Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 02:04 PM

305 posts, read 724,057 times

Advertisements

The petition is here.

https://action.uber.org/broward/

They are going to vote on it tommorow. They are voting to place strict regulations on Uber and Lyft drivers. Meaning, the drivers must have an additional permit, background checks, and insurance. In addition to this, the commission is forcing Uber to raise their prices to that of cab driver fares, killing the very reason to use Uber in the first place.

Something needs to be done to fight the ridiculous prices set by taxi fares, and broward county transit. If they want consumers to use a taxi, then the taxi prices should be lowered. Why would anyone pay $100 to ride from Miami to Fort Lauderdale, when someone can get a ride from Uber and pay $35?

Do what you can to support Uber.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 11:01 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,451,703 times
Very backwards thinking.

I got picked up at FLL airport, but the uber driver told me that I had to pretend like I was just a friend of his and sit in the front since the airport didn't take too kindly to uber.

It's funny that Florida makes a point of being pro business...but in certain cases they aren't.

Old 04-28-2015, 03:48 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,789,453 times
I don't what's the issue with car sharing services but at the same time its the taxi lobbyists in Tallahassee who be making the loudest noise.

Old 04-29-2015, 12:25 PM

438 posts, read 653,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I had to pretend like I was just a friend of his and sit in the front
This^

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
It's funny that Florida makes a point of being pro business...but in certain cases they aren't.

They are pro business. Pro to the businesses owned by individuals who give them very nice gifts (indirectly, of course) and donate sizeable checks to their political campaigns in exchange for maintaining the status quo. The oligopolies that control the taxi/shuttle/whatever services at that airport don't want little people like Uber or Lyft interfering with their profits. I'd bet money that the Commission will vote against Uber/Lyft. This Commission has always been a seedy and corrupt entity. The things it 'votes' on are always decided in private beforehand.

Old 04-29-2015, 12:30 PM

191 posts, read 317,698 times
The reasoning is basically because Uber is providing a Taxi service. I think it's a more efficient business model, but really it is a taxi service. No matter how it gets spun, it performs the same function as a taxi.

I think the taxi services have a definite sway with the county commission, which makes this an uphill battle. Don't be fooled into thinking Uber is some upstart little company though. It's a worldwide corporation valued at more than $40 Billion dollars. They have just as many if not more lobbyists than the taxi companies.

Of course that is not going to make a difference until the government gets its cut - which is really what Uber is going to need to do if it wishes to continue to operate.

Old 04-29-2015, 12:41 PM

389 posts, read 662,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD_fla View Post
This^

They are pro business. Pro to the businesses owned by individuals who give them very nice gifts (indirectly, of course) and donate sizeable checks to their political campaigns in exchange for maintaining the status quo. The oligopolies that control the taxi/shuttle/whatever services at that airport don't want little people like Uber or Lyft interfering with their profits. I'd bet money that the Commission will vote against Uber/Lyft. This Commission has always been a seedy and corrupt entity. The things it 'votes' on are always decided in private beforehand.
I couldn't agree more with this post. Having watched this county commission at work for almost 30 years, I can't say I'm surprised by the vote. The guy who owns Yellow Cab in Fort Lauderdale (along with a ton of real estate near downtown) and has the contract to serve the airport has been in bed with the commission for years, and this is simply the commission's way of rewarding a friend (without regard for what's best for 1.8 million residents). What someone wrote in the paper years ago is still true: Broward is run like a condo board. The commission will NEVER, EVER do the right thing as long as Stacy Ritter and people like her are running the show.

Last edited by Papillons2; 04-29-2015 at 01:04 PM..

Old 04-29-2015, 08:44 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,451,703 times
They basically made it impossible to operate it seems.

I've used Uber and I've used cabs and I wouldn't want to go back to cabs .

Also I don't think the county is thinking of the economic benefit. Broward has a lot of tourists..and I'm sure many of them are using Uber. People use Uber and then go out and spend good money oftentimes.

Could they use a cab? Maybe.., but why would you want to make it harder for people to spend money..?

Uber operates in 57 countries worldwide...and hundreds of cities..but I guess it's not good enough for Broward...fishy.

Also what about the economic impact of all the LOCALS that are driving for uber and making pretty decent wages. That's more people making more money to contribute to the economy too.

Example of uber benefiting the economy in Chicago..
http://blog.uber.com/ChiEconStudy

Old 04-30-2015, 07:59 PM

305 posts, read 724,057 times
I just got a ride from an Uber driver, and he said he got calls from the county telling him to stop. It doesn't seem like the petition is working, so I want to find some way to tell the county to **** off, and the only thing I can think of is avoiding paying taxes and telling friends to do the same.

Old 04-30-2015, 11:27 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,414,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthetik View Post
I just got a ride from an Uber driver, and he said he got calls from the county telling him to stop. It doesn't seem like the petition is working, so I want to find some way to tell the county to **** off, and the only thing I can think of is avoiding paying taxes and telling friends to do the same.
Well the city of Orlando has already enforced these requirements, and almost nothing has changed. It's all for show.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:01 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,690,496 times
How ridiculous of broward county.

Those yellow taxi cabs companies are THE WORST! And they deserve to be put out of business. They're filthy, the drivers are rude and often times smell... the cars are gross...

An Uber car is much nicer, the drivers nicer and the experience so much better....no cash exchanged, it's great. Screw u, broward county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area