Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 08:24 AM

72 posts, read 124,859 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm 32 y/o, single male, US citizen living in Europe (in my native country). I have a job currently that allows me to save about $700/month after all the taxes, and all the living expenses. I have a very peaceful life here, and good quality of care (fresh food, health, shelter, security), but nothing fancy, just a normal life. I have 4 weeks of vacations paid by my company and I usually would travel at least twice a year in different countries in Europe. I've been graduated in Brooklyn college with a bachelor degree in Business in 2008, and I have already over 4 years of experience mostly in Data analysis and transport/logistics positions here in Europe. I have also my own apartment very close to the city center. The weather of the country where I live is similar to South California. I've been living in NYC for about 6 years from 2003-2009.

Now the question.

Do you think It would sane of me to leave everything I have here and relocate to Ft. Lauderdale for a better career, life and money? I have been always tempted by the idea of settling down in a place like Florida to make my living. I have my brother living in US which very often we would debate to each other whether it is worthy the move. He says that I'm better off where I am with the current status of US economy. What do you think guys, do I need to make the move?

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 09:07 AM

191 posts, read 317,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn2007 View Post
Hello,

I'm 32 y/o, single male, US citizen living in Europe (in my native country). I have a job currently that allows me to save about $700/month after all the taxes, and all the living expenses. I have a very peaceful life here, and good quality of care (fresh food, health, shelter, security), but nothing fancy, just a normal life. I have 4 weeks of vacations paid by my company and I usually would travel at least twice a year in different countries in Europe. I've been graduated in Brooklyn college with a bachelor degree in Business in 2008, and I have already over 4 years of experience mostly in Data analysis and transport/logistics positions here in Europe. I have also my own apartment very close to the city center. The weather of the country where I live is similar to South California. I've been living in NYC for about 6 years from 2003-2009.

Now the question.

Do you think It would sane of me to leave everything I have here and relocate to Ft. Lauderdale for a better career, life and money? I have been always tempted by the idea of settling down in a place like Florida to make my living. I have my brother living in US which very often we would debate to each other whether it is worthy the move. He says that I'm better off where I am with the current status of US economy. What do you think guys, do I need to make the move?

Thanks,
No.

Listen to your brother.

You are able to pay your bills, have money left over, have a paid month off every year, have good weather - and you are thinking of leaving?

Did you just feel that sharp pain?

That was me kicking you in the butt via the internet.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:19 AM

111 posts, read 150,745 times
Why would you want to move to Florida. Sound like you're doing pretty well where you are, and with decent weather there.... Makes no sense to move

Old 07-08-2014, 09:26 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,690,496 times
lol, i would stay where you're at.
\
Moving to FL will be a total downgrade. It's kind of dumpy and ugly here outside of the immediate coastal areas. It's also expensive and just not worth it.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:59 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,448,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralanprod View Post
No.

Listen to your brother.

You are able to pay your bills, have money left over, have a paid month off every year, have good weather - and you are thinking of leaving?

Did you just feel that sharp pain?

That was me kicking you in the butt via the internet.
Bravo and ditto!

Old 07-08-2014, 11:25 AM

438 posts, read 653,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn2007 View Post

Do you think It would sane of me to leave everything I have here and relocate to Ft. Lauderdale for a better career, life and money? ,

Absolutely not! Why would you want to give up what seems like a great life in Europe to move here? I wouldn't do it.

Be careful. The Florida beaches and scene seem idyllic, but its mostly fool's gold. If you've got something good in hand hold on to it.

Old 07-08-2014, 02:25 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,422,668 times
Everyone is right. Stay where you are. Just come to relax if you want to. It's not worth all the hype. I'm glad I left the place years ago. I go to South Florida to relax, not live. You enjoy Florida when you don't live there.

Stay put. Take everyone's and especially your brother's advice. Good Luck!

Old 07-08-2014, 07:32 PM

679 posts, read 877,819 times
Another no. Come visit in January, enjoy the sun and go back to what sounds like a very nice life!

Old 07-09-2014, 03:54 AM

72 posts, read 124,859 times
Thanks to everyone for the feedbacks. Will the feedbacks change in case I purchase my own apartment (say two bedrooms in Tamarac) and have a job that pays 40k a year? Will I be able with these circumstances to enjoy the "exotic" life of South Florida?

Thanks

Old 07-09-2014, 04:20 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Living a comfortable life in Europe seems ideal to most of us..What is it that makes you feel its going to be better in Florida? Describe this exotic life you are dreaming of.Going just by your description i'd stay in Europe.Do yourself a favor and take a couple of weeks vacation to Ft Lauderdale before making such a major decision as it sounds to me like you are just going through a phase of boredom in your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area