare you off.

I plan to move out of SE Florida within the next couple years, not because I hate it but because its not where I want to be anymore. I want country, and green, and big open spaces around me, and a big yard for my kids and my dogs to run up and down in, and mountains, and rivers, and scenery, and a slightly slower pace of life. As they say, different strokes for different folks...

Old 08-31-2013, 09:04 PM

49 posts, read 74,420 times
I live in Hollywood and I absolutely love it. The only thing I don't love is that I haven't been able to convince my siblings to move down here too. Yet.
I think Hollywood has a slower vibe than Miami & Fort Lauderdale but still face paced enough to keep me entertained. I love that I can get anywhere I need to get to on a bicycle year 'round, have access to every kind of professional sports (although the appreciation for college sports is lacking), multiple concert venues and every kind of food you could imagine.
Sure, certain areas of soFla have pretty bad traffic, but not all. It really depends on where you live. If you don't need to drive on 595 or 95 at rush hour, most places aren't that bad.
When you hear people say that the schools are bad, they aren't all bad. My kid's school has been an A school for 14 years straight! They have a music program that is phenomenal, an active PTA and has continued to impress me for years. And yes, it is a public school.
There is plenty of good in south Florida and plenty of good people here too.

Old 10-26-2013, 11:57 AM

3 posts, read 6,616 times
This was written some time ago but feel compelled to respond about living in South Florida. I am a Miami/Coconut Grove native from the 60's before an interstate existed. All we had was the Turnpike. In the 80's, I got married, moved away, lived in many different cities because of my husband's career. My parents were here so visited often.

In 2006, we moved back to Coconut Grove which is my hometown but very expensive. As I approach retiring, looking to go a little north to Fort Lauderdale. I want to be on the beach now. I'm reading the boards to get a feel for the area. So far I've discovered from posters that Lauderdale By The Sea may be worth exploring (if I ignore the posters who said the police ticket you needlessly

So pay little mind to the naysayers on these boards. Get out and enjoy South Florida! You won't find that beauty here on boards.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:51 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,259,424 times
I like South Florida a lot. We lived in Miami 15 years ago and for some reason believed we would like SW Florida so moved to Sarasota. We pretty much got stuck in our house during the RE crash. Now that the market is back, we are selling the house and moving back to Ft. Lauderdale/Miami area. There are definitely more jobs in my field there. What I like about SE Florida is that there is a younger demographic, a faster pace, a big variety of things to do, diversity of people, more tolerance for a diversity of opinions, caribbean-like water and beaches. It feels more active, vibrant and tropical to me, as well. Also love being surrounded by all that water. I'm really looking forward to moving back.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:06 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,692,068 times
South Florida is the only part of the state worth visiting.

Everywhere else in FL is a boring backwater of crap.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:36 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,918,308 times
^^^ That's so ridiculous. Have you been to other parts of FL? Or did you move straight to SoFLA from NY or a foreign country and not ventured out first?

Old 10-27-2013, 12:34 PM

17,307 posts, read 22,039,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkumar3 View Post
I like it here and don't see us moving anywhere anytime soon. People just complain since grass is always greener on the other side.
"the where I was from was the best syndrome, better yet where I am going next will be better!"

Had buddy from a suburb of Chicago, he moved to Flariduh and talked non-stop about "Chi-Town" despite being barely out of high school (meaning he didn't do anything in the city of Chicago while he lived there). He then hated Florida and had his heart set on Peachtree City, GA (never been there but someone in his church moved there and said it was great)........whatever.......some people are always searching for the best of everything and get satisfaction from nothing.

Old 10-27-2013, 05:44 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,692,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
^^^ That's so ridiculous. Have you been to other parts of FL? Or did you move straight to SoFLA from NY or a foreign country and not ventured out first?
No, I'm not from a foreign country and no, I didnt move down from NY, so whats ur point? I said it because it's fact-- I've been all over the state from Jax to Orlando and tampa, sarasota, naples, ft myers, fl kets. It's all mostly boring crap aside from south FL. Just sayin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area