Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 08:25 PM

18 posts, read 86,115 times

Advertisements

My partner and I (gay) are professionals in our late 40's and have accepted new jobs in the Aventura and Jackson Memorial area of Miami. We are moving down in February and have been looking at homes in Hollywood Hills, Hollywood Lakes, Poinsettia Heights (Ft. Lauderdale between Wilton Manor and the beaches), Coral Gables, and the Keystone neighborhood sections off Biscayne (i.e., all up and down I95 into Miami). We really don't want to be in the western suburb areas of Pembroke Pines or Miramar. What kind of commute would you have around 7:00 am during the week down I95 from Sunrise or Los Olas to the Jackson Memorial Hospital area? Coming from Atlanta, we're very use to typical 1 hour commutes, but it's 30 miles up I95 to Ft. Lauderdale and we're hearing that I95 in the afternoon is a parking lot trying to get out of Miami heading north. Need info on the commute times and neighborhoods ... thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 01:51 AM

9,328 posts, read 14,246,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenAtlanta View Post
... we're very used to typical 1 hour commutes, but it's 30 miles ... I95 in the afternoon is a parking lot trying to get out of Miami heading north ...
When, soon, gas reaches $4 and $5 a gallon, and climbing, it will be quaint to remember when late Twentieth Century/very early Twenty-First Century US residents calculated commutes in terms of minutes, half-hours, and hours. Soon they will calculating commutes in terms of $ cost, like in percentage of income, and stress cost, like in years off one's life.

Your best bet is to rent on one of the beach communities between Jackson Memorial (e.g. north Miami Beach, Balfour, Sunny Isles) and Aventura itself, perhaps taking A1A and avoiding I95 altogether.

At least you'll have an ocean view on a relatively short commute and you won't be saddled with the burdens of property debtorship in Florida, at least for the first year or two.

Welcome and good luck!

Old 01-15-2008, 12:09 PM

11 posts, read 89,955 times
Default Try to get a place nearer to the hospital

I used to live off of Las Olas Boulevard (very beautiful, you'll love it) while I was dating my husband, who worked at Jackson Memorial. He would visit me on the weekends and even at those times it would take 35-45 mins during non-traffic hours. The stress of the commute, the traffic and congestion is just not worth it in my honest opinion.

Unfortunately, it is very expensive to live around East of US1. There is an area near Jackson Hospital that's called "Spring Garden" and is an up and coming neighborhood. It's older, but they're doing a lot of work. It's supposed to be like Victoria Park used to be in its older days. Victoria Park is an old neighborhood near Las Olas that really became hot property during the 90's and is really expensive now.

If you need any more info about Fort Lauderdale just holler. I grew up there. You'll adore the beach there! Bring lots of sun tan oil!

Old 01-15-2008, 03:20 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,114,292 times
I would guess a commute from say Sunrise Blvd to the 836 at rush hour would be an hour. Going north would probably be the same or longer in the afternoon when the late day thunderstorms reduce visibility to zero!

There are many decent areas for you and your partner much more centraly located. Look into Miami Shores, Edgewater, Morningside, El Portal, Biscayne Gardens and Buena Vista....all in Dade County. If you are working in Dade, you may as well live here. It sounds like schools or cost won't be too much of an issue. I agree that the cost of gas, sprawl culture and ridiculous commute times will continue to spiral out of control, so don't move 30 miles away.

Old 01-15-2008, 05:56 PM

551 posts, read 3,117,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Your best bet is to rent on one of the beach communities...taking A1A and avoiding I95 altogether.
Good advice. South Beach is THE mecca for gay men--it's unbelievable! However, that would be a pretty long commute to Aventura. Living somewhere in between like North Miami Beach is a very good suggestion. You wouldn't be too far from work (taking A1A up each morning--NOT I-95) and could head down to South Beach on the weekend. Wilton Manors is supposedly the gay area of Fort Lauderdale, but I haven't checked it out yet. Good luck and welcome! You'll love it here

Old 01-15-2008, 06:04 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,847,440 times
Forget commuting from Broward. Wilton Manors is actually second to West Hollywood, CA in gay population, and mostly understated (not flaming) men in their 40s, although there are some younger people there as well. But that's an obscene commute. Maybe if you were a married couple with kids I would suggest living in SW Broward (i.e Cooper City Davie Weston), but in your case theres not much of a reason.

Screw commuting. Really Aventura is very nice. Easily one of the nicest in Dade. Just live there and walk to work. People are plenty open minded in Aventura. Or live in Miami Beach and have a happy medium between Aventura and Jackson Memorial.

Old 01-17-2008, 02:17 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,857,289 times
I really like Aventura. It's sophisticated, upscale and diverse. It also works for your jobs. Wilton Manors has a large gay population and is nice, but it's a really bad commute to Jackson Memorial.

Old 01-17-2008, 02:54 PM

94 posts, read 199,996 times
With all due respect Aventura is an awful place to live now. Way too many people in such a small area. The traffic problem is beyond tolerable. I also say this and do not intend to offend anyone. Aventura is loaded with far too many rude arrogant Moderator cut: changed to "people" Beyond obnoxious!!! They thank they own and run Aventura now and will tell you just that if you ask them. They have completely taken over. They refuse to obey the laws on the road and defy you to get in their way. Friends finally refused to come and visit for these reasons and they lived in other parts of SFla that I considered even worse.
If you are seriously considering moving to Aventura think about it, you will regret it...

Last edited by mbmouse; 01-17-2008 at 06:41 PM..

Old 01-17-2008, 03:22 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,114,292 times
And to think Aventura is one of our "nice" areas lol. I agree that it is overcrowded and overpoulated with horrendous traffic, but so what area in Dade isn't? And I always thought Aventura was very diverse...not predominantly Latin.

Old 01-19-2008, 04:13 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,212,926 times
Default I95 Commute

Allen,
You mentioned some decent neighborhoods. Your commute should be within an hour. My daughter drove to JMH from Boca Raton - if she left at 6:30, she got there at 7:20 AM - if she left at 6:45, she got there around 8:05 AM - so you can see the difference.

Moderator cut: advertising
PS - Have you checked out Coconut Grove?

Last edited by mbmouse; 01-19-2008 at 08:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area