Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 04:03 PM

6 posts, read 16,891 times

Advertisements

My family is relocating from London to Florida and I need some advice on where we should live.

My husband's office will be in Ft Lauderdale so we need something reasonably close. I don't want him to have to drive for hours in traffic.

We have one toddler who is almost 2 and another baby on the way. So ideally we need a safe neighbourhood that is family friendly. I have been researching schools because a good public school is very important. Based on what I can see online, Parkland and Boca Raton both stand out as good options. I would love some local knowledge on each area.

We plan to come out soon to take a look but any advice from people who actually live there would be very helpful.

Our budget is in the 500,000 range and I can see by the real estate websites that we should be able to find a home in both areas.

(I am going to post this here and in the Boca Raton forum because I see they are separated on this site)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 04:47 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,827,848 times
Parkland is super nice, but my clients get a feeling that it is overpriced. Also Parkland is kind of out there, there is no direct highway going to Fort Lauderdale. Also Parkland is kind of far from all the airports.

Boca is very nice too.

Where in Fort Lauderdale is your husband's office?

You should also consider Weston. Your $500K will go a longer way in Weston than in Parkland, and probably than in Boca too.
Weston is nice and safe all-around - there are no bad areas to worry about. And the schools are very good.
It is only 30 min away from Fort Lauderdale.
Weston, FL - Best Places to Live - Money Magazine

Old 03-01-2014, 01:41 AM

I looked at Weston but got concerned when I read that it has a very high spanish speaking population. I do realize that Florida has lots of people who speak Spanish and that's fine. But I worry about sending my daughter to school with so many children who need to learn english. I fear that she will be negatively impacted by teachers having to spend so much time teaching english instead of the normal school curriculum.

Based on what I can see, that won't be as much of an issue in Boca and Parkland.

Old 03-01-2014, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erniebert1 View Post
I looked at Weston but got concerned when I read that it has a very high spanish speaking population. I do realize that Florida has lots of people who speak Spanish and that's fine. But I worry about sending my daughter to school with so many children who need to learn english. I fear that she will be negatively impacted by teachers having to spend so much time teaching english instead of the normal school curriculum.

Based on what I can see, that won't be as much of an issue in Boca and Parkland.
We don't speak a lick of Spanish, have lived in Weston for 14 years, my kids are doing great at school (high school by now).

You got a wrong impression.

The whole Spanish speaking population of Weston speak English quite well.

Old 03-01-2014, 04:38 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,207,841 times
Truthfully, sorry Ruski...if the language is a problem for you then do not consider Weston. We loved Weston but the top reason we left was the language barrier. Ruski I know you promote Weston as a realtor but you need to be honest also. If buying a home which is a huge investment & lifestyle mistake can be costly not just with $$. Emotional mistakes take a toll as well. Spanish is the #1 language in Weston if you spend some time there you will see it first hand. Parkland is an excellent choice Ernie.

Good luck...just my point of view & observation as having lived in Weston for 7 yrs. No longer there.

Old 03-01-2014, 09:32 PM

So how have I survived in Weston for 14 years without speaking any Spanish?

Old 03-01-2014, 09:33 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,379,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
Truthfully, sorry Ruski...if the language is a problem for you then do not consider Weston. We loved Weston but the top reason we left was the language barrier. Ruski I know you promote Weston as a realtor but you need to be honest also. If buying a home which is a huge investment & lifestyle mistake can be costly not just with $$. Emotional mistakes take a toll as well. Spanish is the #1 language in Weston if you spend some time there you will see it first hand. Parkland is an excellent choice Ernie.

Good luck...just my point of view & observation as having lived in Weston for 7 yrs. No longer there.
great post and very truthful....

This was a huge decision for us years ago why we wound up in Boca...a very good friend of mine lives in weston 18 yrs now and she was telling me how much it changed, we spent quite a bit of time in weston, very pretty but wasnt for y
us..

Old 03-01-2014, 10:58 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,207,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
So how have I survived in Weston for 14 years without speaking any Spanish?

That is your choice Ruski. The OP clearly said that Spanish language would be a problem for HER. She has the right to every opinion . I am completely honest when it comes to language barrier in area. To recommend area that is mostly Spanish speaking to a person that is trying to avoid it is just plain wrong & unprofessional.

To each their own.

Old 03-01-2014, 11:38 PM

Thanks for all the advice. It is very helpful. I am quite overwhelmed by this move and can use all the help I can get.

Old 03-02-2014, 09:54 AM

65 posts, read 156,924 times
OP, except for some cheap condos on Lakeview/Racquet Club Dr and I believe 2 apartment complexes, the rif raf is priced out of Weston, so you don't have to worry about that. If you feel more comfortable around Caucasians and English spoken then I would choose Boca or Parkland. I lived in Weston for 4 years and used to joke that Weston is run by the Colombian mafia, and that was 04-08. I'm sure it's worse now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area