Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 01:52 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,781,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BronzeDoll View Post
Ok, so I moved here last month and it's so different. I have a few questions that I would like to be clarified.

#1. People seem so scared and timid. If I just say a friendly "Hi" to someone, it's like they'll say hi back but then they move away from me as if I was going to rob them. Why is that?
Sad but this is becoming more common all over America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2014, 01:59 PM

433 posts, read 1,011,435 times
I kinda hate you. Took me a few years to figure out what you have in a month. Its the same in orlando. Best thing to do is find people like you to make friends with. Anyone who isnt like you that acts friendly has an agenda and that agenda is in their best interest and not yours. The people down here think this is normal. U know its not.

Old 08-16-2014, 09:00 PM

35 posts, read 72,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Original Poster: I have no idea what your area is like as far as the people and living there however, I do have many years of work experience and I will advise you to go to the office that you have the interview for and observe for a bit just to see what the most common style of clothing is.
If it is somewhat formal or business casual you will know what you should wear to the interview and be in line with their dress code.
I had a couple interviews and on them, I saw a woman wearing a short, tight skirt and very high heels. The other two people were men... Good idea though! I will continue to observe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotandHumid View Post
Most South Floridians have become suspicious of one another over the years because there are so many hard core street people here asking for a handout. You'll even find well-dressed looking people coming at you with a big smile and then they start with the line, "Excuse me but I just ran out of gas and can you....?"
The majority of the people I've gotten to know from the American Black population of South Florida resent many of the newcomers, both Blacks from the Caribbean and Latins from the Caribbean and South America, who come in and will work under the table for below minimum wages, putting the people whose families have been here for generations at a disadvantage in finding work if they don't speak Spanish or Creole and many American Blacks have seen their neighborhoods change almost overnight into Creole or Spanish speaking areas, just like what happened in Miami when the English speaking population became the minority with the influx of Cubans after the Revolution in Cuba.
I'm from the Midwest originally and I had to learn some things from a Cuban boyfriend about the pecking order down here. White skinned Cubans feel they are the top of the heap and all the other Latins are below them, particularly the mixed race and Black Cubans who came in after Castro released inmates from prisons and mental hospitals in Cuba and allowed them to leave Cuba to come to the U.S.
White Cubans consider people from Argentina to be close to them in status because they are primarily White and there isn't much mixed blood there. People from Venezuela and Columbia are ok as long as they look white. If you're from Central America or Mexico or Puerto Rico, I've heard Cuban friends refer to you as the Hillbillies of the Caribbean. If you're a Cuban whose family moved to a different part of the U.S. after the Revolution and you decided to move to Miami, you're considered by Miami Cubans to be an American and not Cuban like they are.
You have to remember that South Florida is the only large metropolitan place in the U.S. where immigrants outnumber the native born population so there isn't much assimilation going on because many people can live their entire lives living in communities in South Florida around people from their own country and speaking their own language so outsiders are looked upon with suspicion and you'll even find those in the Miami area who will complain if don't speak Spanish. I was at an Art Deco Festival on South Beach and was trying to get around someone by saying, "Excuse me." I was ignored so I said it again and the man turned to me and said in perfect English, "Say it in Spanish."
That attitude of expecting someone in the U.S. to speak Spanish just because they are in the Miami area doesn't exactly create balance and harmony and that's why you'll see so many people in South Florida walking around with an attitude, suspicious of others and who act like they never learned any manners as they just push and shove their way through a crowd and drive the streets and highways like everyone else should be watching out for them.
Interesting! Unfortunately, this is becoming very common in America. I love all cultures and heritages and believe we're all equal but I do have an issue with illegal immigrants taking away jobs of the American people. I understand it's hard for everyone but why should I have to pay taxes when someone else doesn't? And I was born here and so were my ancestors.
As far as the light-skinned vs dark-skinned thing, it's been an issue for a long time. Many generalize lighter skin to "better quality" etc. Though this is obviously not true, many people still believe that way no matter what country they are from. It is interesting to note though lol, and pretty sad.
Yes!! I've noticed that when I'm out and about, and say "excuse me," a lot of people either don't move, or they look at me like I'm from outer space (actually I get that look a lot!). *sigh*
Ah I see. Yes I'm a pretty happy person generally but I see many many people walk around like their whole world has crashed, like the don't care, or like they are scared. Wow smh I feel bad for them... maybe my happiness can spread a little? lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
South Floridians are not really friendly.
They're just not. It's true.

