Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 03:04 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,469,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Sorry, my bad. I was just riffing on an Adam Carolla clip I heard, where he said the problem with LA is that it isn't diverse enough and needs more diversity.

Broward had a good mix of people when I lived there, nice to know it has retained that quality. Miami was also much the same when I lived there, and I haven't been back in many years, but the impression I get from reading, watching and listening via the internet and other media is that Miami is losing its mix in favor of a heavy Latino population. NTTAWWT.
Miami has that problem, not Broward. Broward is probably the most diverse county in the Southeastern U.S. You have basically 1/3 white, 1/3 black, and 1/3 Hispanic. With some other ethnic groups mixed in. Miami is predominantly Latin, so it lacks the diversity of Fort Lauderdale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 09:40 PM

157 posts, read 332,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Whitman View Post
What are your neighbors doing that is animal like to make you want to move out of the state? Taking dumps on the sidewalk...
I have three pics in my phone of public pooping. A) Sidewalk in Las Olas; B) Aisle in Pompano Walmart; C) On the front steps of a local business. I also have several pics of "diaper bombs" in the Pompano Walmart (and eaten chicken bones stashed in the shelves). Shall I forward them to you?

Animals? Yes. Absolutely.

Old 03-16-2014, 12:18 PM

17 posts, read 22,993 times
I honestly don't feel like reading all 12 pages right now but I will comment on the first three I read.

Broward is part of the Miami area. It's not part of the city of Miami but it is part of Miami as in part of the Miami area/metro/metropolitan area.

This is one of the problems of the Miami area, BTW. I'm born and raised in NYC, lived in the suburbs and for the last 20+ years have lived here, in Miami city, suburbs in dade, broward and palm beach. And I can tell you that a lot of people didn't even know that this is a major metro area. And some still don't but thank God that has changed a d is getting better all the time. Some people didn't/don't even know what a metro area is. A lot didn't know that Miami is a city and the rest suburbs. To their defense though, Miami wasn't exactly run like city all those yeas ago, which is one reason why the area was so sprawled out. Some people claimed and still claim that ft. Lauderdale and west palm are cities like Miami and NYC, or cities like forth worth or like Newark, and that's just a cruel, cruel joke. Another problem is the ignorance. Some people make these statements because of their ignorance and they don't like that Miami is majority Latin. Well, that had to be known.

Lastly, broward is part of a metro area, so of course there's a chance there will be areas that aren't nice. There are NYC suburbs that aren't nice too, just like other metro areas too.

The NYC metro area is very similar to the Miami metro area. I say this because there are people that praise NYC or it's metro but talk crap about Miami or it's metro.

And no, broward didn't get areas that aren't nice because of hurricane Andrew.

And just so you know, pompano used to be the most dangerous in the entire country some years back!

Old 03-16-2014, 12:44 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,892,301 times
The latest round of deterioration is from crash 2008 when even cute little clean upkept communities like Mainlands Tamarac became a mess.

6-8 Adults living in 800 sq ft (meant for ONE COUPLE), front lawns filled with random groups of loud people for hours, and dogs running all over the community, kids trying to have [fake] pit bull fights in the street, trash piled up to the roof next to full trash cans, crap stored outside, cars all over etc etc etc.

Little houses that peaked at $240K dropped to $75K and all they were interested in was warm bodies with a check to pay the rent on houses headed towards foreclosure.

I never went back and hope it straightened out but I have my doubts. I imagine a couple of the Mainlands survived that were 55+ but even in them I noticed a ton of deferred maintenance and stuff like broken "things" all over the back yards. NOT SO before this time.

I flew down to see a rental in Coral Ridge and the next door duplex neighbor had mattresses on the front porch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Miller View Post
I have three pics in my phone of public pooping. A) Sidewalk in Las Olas; B) Aisle in Pompano Walmart; C) On the front steps of a local business. I also have several pics of "diaper bombs" in the Pompano Walmart (and eaten chicken bones stashed in the shelves). Shall I forward them to you?

Animals? Yes. Absolutely.
My son had a friend pooping in his bathroom trash can when he visited.

He finally summoned up the nerve to ask about it since he basically liked the kid and was WTF'G.

"Kid" as in 22 years old.

They came here from somewhere without plumbing so the parents didn't trust the plumbing here or some crap, so everybody had to use a trash can for YEARS.

Old 03-16-2014, 09:47 PM

224 posts, read 321,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl1940 View Post
The majority of people who like living in So. Florida are people ( immigrants ) that immigrated from 3rd world countries, from Central and South America, where life is cheap, dirty and dishonesty is a way of life. The last 10 years a lot of Europeans also immigrated to Miami. Today, So. Florida is an entry point for immigrants looking to begin their life in the USA. However, these new immigrants are totally different than the immigrants that flooded the US in late 18th-19th centuries. Those immigrants were from Europe, had diginity and were motived to speak english and adopt to the American way of life .... Today's mostly Latin immigrants coming in to Miami today are totally the opposite, unfortunately, and the US has suffered because of this.
kinda like europeans who came to this continent, refused to learn the native languages and commited widescale ethnic cleansing / genocide, right?

Old 03-18-2014, 11:15 AM

65 posts, read 156,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightfapper View Post
kinda like europeans who came to this continent, refused to learn the native languages and commited widescale ethnic cleansing / genocide, right?

Not sure if you studied history in school, but the European immigrants he was talking about that flooded America (1890-1910) approx, (predominantly Italian, Irish, Greek, Polish, Eastern Europe) had nothing to do with killing Indian Tribes. Maybe you were referring to the English settlers like 100 years before?

