Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 02:15 PM

720 posts, read 919,415 times

Advertisements

Just trying to get a feel if anyone here moved to FL and has moved back to the tri state area, if so what were the determining factors?

I keep wanting to move to FL but many of friends and co workers keep saying that it's not a place which I would want to call home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 07:12 PM

2,805 posts, read 3,253,020 times
My family moved down when I was 5, and moved back up north again shortly after because jobs were very hard to find back then. I moved from up north to Florida and the only thing I regretted was that my family did not stay here when I was 5. I do not miss up north even one tiny bit, I took my wife up there to show her where I grew up, and being there only made me want to go back to Florida ASAP. I have a few friends who still live up there and I cannot even bring myself to go back up to see them, so they come down to Florida for a vacation and a visit.

Getting used to the heat takes at least a year, but other than that it is all a matter of if a person sees the good of things, rather than just looking for the bad, then they will be happy. No place I have been was perfect and neither is Florida but for us it is a great place to live.

Old 05-18-2015, 12:49 PM

9 posts, read 42,970 times
I moved here from NYC and will be going back in a few months. The traffic here has gotten just as bad as New Jersey AND Long Island. The crime here is worse than NYC/NJ. And there are very few career opportunities. I'm hearing less and less English spoken every year. Home prices and rent are not much less than Jersey or Long Island. Prices on most things, i.e., food, auto insurance, eating out/entertainment are the same as up north but the salaries are WAY less.
Unfortunately, South Florida has many big city problems without the big city benefits.

Old 05-18-2015, 02:09 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,750,660 times
Not at all, I just regret not buying sooner and losing all that money on renting and spending my nestegg.

I love south Florida and would not want to live anywhere else, maybe the Orlando area if I can find a cheap home there.

Old 05-18-2015, 02:45 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,901,981 times
I also wish we'd found our little corner of paradise in FL sooner. It's a great life!

Old 05-19-2015, 05:22 AM

438 posts, read 653,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
It's a great life!

If you have money...

Old 05-19-2015, 06:16 AM

1,973 posts, read 2,272,272 times
I agree, almost No Where is Terrible if you have enough money. But everywhere is awful if your struggling to make ends meet or have enough left over to have a little fun. Face It... with very few exceptions wages are bad everytwhere in the south. This is the land of $15 an hour or less jobs hahahaha...But people should expect such Florida Ranks around #39 for income..
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD_fla View Post
If you have money...

Old 05-19-2015, 06:55 AM

438 posts, read 653,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotta MoveOn View Post
I moved here from NYC and will be going back in a few months. The traffic here has gotten just as bad as New Jersey AND Long Island. The crime here is worse than NYC/NJ. And there are very few career opportunities. I'm hearing less and less English spoken every year. Home prices and rent are not much less than Jersey or Long Island. Prices on most things, i.e., food, auto insurance, eating out/entertainment are the same as up north but the salaries are WAY less.
Unfortunately, South Florida has many big city problems without the big city benefits.

Careful! You will be called names (with vitriolic fervor) by those who disagree with your opinion. I catch flack all the time for saying these very things. LOL.

Almost weekly, there is a new post on here from someone who wants to move to Florida. The pull is the fun, sun, and beaches, etc. These people ask for advice, and when you give it to them objectively you are attacked by others who make disparaging remarks, call you a hater, and who extoll all the wonderful things about Florida while leaving out most of the bad stuff---which includes some of what you mentioned in your post (low wages, few employment opportunities, very high cost of living...). These things eventually prove to be both an eye-opener and a disappointment for many who moved here and eventually had to move again.

Moving can be a big, expensive, life-changing experience; and it makes sense to me that people who are asking for advice before they take the plunge should know both the good and the bad about moving to any area. Some parts of south Florida are ok, but I could not imagine myself living well here if I didn't have plenty of money. I read posts about people planning to move here with families to take jobs that don't pay much, and that just blows my mind.

Old 05-19-2015, 10:16 AM

17,295 posts, read 22,013,755 times
Plenty of folks get "trapped" in Florida after they move......they don't have the money to move back!

Plenty of people in Florida with burnt out dreams......move to Flariduh, rent beach chairs to tourists, make a million dollars while drinking beer under the tiki hut! In reality they end up as a bar back, working like a dog for $10 an hour while spending 90% of their income to rent a crappy apartment in a rough neighborhood!

Too many people go there on vacation for a week and think "wow, what a great place" and leave hometown USA for greener pastures or should I say palm trees in paradise! However most people's issues aren't zip code related and subsequently the same problems they had in Hometown, USA are now the same problems they have in Flariduh!

To me, the NE, midwest, NY areas are all old, decrepit areas with crappy weather 6 months a year......I have seen parts of Ohio and NY that look like Baghdad! Abandoned buildings, closed businesses, abandoned cars and lots of sketchy folks hanging around......looked like history in the making, times of prosperity were 20-30 years ago and downhill ever since

Old 12-03-2018, 12:20 PM

2 posts, read 6,819 times
I lived in Connecticut basically my first 28 years and since then in FLorida (west coast St. Petersburg). I'm now 65 and so so so sick of the heat that I am working a few more years because I'm in a pension program - and then HAVE to get out of these summers at least. I want to buy a house and live back north May thru October. If I cannot afford both houses, I'm ready to battle the snow again to not have to stay in this tortuous summer heat. The older I get the more I can't stand it. We stay inside the AC all summer. Beaches are too hot. We shop at night as much as possible when the sun goes down. I miss the seasons. Ready to put up with grey skies and clouds to have cool and cold instead of warm and hot. Mind you from December thru April 10th it's nice. Although today, December 3 2018 its' way too hot and humid. Wearing a summer dress to work. Well that's my 2 cents worth!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area