Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 01:45 PM

30 posts, read 93,501 times

Advertisements

My husband and I recently moved to Fort Lauderdale, and reading these threads is sooo discouraging I was hoping that there would be some glimmer of greatness or love for this state, but it seems like most individuals don't have much good to report...

Someone... anyone... please give me some hope that I'm not raising my child in a horrible place ;( Are there any redeeming areas with nice people?!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 02:05 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,653,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjoo View Post
My husband and I recently moved to Fort Lauderdale, and reading these threads is sooo discouraging I was hoping that there would be some glimmer of greatness or love for this state, but it seems like most individuals don't have much good to report...

Someone... anyone... please give me some hope that I'm not raising my child in a horrible place ;( Are there any redeeming areas with nice people?!?
Well...do you like it?

Old 08-25-2013, 02:53 PM

30 posts, read 93,501 times
I just moved here... I have only been here for 4 weeks. Hence my reason for my post. I'm looking for encouragement.

Old 08-25-2013, 03:32 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,686,375 times
ummm, lots of people like it.
Or else it wouldn't be the most crowded densely populated area of Florida.

Miami attracts immigrants from around the world, obviously south FL offers something to people.

Personally, I like it. I can't say I love it, but I like it enough. I find the outdoor pursuits are the reason why. I love the warm waters of the ocean and the beaches, I like the warm breezes at night off the ocean. I like the palm trees and the winter weather is tops. Yes, there are plenty of things to hate about it, but also shouldn't focus on the negative. I focus on the positives here in south FL---u have to.

Yes, theres traffic-- big deal, every major metro has traffic
yes, its hot and humid-- It's borderline tropical, what do u expect?
yes, a lot of ppl can be rude here-- but not everyone.

I'm grateful I live in the area more in the wintre time when the weather moderates and im laying out at the pool in January cuz it's 83 degrees and sunny--- so awesome. I like the international flare as well. It's cool and different yet comfortably American, but so not american feeling at the same time
I like visiting other parts of the state as well like Sarasota, Siesta Key, Key West, Orlando, etc.

I dunno, im just used to it here and there could be a lot worse places to live.

Old 08-25-2013, 04:19 PM

2,805 posts, read 3,252,433 times
I love south Florida and I have been many places but am happiest here. Other than the occasional hurricane, to me south Florida is a sort of paradise. My guess is many of those people who are not happy here would probably be unhappy anywhere they were and I have to wonder why the heck are they here in the first place.

Old 08-25-2013, 04:42 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,882,876 times
Default Don't worry about theUnhappy people

I move around the country and Home is where you hang your hat. There is distractors because they think life is a fairy tail.

If I had that transfer new Job (which I may)I would move tonight. There is a reason why Florida is the Number One Destination City in the country.

let the stupid people pass you in traffic and watch for those Caribbean Hard wide turn (take 2 lanes to make a right turn) Try not to reinvent the wheel and understand that Florida is different where you come from.

In no time you will friends and we will have you (saying "You all) and partaking in Rum Runner Fridays!

You be introduce to Pirate Lingo"Arrrrrrr" and You will be a Rum Expert in no time. There are thing to do other than the beach and South Florida has wonder cultural Festivals to let understand Florida truly.

Florida is a great life style once you settle in. It will take a good year!

Old 08-25-2013, 06:49 PM

142 posts, read 439,485 times
I've been here almost a year and I'm perfectly happy. Just bought a house, great schools for my kids, the weather was manageable, while hubby's job has a longer commute, it hasn't been too bad. I've met some great friends. And so on. But I totally agree with the above, home is where you hang your hat. I've come here knowing it would be different than what I'm used to. But with a positive outlook, we are very happy!

Old 08-25-2013, 07:15 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,823,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjoo View Post

I like it here a lot, I have been here for 13+ years.

I think some people expected something different when they moved here.

Others are never happy with anything.

Some others got hit pretty hard by the crisis...

Old 08-25-2013, 08:47 PM

423 posts, read 1,642,548 times
I like it here and don't see us moving anywhere anytime soon. People just complain since grass is always greener on the other side.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:35 AM

8,061 posts, read 4,882,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingHome View Post
I've been here almost a year and I'm perfectly happy. Just bought a house, great schools for my kids, the weather was manageable, while hubby's job has a longer commute, it hasn't been too bad. I've met some great friends. And so on. But I totally agree with the above, home is where you hang your hat. I've come here knowing it would be different than what I'm used to. But with a positive outlook, we are very happy!
God bless you and your Fam. If more Trans plant had you good mental outlook in life. The other brave thing which is the hardest to make friends and establish roots.

Trans plants would not called Yankees. Because they wish a new improved version from where they are from.

Sound like you have rolled into being Floridian!

You will enjoy the lifestyle!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area