Old 03-19-2014, 01:48 AM

224 posts, read 321,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNG12977 View Post
Not sure if you studied history in school, but the European immigrants he was talking about that flooded America (1890-1910) approx, (predominantly Italian, Irish, Greek, Polish, Eastern Europe) had nothing to do with killing Indian Tribes. Maybe you were referring to the English settlers like 100 years before?
oh, i get the point he was trying to make about assimilation.

the reality is there were plenty of europeans who came here during that period who didn't learn the language and integrate into american culture either. how many little italies existed in this nation?

when i lived in latin america there were countless americans who after 20 years in a country couldn't string two words together in spanish. same thing happened all over central europe.

asians, the "model minority" are far from immune, have you ever been to china town? i purchased a retail property two years ago that was owned by chinese immigrants. they ran a successful market here for many years, catering to their community and spoke extremely poor english. they ended up acquiring a bunch of strip malls over time and amassed a sizable fortune.

when i purchased their building, their son had to translate everything. it wasn't some kind of negotiation tactic, they just really had bad grasp on the language.

the reality is, miami is at risk of losing its competetive edge, as spanish proficiency is declining with the new generation. not to mention the loss of culture, 100% of those kids speak english, a far lower percentage are fluent in spanish. it's sad.

what i have noticed, however, is that most of these people with anti-immigrant sentiments probably couldn't hack it if they needed to relocate to another country. virtually all don't even speak a foreign language and have zero understanding of how difficult integration is.

they just label everyone "lazy", it's disgusting.

Old 03-20-2014, 03:34 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,469,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.W60 View Post
I honestly don't feel like reading all 12 pages right now but I will comment on the first three I read.

Broward is part of the Miami area. It's not part of the city of Miami but it is part of Miami as in part of the Miami area/metro/metropolitan area.

This is one of the problems of the Miami area, BTW. I'm born and raised in NYC, lived in the suburbs and for the last 20+ years have lived here, in Miami city, suburbs in dade, broward and palm beach. And I can tell you that a lot of people didn't even know that this is a major metro area. And some still don't but thank God that has changed a d is getting better all the time. Some people didn't/don't even know what a metro area is. A lot didn't know that Miami is a city and the rest suburbs. To their defense though, Miami wasn't exactly run like city all those yeas ago, which is one reason why the area was so sprawled out. Some people claimed and still claim that ft. Lauderdale and west palm are cities like Miami and NYC, or cities like forth worth or like Newark, and that's just a cruel, cruel joke. Another problem is the ignorance. Some people make these statements because of their ignorance and they don't like that Miami is majority Latin. Well, that had to be known.

Lastly, broward is part of a metro area, so of course there's a chance there will be areas that aren't nice. There are NYC suburbs that aren't nice too, just like other metro areas too.

The NYC metro area is very similar to the Miami metro area. I say this because there are people that praise NYC or it's metro but talk crap about Miami or it's metro.

And no, broward didn't get areas that aren't nice because of hurricane Andrew.

And just so you know, pompano used to be the most dangerous in the entire country some years back!
I mostly agree with you about the metro area thing. My only difference with you is that Fort Lauderdale is autonomous from Miami. Fort Lauderdale has its own airport, its own beaches, its own entertainment and attractions. It is unnecessary for someone who lives in Broward County to ever have to go to Miami unless they work there. So I would not agree that Fort Lauderdale is just another suburb. It has all of its own conveniences.

In other metro areas, such as NYC, L.A., Chicago, and even southern cities like Atlanta, Charlotte, etc, everything revolves around the central city. People who live in the suburbs often go into the city via train or bus or drive in for work, entertainment, etc. The same is not true for South FL, except for those young people who go clubbing on South Beach.

I love Miami, but I live in Broward and I rarely go to Miami. It is not necessary since I can do everything I need/want in Broward without putting up with terrible traffic, parking, etc.

Old 03-21-2014, 08:04 PM

21 posts, read 44,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNG12977 View Post
I think a lot of people that live in South Florida or have left are just frustrated with what has become of it, really it's the middle class. If you are wealthy you can afford to mostly avoid all the riff-raff. It has turned into a place where it's really only for the wealthy and dirt poor, not good to be middle class there (exactly how most 3rd world countries are). Yes, it is a beautiful place (within .5 miles of the ocean, canals, inside expensive gated communities). It's just a shame that unlike most places, if you are middle class you can't really have a great quality of life there. Of course David Beckham likes South Florida, he can afford to live in a luxury, gated secure compound on the ocean or bay and doesn't have to overpay for a mediocre home, that 5 blocks away could be a really bad area. If South Florida had reasonable taxes, insurance rates, pay with on par with the cost of living and not an area where all the riff raff move to, it would be a great place.
SO Spot on! I was born and raised here and now I am working middle class and moving out of town this summer because of pretty much what you stated. My family of 4 is moving to NYS and I keep hearing people preaching about the state income tax and property taxes...well guess what we are paying $4,000 in taxes here, $4,000 home insurance, almost $2000 auto...for a mediocre quality of life. We live on a good street but go 3 streets up and you are in a bad neighborhood. Beaches are nice, sure...if you want to hang out with strangers because you are 2 feet away from you. Ft. Lauderdale would be amazing if I could afford a million dollar house in a wealthy neighborhood.

Old 03-21-2014, 08:22 PM

21 posts, read 44,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
But, what I dont understand is, is what about S FL would attract normal people to it, when you admittedly say that the ppl dont know how to act, are nuts, and are over the top? But you will willingly be around that environment? Why? Because the winter weather is warm? I just dont see the draw? The negatives far outweigh the positives, in my opinion.

I was born in S FL, so I know exactly what its like and what it used to be like. Even though I'm only in my early 30s, I know what it was like in the 80s and even early 90s.
I am right there with you...I am in my early 30s and grew up here...I see the difference between then and now .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area