Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2015, 01:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,099 times

Advertisements

We have just made the decision to head south from Jan-end of Feb. We are sending our youngest daughter to college (Ohio State) this fall, so we feel it is a good time for us to try. We have some family in Ft Lauderdale and Jupiter so we are looking in those areas. Our wants are a pool, close to beach(not walking distance), restaurants and bars(not clubs) We also need to bring our dog. Any suggestions on places to start looking? I have googled but I am not seeing what I want and lots of ads. A real estate company name would be great!!

Thanks...Jenny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 01:36 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,827,848 times
Buying ? Renting?

What's the budget?

Old 02-03-2015, 02:23 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,238,812 times
Good luck! Jupiter & Abacoa are great areas.

I left the north because I had severe seasonal affective disorder. I lived somewhere far colder and harsher in the winter than Ohio. Keep in mind it's nasty hot here during the summer to most people. Not me, I like it, but many people flee back north in and around April.

Old 02-03-2015, 02:44 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjohnides View Post
We have just made the decision to head south from Jan-end of Feb. We are sending our youngest daughter to college (Ohio State) this fall, so we feel it is a good time for us to try. We have some family in Ft Lauderdale and Jupiter so we are looking in those areas. Our wants are a pool, close to beach(not walking distance), restaurants and bars(not clubs) We also need to bring our dog. Any suggestions on places to start looking? I have googled but I am not seeing what I want and lots of ads. A real estate company name would be great!!

Thanks...Jenny
What do you want to spend on housing?

Will you rent or buy?

Do you want a single family home, condo, townhouse or apartment?

Where will you work?

How big is your dog?

Old 02-03-2015, 07:31 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,470,837 times
Jupiter is a great area. The Abacoa section is all new housing built in the last 10 years. The rest of Jupiter is very nice as well. Plenty of good housing options there. I will say Jupiter is a bit quiet compared to Fort Lauderdale, but is almost entirely middle class.

Fort Lauderdale is much more crowded and has far worse traffic. There is much more stuff going on than Jupiter. Fort Lauderdale also has good areas and bad areas. There is a large disparity between rich and poor. The areas east of US1 tend to be upper income and the areas west of US1 tend to be lower income. The middle class areas tend to be in the suburbs.

I would not go south of Fort Lauderdale. If schools are no concern, an area such as Pompano Beach east of US1 near the water might be a good option. Also consider Boca Raton, Parkland, Plantation, Davie, Cooper City, parts of Delray Beach, parts of Boynton Beach (west of 95), Wellington, and Palm Beach Gardens.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:48 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times
What are you going to do for jobs?

What is your rental budget?

If you don't have jobs and still need to work, don't even think about moving down until you secure good employment.

Old 02-07-2015, 05:43 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,789,802 times
South Florida is not cheap so unless you good savings or good job don't come down expecting everything to be cheaper.

Old 02-07-2015, 09:18 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl1150 View Post
South Florida is not cheap so unless you good savings or good job don't come down expecting everything to be cheaper.
Amen.

So many people are get such a culture shock when they move to South Florida.

It isn't like the rest of the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area