Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 08:06 AM

380 posts, read 430,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimT7406 View Post
Clearly Century Village was not built for the wealthy but it is also not a community filled with thousands of poor owners either. It is a mix from full-timers to snowbirds and everything in between. They are both generally well kept and secure communities with plenty of activities and facilities. It is not for everyone but it is a good alternative especially those that have limited incomes, want to downsize or just want a second place to live in the winter.

I did a quick search and there is likely more but since January 1 CV Deerfield has had at least 11 closed sales between $100-137k. In CV Boca there were 19 closed sales between $100k and $175k. Like everywhere else prices have rebounded nicely in the past few years. The HOA is really not that high when you consider that it includes cable, internet, water etc. The only unit bill likely will be your electric bill. If you homestead you likely will not have any real estate taxes either.
Bingo! I don't get the sense that the people in my parent's building are wealthy, but I don't think they are necessarily living in poverty. Lots of people down from Quebec and Ontario. Harwood F has central air for what it is worth. I suspect most of the 4-story units have central air while the smaller court (2-story) buildings would have window units.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2015, 02:21 AM

4,605 posts, read 3,296,304 times
All the 4 story buildings have central air. About half of the two story buildings have central air.

Old 01-31-2016, 03:28 PM

41 posts, read 73,896 times
Not to worry - Century Village - like everywhere else will change, as the boomer bowwave sweeps through.
We are in Boca CV. Just met the age requirements. Hubby is finishing his last 7 years as an air transport pilot at one of the largest airlines in the area. We owned a 3600 sq ft Victorian jewel in Dupont Circle 11 years. We are renting out our rural property in the mid-Atlantic area, from where we more recently moved.

You'll find a lot more of us considering places like CV. We want small, even tiny. We want amenities. We are done with all the fancy stuff. In fact, some of us have sold darn near all our old possessions/furniture except some family heirlooms. We are flat out done with home ownership, and don't mind renting either. We like to walk, bike, swim, hike, and support local businesses. We like to travel, and feel better shutting up our small apartment while gone. We younger residents may not have the fixed incomes/pensions of our elders, so we value saving a buck. We want experiences, not something to vacuum and maintain.

And, you can also volunteer to help your neighbors here. It is really a community.
But, I prefer to let the impression of Cemetary Village stay intact.

Last edited by hebell; 01-31-2016 at 03:37 PM..

Old 01-31-2016, 09:03 PM

874 posts, read 899,435 times
As a real estate agent, it is my understanding that the banks pay 12 months in arrears when selling units in a condo or HOA.

Back maintenance fees frequently stop short sales in their tracks, which is why I recommend that folks in that situation hire negotiator who specializes in the service.

If written correctly, the Florida real estate contract should include the condo addendum, which will specify what the current maintenance fee is. That should also be verified during the inspection and loan process directly with the association. Also, make sure you read the association rules, so you understand exactly what you're agreeing to.

Ann

Old 09-16-2016, 05:58 AM

1,904 posts, read 1,044,143 times
-I noticed the different asc. too in Deerfield and Different buildings.

-The boca CV seems to be more stable but their fees are just as high (but perhaps they have more amenities). There fees seem to avg. 350-400).

-The buildings in Deerfield are much older than Boca (so it seems) so that may require more upkeep.

-You gotta remember that your fee includes, water, landscaping, bld insurance, and maintenance.

-one of the reasons these asc. fail is that they don't allow anyone below 55 to live there (as a general rule) but, i've seen cases where they do allow it so...for what its worth.

-apparently the gold course in DF was sold to an outside interest but nothing has been done yet??? Anyone know?

-

Old 09-17-2016, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkins View Post
-I noticed the different asc. too in Deerfield and Different buildings.

-The boca CV seems to be more stable but their fees are just as high (but perhaps they have more amenities). There fees seem to avg. 350-400).

-The buildings in Deerfield are much older than Boca (so it seems) so that may require more upkeep.

-You gotta remember that your fee includes, water, landscaping, bld insurance, and maintenance.

-one of the reasons these asc. fail is that they don't allow anyone below 55 to live there (as a general rule) but, i've seen cases where they do allow it so...for what its worth.

-apparently the gold course in DF was sold to an outside interest but nothing has been done yet??? Anyone know?

-
The golf course was sold, but there have been a variety of rumors as to what would be done with the land.

Old 09-17-2016, 01:17 PM

The golf course is still up in the air; the problem seems to be that most uses would require renovation of the land, which has had pesticides and fertilizer used on it for years when it was a golf course. No one wants to take on this expense.

Old 09-18-2016, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
The golf course is still up in the air; the problem seems to be that most uses would require renovation of the land, which has had pesticides and fertilizer used on it for years when it was a golf course. No one wants to take on this expense.
Wasn't one of the wacky rumors that it would become a cemetery or something?

Old 09-19-2016, 03:10 PM

1,904 posts, read 1,044,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willg View Post
Wasn't one of the wacky rumors that it would become a cemetery or something?
I would put money against this ever happening as you need a VERY SPECIALIZED zoning to bury dead bodies.

I would think the new owner will build new buildings as this seems to be the obvious best use of the land with some Retail.

Old 09-20-2016, 02:08 AM

The remediation of the land is the big problem, and big expense. Otherwise, something would have happened on it by now for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area