Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 03:50 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,180,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Whitman View Post
I see the term "animal like people" and "zoo like" in this thread alot. What exactly is that referring to -black people?
Uh, you're the one making that linkage. Is that your normal sort of thought association?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 04:25 PM

OK, Nolefan, I looked back at your post and realized I bit your face off without considering a good point you made about looking back. Yep, I DO look back with nostalgia on what I consider the good old days of Ft. Lauderdale.

I don't look back in terms of wanting to move back, those days are most definitely over. But I wish younger folks could have some of the same lifestyle that was possible back in the day. A person could live very nicely and have a great time without a whole lot of money in Broward, and I just don't see how that's possible anymore without a great deal of ingenuity. Plus it was a lot more safe. I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting younger folks to have the same advantages that I had when I lived there. God knows they deserve it, considering what many have had to go through during the economic downturn.

And when I moved to Florida back in the 80s, friends and family up north looked down on it. I didn't let it bother me, I was too busy enjoying every minute. Not that it was all a bed of roses, but for me, it sure beat the heck out of the Northeast.

Old 02-26-2014, 05:15 PM

15 posts, read 40,330 times
The animal's in SoFla come in all colors, shapes and sizes!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Uh, you're the one making that linkage. Is that your normal sort of thought association?

Old 02-26-2014, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mount of Counti Christo View Post
The animal's in SoFla come in all colors, shapes and sizes!!!
Ha-ha, yes, I get it. It's just that I'm so danged weary of these self-appointed word/thought Nazis looking for racism in everyone's sock drawer. I was just demonstrating that their real worry (though they may not realize it) is their own thought processes, which they project onto others, so they feel they have to police everyone else.

This is off-topic, but here's a great smackdown that Samuel L. Jackson delivered to a phony liberal entertainment reporter in California. I laughed so hard I had tears coming out my eyes:

Anchor Confuses Samuel L. Jackson with Laurence Fishburne live on air KTLA - YouTube

You just KNOW the reporter considers himself a real egalitarian who thinks the right thoughts and has the proper social attitudes and Jackson demonstrated otherwise to him. Priceless.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:41 PM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
I don't look back in terms of wanting to move back, those days are most definitely over. But I wish younger folks could have some of the same lifestyle that was possible back in the day. A person could live very nicely and have a great time without a whole lot of money in Broward, and I just don't see how that's possible anymore without a great deal of ingenuity.
That's pretty much exactly the same in San Francisco, Los Angeles, Seattle, Portland, Denver, etc. Back 30-40 years ago, a young person could live there, get an apartment without roommates, and enjoy life. They could be in the heart of San Francisco or a beach in California, etc.

Those days are pretty much gone throughout most of the desirable parts of the U.S. Hence the reason so many young people are considering 'revitalizing bad neighborhoods' in cities like Detroit, Washington DC, Brooklyn, etc. It's not because young college-educated people like dangerous neighborhoods, it's just that that is what all that is affordable to this generation.

I think we all wish that life was like your generation, where families could thrive on a single income, where anyone with a college education could get any job, buying a house was a good deal, etc. But those days are long gone. Giving advice NOT to move somewhere because the entire country has changed, is advice that people have to dismiss these days.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
That's pretty much exactly the same in San Francisco, Los Angeles, Seattle, Portland, Denver, etc. Back 30-40 years ago, a young person could live there, get an apartment without roommates, and enjoy life. They could be in the heart of San Francisco or a beach in California, etc.

Those days are pretty much gone throughout most of the desirable parts of the U.S. Hence the reason so many young people are considering 'revitalizing bad neighborhoods' in cities like Detroit, Washington DC, Brooklyn, etc. It's not because young college-educated people like dangerous neighborhoods, it's just that that is what all that is affordable to this generation.

I think we all wish that life was like your generation, where families could thrive on a single income, where anyone with a college education could get any job, buying a house was a good deal, etc. But those days are long gone. Giving advice NOT to move somewhere because the entire country has changed, is advice that people have to dismiss these days.
I don't think we should just throw in the towel and give up, though. Older people have a responsibility toward younger people, whether they like it or not. It's up to those who can speak up to try to do something. Again, off topic, but it's my opinion that there should be an amnesty on student loans. Many of these loans were big scams perpetrated on younger folks, loading them up with debt they can never hope to pay off. Wipe it out, sweep the board, give them a fresh start. Before we grant "amnesty" to illegal immigrants, how about a little something to make life better for our young citizens? They're the ones who need an amnesty. Then maybe they'd have a little more money to enjoy places like South Florida, buy a decent place to live and fix it up, start a new business, that sort of thing.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:08 PM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
I don't think we should just throw in the towel and give up, though. Older people have a responsibility toward younger people, whether they like it or not. It's up to those who can speak up to try to do something. Again, off topic, but it's my opinion that there should be an amnesty on student loans. Many of these loans were big scams perpetrated on younger folks, loading them up with debt they can never hope to pay off. Wipe it out, sweep the board, give them a fresh start. Before we grant "amnesty" to illegal immigrants, how about a little something to make life better for our young citizens? They're the ones who need an amnesty. Then maybe they'd have a little more money to enjoy places like South Florida, buy a decent place to live and fix it up, start a new business, that sort of thing.
Well, there is no pot of money sitting in an Education/Illegals continuum that decides Education fees go up so Illegal Immigrants get Amnesty.

I strongly agree that Education is way too expensive. But its not illegals forcing Educational Institutions to overcharge students. And, American Educational institutions are overcharging students all across the United States, it's not unique to South Florida.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:17 PM

27 posts, read 31,639 times
OP, this is a problem in most of FL. The solution is to move closer to were you work. Unfortunately, most Floridians are obsessed with the Suburbia mentality.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Well, there is no pot of money sitting in an Education/Illegals continuum that decides Education fees go up so Illegal Immigrants get Amnesty.

I strongly agree that Education is way too expensive. But its not illegals forcing Educational Institutions to overcharge students. And, American Educational institutions are overcharging students all across the United States, it's not unique to South Florida.
Actually there is. The cost of the shamnasty would be enormous, and would come from the taxpayers, of course. The cost of wiping out the student loans would come from the taxpayers, seeing as how the agency SallieMae (or whatever it is, I get the gov't acronyms all mixed up) guarantees those loans and FORBIDS them to be discharged in bankruptcy. I would allocate the cost of the shamnasty to the student loans. It can and should absolutely be done.

Getting back to South Florida, I have no problem with people living there if they want to. It's just not for me anymore, for the reasons stated. I don't know how many times I have to say this. It's just my opinion that it has developed beyond its carrying capacity, but that won't be obvious until some crisis hits, like another hurricane or other event. Heck, look what happened in Atlanta because of a little snow and ice, and they knew it was coming.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:59 PM

15 posts, read 40,330 times
Quote:
...It's just my opinion that it has developed beyond its carrying capacity, but that won't be obvious until some crisis hits, like another hurricane or other event. Heck, look what happened in Atlanta because of a little snow and ice, and they knew it was coming.
Yup, it's not going to be pretty when that happens. Enough motivation for me to not want to reside there.

Ironically, back in 2005 when we had several hurricanes come through and lost power for about a week in Tamarac that's the only time my neighbors came out of there air conditioned dungeons, plus they couldn't get to work anyway, we had a great time playing soccer!! I enjoyed the quiet till the generators got fired up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area