However, that doesn't mean there are NO friendly people. You need to join a club or organization where u can get to know people and connect with them through a shared interest. Join a church, a book club, a cycling club, beach clen-up crew, volunteer somewhere, etc.

Many south Floridians were born in south/central america and the Caribbean... ppl tend to stick with their own kind here. Haitians with the Haitians... Jamaicans with the Jamaicans... Colombians with Colombians... SFL IMO is a bit racist... and not because its the US south, but rather racism is brought from south and central america to south FL.... so ppl from these areas bring their racism with them....

US born black Americans are culturally American...therefore they're different than Jamaicans and Haitians and Dominicans... you dont have that "island flare" about u.... u dont speak another language...u dont have that shared identity of being an immigrant... u dont have a culture that is imported from "overseas" your culture is black-american culture... it's different and foreign to immigrant groups... and south FL is made up largely of immigrant groups...so they're not gonna get it. .

Being bi-lingual is the norm in south FL... for most people down here English is a 2nd language and Spanish or French creole is their first.... for ppl like u and I...it's the opposite. We're native English speakers... and have not needed to learn a 2nd language, unlike a lot of immigrants to south FL...again another thing that makes u different.
Yes, I'm currently looking into different types of groups to join. Though in these groups I still risk facing the same issues ya know?

Ahh I see now. That is so interesting... Yes, it's segregated for it to be so diverse here and it's extremely weird for me to see...

Yes, I truly lack an "island flare" lol. You're absolutely right in how I don't fit in with immigrants.

So we as Americans are different.... and don't exactly fit in... even though we are in south Florida... in America. Haha smh. Ok, I guess I'll have to accept that and move on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
All I can say is that I am sorry you are having that problem and tell you to just keep plugging along and enjoy those who are friendly to you and ignore those who are not.

I believe that politics is now playing a big part in how we have all now been divided, just do not let the bad people get to you because there are plenty of good people in Florida, I meet friendly people all the time of all races.
Good advice. Will do. I'm definitely staying positive. I'm still kind of in shock mode a little but yes, I am sure there are really sweet people here that are genuine no matter where they're from

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^Eagle^ View Post
I kinda hate you. Took me a few years to figure out what you have in a month. Its the same in orlando. Best thing to do is find people like you to make friends with. Anyone who isnt like you that acts friendly has an agenda and that agenda is in their best interest and not yours. The people down here think this is normal. U know its not.
Haha this made me laugh. Good to know. Thanks for the advice. Yep, the hardest thing to being new to a place is the street smarts. I have street smarts but it's street smarts from the north, down here I have to have a different set of street smarts it seems. Hmm.

Overall, I appreciate all of the explanations. I see I have a lot to learn and a good bulk of it can be done by quiet observation and living daily life here. I still like it here though (sunshine, warm weather, shopping, etc). Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Old 08-17-2014, 09:01 AM

683 posts, read 852,647 times
Quote:
#1. People seem so scared and timid. If I just say a friendly "Hi" to someone, it's like they'll say hi back but then they move away from me as if I was going to rob them. Why is that?
This always makes me laugh. Why didn't you research the place before moving from Happy Town, USA? It depends on the person. I don't think it's super friendly, but definitely not a cold place. I've been able to make friends with ease, in any color. Maybe you are too eager. Chill out and let the process be natural. Nobody down here comes out the blue and says Hi! How are you? How is your family doing? It's strange. Talking to people typically comes from engaging in some kind of event, not just random experiences in the super market or street.

