Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 11:23 PM

59 posts, read 115,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootzdread View Post
Sunrise has greater areas than Pembroke Pines and Miramar so to call the whole city of Sunrise ghetto is really incorrect.
I agree 100% The entire area near the Sawgrass Mall for example is pretty nice, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 07:26 AM

3,910 posts, read 9,441,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootzdread View Post
Weston is NOT the best choice. Being so far west by the Everglades, how is that better? I'd pick Eastern Fort Lauderdale over Weston any day.
The original poster asked for a "family-friendly" area. Fort Lauderdale is not family-friendly compared to the western suburbs. The schools are not the same.Otherwise, I would agree with you since I prefer eastern Fort Lauderdale over anywhere else.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACast View Post
Broward County is sociologically divided between East and West. It's not as prevalent in the Northern part of the County, but it certainly is when you compare Ft Lauderdale/Eastern Ft Lauderdale to the Western suburbs. I guess it really all depends on your preference of living in a more densely populated "city-like" area where there's more traffic and parking is not always easy to find (i.e. Las Olas, downtown, the Beach) or if you prefer the suburbs where things are much more spread out.

People on the East side simply LOVE the East side. Your close to everything.
Here's my perspective. Are you car dependent? What's your tolerance for traffic? Are you okay w/ older construction and/or living in a high rise condo with not much of a backyard?
You will find pockets of exceptions as I would never try to paint a whole area with one broad stroke, but without speaking into specifics, the overall feel of East vs West is quite different. It just depends on what suits you best. I will agree in that its a much more active area and definitely less hectic than Miami.
The problems you mention with traffic, parking, and beaches are WAY over-exaggerated. Traffic in Eastern Ft. Lauderdale is NOT bad at all compared to the western suburbs. It is no worse than Coral Springs or Pembroke Pines. Driving on US1 in peak rush hour is a cakewalk. Parking is only an issue in prime nightlife areas such as Las Olas. Everywhere else, such as grocery stores, parking is no worse.

There are no beaches in the western suburbs, so those people have to commute all the way east and STILL put up with the same parking situation. If they relocated the beaches to Weston, do you really think the parking situation would improve?

Old 05-05-2014, 09:21 PM

19 posts, read 23,379 times
Could you let me know if the following is an area you would recomment we rent in?
Colonnade Residences
1640 NW 128 DRIVE, SUNRISE, FL 33323
If not, do you have any suggestions as to where we could rent for 6-12 months while we get to know the area and decide if we would want to buy?
Thank you so much!

Old 05-05-2014, 10:57 PM

32 posts, read 52,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelucula View Post
Could you let me know if the following is an area you would recomment we rent in?
Colonnade Residences
1640 NW 128 DRIVE, SUNRISE, FL 33323
It's a very 'busy' area with traffic due to all of the shopping nearby. I can't speak to the quality of that actual community, but overall that area is amongst the most desirable in Sunrise.

Old 05-07-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACast View Post
It's a very 'busy' area with traffic due to all of the shopping nearby. I can't speak to the quality of that actual community, but overall that area is amongst the most desirable in Sunrise.
Ehhh, yeah its somewhat busy but so is everywhere else in South FL. Fort Lauderdale, Plantation, Davie, Hollywood, are all busy. I agree about it being a good area. I've driven by the community and it looks nice. Its very new, built within the last 5 years or so.

Old 05-07-2014, 03:08 PM

Unlike the original poster, it will just be my husband and me. No kids, so although I am not looking for a “family friendly” environment, I am interested in finding a safe/central spot from that is close to his office and that will allows us to live comfortably while we truly get to know there area (Weston, Plantation, Ft Lauderdale,etc.) and decide where to buy a home.
We were looking at TAO, then I read they had a shooting there not too long ago. So it may be wise to stay away from “luxury” condos for now.
I appreciate the feedback.
I like Colonnade Residences because they have units with attached garages. I hear it rains a lot down there so I like the convenience of an attached garage.

Old 05-07-2014, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelucula View Post
Unlike the original poster, it will just be my husband and me. No kids, so although I am not looking for a “family friendly” environment, I am interested in finding a safe/central spot from that is close to his office and that will allows us to live comfortably while we truly get to know there area (Weston, Plantation, Ft Lauderdale,etc.) and decide where to buy a home.
We were looking at TAO, then I read they had a shooting there not too long ago. So it may be wise to stay away from “luxury” condos for now.
I appreciate the feedback.
I like Colonnade Residences because they have units with attached garages. I hear it rains a lot down there so I like the convenience of an attached garage.
TAO is an upscale building in an above average area. If there was a shooting, it was an isolated event that could happen anywhere. Johnny Versace was shot dead in front of his Star Island mansion. Star Island is the richest neighborhood in America. OJ killed in Beverly Hills. Does this mean you should avoid those neighborhoods?

Old 05-09-2014, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
TAO is an upscale building in an above average area. If there was a shooting, it was an isolated event that could happen anywhere. Johnny Versace was shot dead in front of his Star Island mansion. Star Island is the richest neighborhood in America. OJ killed in Beverly Hills. Does this mean you should avoid those neighborhoods?
you got a point!

Old 05-09-2014, 08:28 PM

157 posts, read 331,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
Johnny Versace was shot dead in front of his Star Island mansion.
"Johnny" Versace? "Star Island mansion"?!? Gianni Versace was murdered in front of his mansion at 1116 Ocean Drive, nowhere near Star Island (about 4 miles away). And Star Island is nowhere near the " richest neighborhood in America". (Not even close: http://www.forbes.com/sites/tomvanri...ighborhoods-2/ ).
Oh, and Sunrise is a sheethole, TAO or not.

Last edited by Jim_Miller; 05-09-2014 at 08:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area