Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 08:19 AM

191 posts, read 317,746 times

Advertisements

Because of the warm water current that runs through the ocean, and cooling ocean breezes - there isn't much in the way of temperature variation along the east coast of Florida. If it is hot during the day, it will be hot at night. It's not like most area where once the sun goes down, the temperature starts to quickly drop.

It can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on how you look at it. Even though we have a reputation for being hot and sunny. The temperature down here never really gets as high as it does in other parts of the state. Of course we do get the humidity issue which makes it feel like 100 degrees when it is really only 85.

I will say that winter down here is great. Occasionally you get a cold snap that might get temperatures down to the 30's. Usually though it is sunny and 70's. I don't think I put on a jacket at all last winter. As a matter of fact I may not have even put on long pants. (I live in cargo shorts)

If you are focusing on Broward County, Parkland and Weston are probably the best areas to raise kids. If those are out of the price range you are looking for, Cooper City, Pembroke Pines, and Davie are also generally fine. Of course any city can have it's less desirable areas. Feel free to ask if you have specific streets you are looking at.

Generally speaking you can draw a box that has University Drive on the east, US 27 on the West, I-595 to the north and Pines Blvd to the south. There really aren't any "bad" areas in that box. You can also include anything west of I-75 as being pretty good.

If you go to the web page for Broward County schools, look at the maps for the areas that send their students to either Cypress Bay, Cooper City, Western, West Broward, or Douglas High schools. Pretty much any area in those boundaries is a good choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 09:06 AM

440 posts, read 517,407 times
Default There are already Plenty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpotts View Post
We own a Tree, landscaping and lawn service company in WI, and since we have such long winters here we would like to relocate to a warmer climate state where we can work year round. My question is; Is there a good market for these services in the Ft. Lauderdale and/or the surrounding areas? I've been told by people who live in WI that there is, but I would like the opinions from residents of these comunities. Our business does well in WI and we are an A rated company with the BBB. We are not a fly by night company, we have been in business since 1993 with repeat happy customers. We are looking to relocate our business and family to a warmer climate and year round work.
Fort Lauderdale is not a good place to open any small business these days unless it's having to do with selling liquor, a place for people to go to detox or a place to buy second hand goods.
There are already lots of landscaping companies here and there are lots of people who stand outside along the edge of the parking lot at the Home Depot on Oakland Park Boulevard asking if they can do yardwork, landscaping, etc. for you at low wages.
This area has become a mecca for immigrants from poor countries and most are very hard working and looking for work so there's a lot of competition for landscape work, along with other types of manual labor.
Most of the jobs in this area are low paying retail jobs and people are trying hard here to make ends meet by shopping at thrift stores and discounters. This is part of the reason that the giant discount and outlet store mall, Saw Grass Mills is so successful. We also have the huge acres and acres large Thunderbird Flea Market on Sunrise Boulevard that people shop at for just about everything. I've lived in several different areas of the country and I'd have to say that Broward County, which Fort Lauderdale sits in, probably has the highest number of second hand thrift stores per capita that I have ever seen.
Sure, there's lots of lux looking high rise and ocean front buildings here but most of them aren't occupied fully year round as Florida doesn't have a state income tax so people who live off stock and investment incomes buy property here and claim Florida residency, even though they spend most of their money and their time in other places, which is part of the reason that you'll what looks like lots of wealth in the form of downtown condo buildings that have been built downtown but lots of For Lease signs in front of the office buildings downtown that have a lot of empty office space, along with a large downtown shopping complex by the name of Riverwalk that is almost empty of businesses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area