Last edited by deboinair; 08-17-2014 at 09:37 AM..

Old 08-17-2014, 10:22 AM

23,587 posts, read 70,350,712 times
I lived in South Florida for over twenty years and HotandHumid has it pegged to a T. That post should be framed and hung on a wall. I would add that there is a large (largely poor) Mexican population in the Homestead area that seems to try to isolate itself from the mess, and the Jewish population has more or less migrated to Boca or Israel from Miami Beach.

Old 08-17-2014, 03:16 PM

35 posts, read 72,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deboinair View Post
This always makes me laugh. Why didn't you research the place before moving from Happy Town, USA? It depends on the person. I don't think it's super friendly, but definitely not a cold place. I've been able to make friends with ease, in any color. Maybe you are too eager. Chill out and let the process be natural. Nobody down here comes out the blue and says Hi! How are you? How is your family doing? It's strange. Talking to people typically comes from engaging in some kind of event, not just random experiences in the super market or street.
There's no perfect place to live on this Earth. I'm just observing the difference. Yes there are places in this world where people do smile and say "Hi" to their neighbors. It's strange to me that most people don't say Hi but then again, most people are probably scared to be robbed. I don't live in fear though.
Anyway, to answer your question I didn't come here by choice. I'm a single mom and I need my family for support with my kid while I finish school and can work. So I had to move down here as I couldn't stay where I was up north. There are other reasons too but that's a big one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I lived in South Florida for over twenty years and HotandHumid has it pegged to a T. That post should be framed and hung on a wall. I would add that there is a large (largely poor) Mexican population in the Homestead area that seems to try to isolate itself from the mess, and the Jewish population has more or less migrated to Boca or Israel from Miami Beach.
I see. Thanks for the info.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:18 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,727,979 times
When you get a chance, drive over to the west shore of south Florida. You'll see its vastly different.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:25 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,727,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
...., and the Jewish population has more or less migrated to Boca or Israel from Miami Beach.
Most the the older Jewish population has not migrated, they simply died off. Their children are the ones who migrated away from the I95 corridor. If you look up the 55+ communities you'll see 1000s of apts/villas for sale at ridiculously low prices and nobody wants them.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:01 PM

433 posts, read 1,011,435 times
Quote:

Haha this made me laugh. Good to know. Thanks for the advice. Yep, the hardest thing to being new to a place is the street smarts. I have street smarts but it's street smarts from the north, down here I have to have a different set of street smarts it seems. Hmm.
Yeah I'm from the North too but have been here since 2009. I'm a guy and i'm sure it's a bit different for girls but here is what i've learned:

1) There's a lot of slick people who may come off as your best friend and don't say what they really think. Be friendly but cautious and never fully trust anyone, people here hold their cards way closer to the vest than up north. Up north people just say what they think and you know whats up good or bad.

2) Listen a lot figure out who your dealing with be polite and friendly get them to open up and then figure out if they are someone you have something in common with. Being calm chill and positive is the thing down here.

3) The whole banter thing and fun back and forth stuff may not go over well down here for you, people take themselves very seriously around here. Just be nice and save the fun northern stuff for the people from up north.

4) Don't give the bums anything, they will ask for more things and it will never end.

5) This society is more superficial than up there. It will either turn you off and you will end up moving home or you will run with it.

Either way you will definitely have fun in the meantime.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:34 PM

67 posts, read 133,534 times
I'm going to presume that you're from a rural Southern state?

Yeah, we don't often randomly ask people on the street about their lives unless we have proper business with them. This may seem strange to you, but I find it much more strange when I visit The South and complete strangers tell me their life story without any reasoning behind it.

It has nothing to do with living in fear or trying to be rude. Scandinavians share this same attitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area