Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 08:38 PM

117 posts, read 281,408 times

Advertisements

I am doing some research for a family member moving to FL. Currently she wants to live in Weston and work in Miami (Brickelle). She has 3 young kids so she picked Weston based on school district.

How long is the commute? From my research I estimate 40min no traffic and up to an hour and a half during rush hours.

What can one expect to pay in closing costs when purchasing a single fam. home in this area? For example, are there any city/state recording taxes, estimated attorney fees, anything else that is common? I am looking for a ball park figure. I assume the seller pays any commission fees.

Is Weston a great place to live?

tia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2013, 07:34 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,827,848 times
Yes, Weston is a great place to live.

But the commute to Brickell won't be easy.

Closing costs will include recording and stamp fees, loan processing fees, title insurance fees, prorated property taxes.

Seller pays the commission.

Old 10-13-2013, 01:44 PM

334 posts, read 625,994 times
during rush hour could be a two hour trip. https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=...e91c0ce9b49c06

this is a crime map for broward, google the one for Dade. hope it helps. also goggle maps, from work address to westin. it will give you a pretty accurate time, BUT you have to do it different times of the day. good luck, man, I sure wouldn't try and raise kids there.

Old 10-13-2013, 05:32 PM

where?

Old 10-14-2013, 08:55 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,254,148 times
1. Owner's Title Insurance Policy: Cost based upon
purchase price but roughly a little over .50% of purchase price

2. Settlement Fee $595
3. Survey $325 & up
4. Simultaneous Issue of Mtg. Title Ins. $250
5. Endorsements - lender required Promulgated rate
6. Doc. Stamps on Mortgage 35¢ per $100
7. Intangible Tax on Note 20¢ per $100
8. Recording Fees (Deed, Condo Approval &
Mortgage) 1st Page - $10
add'l pgs - $8.50

Taken from a title company site here

Lawyers usually have set fees as well, best to check with a lawyer of your choice.

Old 10-14-2013, 03:12 PM

142 posts, read 439,714 times
We moved to Weston a year ago. Love it. Especially with kids.

Just bought a house in August. Are you wondering the fees that you'll need, as in cash down? Because we had to put a TON in escrow. Or just fees like title, appraisal, recording fees, transfer fees and so on.

I don't know about the commute, but it doesn't sound fun. I know people do it, but my husband works in North Miami and that's plenty far for us!

Old 10-14-2013, 04:57 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,259,424 times
I am also relocating to that area and because I am a paralegal, I looked at working on Brickell and also talked to other people who work there. The problem is when you get near Brickell, the traffic just gridlocks and apparently the longest part of the commute is close to Brickell. One woman told me she leaves her car at a parking lot and takes the metromover to avoid driving to Brickell. Another said she has to get to her Brickell office at 7:30 am or not get there until 10:00. Also parking is limited and can be expensive. Frankly, I decided if I wasn't going to live near Brickell, I could not stand the commute, so I'm looking to work and live further north in Miami Bch or Ft. Lauderdale as I have heard it is a somewhat easier commute.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:48 AM

191 posts, read 317,746 times
Is working on Brickell a requirement? Because if not, I wouldn't want to make that drive every day.

I worked on Brickell for years, thankfully our company moved out about 10 years ago. The traffic was bad then, and has progressed to ridiculous. I wouldn't want to work on Brickell unless I actually lived within walking distance.

If working on Brickell isn't a requirement, I would look for work somewhere on the western side of Broward if I wanted to live in Weston.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:15 AM

You can work in Fort Lauderdale too if you live in Weston.

Old 10-15-2013, 03:53 PM

411 posts, read 831,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tiny View Post
I am doing some research for a family member moving to FL. Currently she wants to live in Weston and work in Miami (Brickelle). She has 3 young kids so she picked Weston based on school district.

How long is the commute? From my research I estimate 40min no traffic and up to an hour and a half during rush hours.

What can one expect to pay in closing costs when purchasing a single fam. home in this area? For example, are there any city/state recording taxes, estimated attorney fees, anything else that is common? I am looking for a ball park figure. I assume the seller pays any commission fees.

Is Weston a great place to live?

tia
Since your family member will be working in Brickell, living in Weston would be a highly irresponsible and reckless decision, especially since your family member has three young children. Your family member will be wasting an unnecessary amount of time in her automobile when the time would be better spent with her three young children. With that in mind, please tell your family member to be responsible and look into the numerous housing options that are right next to Brickell and to not just be another moron clogging our roadways up with unnecessary travel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area