Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2015, 09:17 AM

12 posts, read 20,527 times

Advertisements

Hello, we have just moved to Pembroke Pines (we are renting) and we are house hunting in the Pines, Cooper City, Davie areas.
We have found a house that we love that is just west of University Dr.
Now, we have been told to steer clear of University....to buy anything that is West of University. The house is 1 mile of it. The school has a rating of 4. But reviews have said that they have gotten a new
principal and the ratings have gone up since.
The ratio of the students is majority African American, then Spanish and then White.
But if my daughter gets into the charter school system it wouldn't make a difference...correct??

I am so torn.... I LOVE the house it is perfect ..I just am unsure about the neighborhood and it being further from I-75.

what are your opinions? please help

Julie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 01:40 PM

2,805 posts, read 3,254,506 times
West of University in Davie or Cooper City is fine, in PP it would be okay as long as not south of Pines Blvd. Just my opinion based on having lived west in Davie and have friends west in CC and PP.

Old 03-17-2015, 03:32 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,828,936 times
Especially nice in Cooper City

Old 03-18-2015, 07:28 AM

191 posts, read 317,801 times
I answered in your other thread about the school itself...

If you can get into the city charter, it is pretty good. Not everybody that wants in can get in though. If you want to avoid the county schools, you can also try the other charters in the area. Definitely do your research on those though, some are much better than others.

I'm guessing you are looking in the area off of Johnson street between Douglas and Palm. It's not a bad neighborhood at all really. The only issues to me are the schools. That area is zoned for Pines Middle. I've never had a parent say a good thing about that school to me. We've been in the Miramar/Pines/Cooper City area for 20 years and that school has always had a bad reputation.

Old 03-19-2015, 01:47 PM

12 posts, read 20,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralanprod View Post
I answered in your other thread about the school itself...

If you can get into the city charter, it is pretty good. Not everybody that wants in can get in though. If you want to avoid the county schools, you can also try the other charters in the area. Definitely do your research on those though, some are much better than others.

I'm guessing you are looking in the area off of Johnson street between Douglas and Palm. It's not a bad neighborhood at all really. The only issues to me are the schools. That area is zoned for Pines Middle. I've never had a parent say a good thing about that school to me. We've been in the Miramar/Pines/Cooper City area for 20 years and that school has always had a bad reputation.

I already put in for the charter lottery. waiting to see if I get in.
And yes that is exactly where we were looking off of Johnson. Thank you so much for your input on the school.
We actually found a house today in Cooper City off of SW 90 Ave by Stirling. Schools are supposed to be great.

Old 03-20-2015, 08:34 AM

191 posts, read 317,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturemom1015 View Post
I already put in for the charter lottery. waiting to see if I get in.
And yes that is exactly where we were looking off of Johnson. Thank you so much for your input on the school.
We actually found a house today in Cooper City off of SW 90 Ave by Stirling. Schools are supposed to be great.
The Cooper City house would be a better choice if the price is good. The only better schools in the area are in Weston, but that 's going to cost a bit more.

My son attends Cooper City High, and he's quite happy there.

Old 03-20-2015, 10:18 AM

438 posts, read 653,635 times
The 'west of University' thing is from a long time ago. University used to be the de facto line of demarcation that separated the not so great areas of Broward from the better suburban areas further west. But, there has been a lot of crossover during the past 10 or so years. Now, its all hit or miss---except for certain areas far west in Davie, Plantation, and Coral Springs. Cooper City is holding its own, but Weston and Parkland are pretty much the two exceptions where you will not find any riff-raff or bad areas. In other words, unless you're moving to Weston or Parkland, the 'west of university' thing doesn't really mean much anymore. Of the options on your list, I would choose Davie. The further west, the better.

Old 03-24-2015, 04:32 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,627,476 times
Yes, west is the best. Cooper city is still good. You may find a good price home in old cooper city. They may be smaller homes though.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:01 PM

6 posts, read 5,448 times
There is very nice place 1 mile East of University dr. - Woodlands Country club
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area