Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 09:23 PM

7 posts, read 8,741 times

Advertisements

So I posted this in the Tampa area forum and was told I should also post it here. I'm leaning toward Tampa but I also like FT. Lauderdale.

Hey I'm from NJ and I will be attending Grad School next yr. for occupational therapy (OT). So I live right outside Philly and I'm not a fan of living here and I've always wanted to move. I have some relatives and friends in both the Tampa area and FT. Lauderdale area and they love it and have no intentions of coming back to NJ. I'm going to be focusing on geriatrics (elderly) patients so Florida is a no lose situation in terms of my job market.

I read a lot about Florida the biggest difference I've read is the humidity being unbearable. For me this is nothing b/c I have a natural tolerance to heat and I spend a lot of time in the sauna at my gym. I've also read there are a lot of bad drivers/elderly drivers. I'm from NJ I figure it really can't get much worse also I live in the middle of a retirement community so I'm familiar with that. I really despise snow and would love to not experience snow for a very long time. Snow/Ice has cost me so much money on new tires/car repairs and potholes never seem to get fixed here. I also have a very bad shoulder I probably need surgery and I'm afraid of slipping and falling on ice. Every family dinner discussion is focused around how expensive and high the taxes are here to me it seems like a better deal in Tampa. Not everyone but there are a lot of jerks here I hate it I hear that's something no one misses when they move. I absolutely despise all things Philadelphia and unfortunately if you're single it's hard to meet women the local bars are basically loaded with single dudes and couples. A single girl in a south jersey bar is like seeing a unicorn a very big disappointment when I came back from college. Also the Eagles are an abomination BOO! We have stink bugs, camel crickets, and water bugs here also snakes, rodents, hornets, and wasps so I think I can adapt pretty fast to whatever pests Florida has. Behind our house is basically a forest we also get deer, foxes, skunks, and much more. Kind of unusual for where I'm located. I know for a fact my family up here will visit me a lot if I move. My parents are very close to retirement and possibly considering buying a condo. I don't see myself getting too homesick. One last thing I'm also about an hr away from the beach and we have no beach house. I have a relative who has one but it's invite only like I can't just roll down to AC whenever I want w/o shelling out some dough for a hotel room. I won't miss the Jersey Shore I only saw it once this summer.

In my mind I'm already a Tampa resident I'm just not there yet. If I can I want to spend a summer down there doing some type of occupational therapy internship or something just to get a feel for it, but that's the summer not really good for experiencing the fall or winter months. Plus my relatives live in Sarasota and from what I read it's against the law to live there unless you're over 50. I figure they aren't the best people to ask. I really don't see any negative to moving here. Is there anything I should know that I don't know already? I'm taking this very seriously as in I would do this right now if I had my degree. I'm in my mid 20's right now I have no intentions of getting married anytime soon do you think I'm making the right decision? Is there something you wish someone told you before you moved? What would the pros/cons be to moving to FT. Lauderdale?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 10:59 AM

33 posts, read 36,693 times
I've spent time in Tampa & live is Ft Lauderdale. Beaches are better here without a doubt & life is much faster here ... not sure if that is good or bad for you

Old 12-08-2014, 01:58 PM

389 posts, read 662,463 times
The Eagles are an abomination? They're 9-4 and tied for the division lead. We'd gladly take that here -- the Dolphins have been like a gerbil on an exercise wheel for the past 10 years, stuck in a never-ending cycle of mediocrity. And if you move to the Tampa Bay area, the Bucs are even worse. Now if you say the Sixers are an abomination, that's another story ...

Seriously, I think it comes down to what you want in a metropolitan area, and what you're most comfortable with. In general, the Tampa Bay area is probably a bit more laid-back, friendlier and less congested, with a lower cost of living (housing is expensive in South Florida). Fort Lauderdale/Broward County has a faster pace, is more diverse, and has more of a tropical climate and atmosphere. Also, Broward is part of the 6 million population South Florida megalopolis -- similar in size to metro Philly and about twice as large as metro Tampa Bay, so it has more of a vibe of a truly large metropolitan area.

There's a lot of negativity on these boards about Fort Lauderdale/Broward in particular and South Florida in general, and there is truth in these posts in that this area is not for everybody. If you have the luxury of being able to visit for a week or so, you'll be able to get an idea of whether you'd like to live here.

Old 12-08-2014, 02:42 PM

7 posts, read 8,741 times
haha the Eagles have been in a cruel cycle since 1960 if you're an Eagles fan you'll know what I mean.

All jokes aside I visited FT. Lauderdale a few yrs ago I loved it there and I also love the idea of being a relatively short drive away from Miami. I was in vacation mode though which is why I wanted to know if anyone moved from the NE and stayed there long term what the pros and cons are. I figure the pros and cons moving from the NE would be different than someone who has lived there their entire lives. I am leaning toward the Tampa area only b/c of the cost of living. The more I read about St. Pete the more I like. What I gathered from internet searches and threads on here was FT. Lauderdale and Miami are great places to visit but not to live long term if you're from the NE you won't like it as much as the Tampa area. Getting a summer internship there was my goal for an experience. Thanks for your help.

