Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 01:52 PM

33 posts, read 49,027 times

Advertisements

Kickball, as others have mentioned, but if you work at 10pm you may miss a few of the later games. Also look at meetup.com as they have tons of things to do around the area.

I had the same troubles when I moved here, but the kickball/meetups helped a ton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 02:40 PM

440 posts, read 517,504 times
Default Feel Lucky

You might consider feeling lucky that you haven't met many people in this area because so many of the people here are just trash and users. The majority of the people here who are decent don't go out and don't socialize because they've ended up being victims of the scum that's out there. That's why you don't find people to be too friendly here as they're watching out for themselves. I had a room-mate I found through a posting who tried to keep all my furniture by having the landlord change the locks after he told the landlord I was a drug dealer. Oh right, a drug dealer with a stranger as a room-mate moving into your apartment to help you with the rent so you wouldn't be evicted in a building with a door man and security cameras in the lobby and every floor.
Another "friend" I was going to rent a house with started lighting up a crystal meth pipe on the stove right after the landlord gave us the keys to look at the place.
Anyone I have tried to befriend here has tried to borrow money from me to pay their rent or has some sort of issue with drugs or alcohol. Usually those are the types you'll find in South Florida that are "friendly" so keep your guard up! I tried going to social support groups and those are the worse as that's where most of the creeps seem to find their victims at. If you want to continue to live in this area, learn to enjoy spending your time alone doing things that you enjoy and if someone approaches you in regard to friendship, go very slow and ask lots of questions. If they don't want to answer honestly put forward questions, then there are some real issues there and you should keep away from that person.

Old 07-19-2014, 01:08 PM

59 posts, read 50,920 times
Default Look beyond the surface to meet quality people

HotAndHumid, I agree many people are not trustworthy, but I am sure there is some of that everywhere. I, however, haven't had these problems you mentioned because I always judge people I meet everywhere based on how decent, friendly, and educated they are, and based on their attitudes of course. It is hard I know, but you must ignore things like physical looks and how fun (or boring) they may look and focus on whether they are a good person or not, and whether they share your lifestyle or not. That is the way to meet quality people for friendship or for anything else. I am sure that those guys or girls that did this to you showed plenty of early signs that they were not so great, but you probably didn't give those little signs too much importance (or you also needed them to share the rent I guess---this is why it is so important to be independent).

What I recommend for the topic creator is to be clear about what type of person you want to befriend and to ensure you don't make ties with someone who is not like that. Be clear about who you want in your life (disregard looks, I am talking personality and lifestyle here). Personally, I have few friends because I stick to that and there aren't tons of people like me anyways. I do think the "ask questions" approach is a good thing too, but common sense is the first one (there are some people who you simply can tell are trouble from a mile away, while there are also others who you can tell are great).

I visit Weston regularly and it looks like a really nice place to me. I myself was thinking about relocating there at the end of this year. I am surprised that the TC (topic creator) hasn't found anyone to befriend there. The place seems good to me (certainly better than where I live now). Don't they have any activities or places worth checking out in the area? You can check those out during Saturday or Sunday. Google Maps is your best friend for that . See what is available in the area. May be there are meetups worth checking out too.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:37 AM

35 posts, read 64,017 times
Events and Adventures or similar type of activity and meet people services.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:08 AM

2,976 posts, read 13,374,223 times
For those of you who want to meet new people try Find your people - Meetup. It's a start - it will get you out of the house, meet new people, and perhaps give you some options you didn't have before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area