Old 12-08-2014, 05:28 PM

389 posts, read 662,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUOT23 View Post
Getting a summer internship there was my goal for an experience.
Excellent idea ... that will give you an idea of whether you like it and can stand the summer heat, humidity and rain, and there's no shortage of opportunities in your profession in both areas you're considering.

FWIW, northeasterners tend to gravitate more toward this area (huge New York-northern New Jersey presence, but also lots of folks from Boston, upstate New York, Philly and the like). Tampa Bay and the west coast of Florida are more "midwest" (Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Chicago area, Wisconsin, Minnesota).

Old 12-14-2014, 05:59 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,469,718 times
South FL is more oriented towards northeasterners and has a much faster pace of life.

Tampa is more oriented towards people from the Midwest and South. Tampa is also slower and more laid back.

Both areas are pretty big, but Fort Lauderdale and surrounding South FL area is about 2X as large population wise. There is more stuff going on in South FL and more jobs. Both areas have pros and cons depending mostly on your background and preferences. I would also agree that South FL beaches are superior to Tampa's beaches.

Old 12-15-2014, 09:54 AM

23,595 posts, read 70,391,434 times
Nolefan has it right. Tampa is for nearly dead people. Miami/Ft Lauderdale and the beaches are more multi-cultural and more alive. Resident Cubans/Nicaraguans/Haitians/Canadians (eh?)/LOTS of New Yawkers/ and many shell-shocked natives trying to cater to touristy Germans/Brits/Russians and a few others.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:38 PM

9 posts, read 10,874 times
Im from Pittsburgh (go steelers)!! haha I recently moved to ft Lauderdale area. I'm like you, always wanted to move and get out and never plan on ever going back. I don't even know where to begin. First thing first, make sure you have a job before you move here! just because you love that area for vacation doesn't mean you will love or enjoy living there. I moved here expecting I would get a job instantly . nope three months later..notthhinggg. If you could do an internship any where honestly go for it, even if you could get one back to back at both locations do it!! And which ever place offers you a job with the best benefits go there! im sure over time you can always transfer.

Their both completely different. You have to have a very open mind to live in south florida. I can go a day with barley hearing English, when people talk to you or ask you something 99% is NOT going to be in English. The winter and fall is great! chilly at times, trust me it does get cold here, I thought it was going to snow the other week. once the sun goes down all the moisture in the air and being surround by a lot of water in ft Lauderdale will make it chilly. I live on a canal and its a major temperature difference at night. summers are brutally hot and humid. I don't how tampa is but in south Florida theres a constant breeze from the south winds.

Its great to be so close to everything, Miami is about 40mins at least. West palm is 30 mins. Key Largo is an 1 and half. Key west 3-4 hours. Bahamas 30 min flight, 2 hour cruise. With in a few hours make it Orlando, Napa and Tampa is 4 hours. Its a fast pace life style here, although the more North, or west you go its not so much. What I know Tampa is more country beach town with some excitement, and more retirees.
Ft Lauderdale/Miami is very diverse. Expensive. (but manageable). The drivers are insane! I hate driving so I try not.
Very Very superficial here! All about your looks and money, Designer, etc. Stuck up, rude people. Don't get me wrong there are some nice, friendly people but as far I notice not as often in PA. I had a lady yell at me yesterday and called me a stupid ***** cuz I was on my bike on the sidewalk which she wasn't paying attention and almost had me go into traffic, and I said excuse me. If anything she was!!
Its not what everyone expects it to be. Ft Lauderdale, Miami any of it. Do you have any friends/family in ft Lauderdale? if not sublet in ft Lauderdale, at least for internship. hotels are way too much! Do research on a sublet and make sure it legit. Maybe stay in a hotel the first night, that's what I did. Im glad im out of my home town, but I know I don't belong here either! Just enjoying and making the best of South Florida while I can! Good luck!

Old 12-16-2014, 09:53 PM

9 posts, read 10,874 times
Look for a nearby Aldis! Where I do most of my shopping at the moment. But groceries are extremely expensive. Look for happy hours. At least to pre game. Major bars/clubs charge for a cover and $20 for a freaking drink! Especially in Miami, we had to get a table and a bottle once to get in the girl at the door didn't like us for some reason. Where certain bar have 2 for 1, etc specials. Ladies nights on Wednesdays/Thursday drink free good place to meet girls. but usually guys pay cover. make sure you look at the dress code. & Make friends with promoters!!! Bars and clubs stay open until 3am-8am. some in Miami are open 24 hours to 72 hours straight!!! Where the ravers go its wild and soo Miami. There are a ton of dive/sports/non clubbing bars as well! And the best thing is they sell alcohol everywhere!!! Cvs/walgreens, walmart, gas stations even aldis!

Old 12-17-2014, 11:00 AM

2,976 posts, read 13,372,728 times
Insightful perspective on where the best beaches are. I have lived in south Florida (Weston) for over 20-years and have traveled the state extensively. The west coast is reputed as having some of the best beaches in the world. South Florida ... hmmmm...maybe I am making the wrong comparison....white sand, water, ambiance versus what is on the beach in South Florida?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area