Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 07:31 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,236,551 times

Advertisements

Without naming names of schools, I will just say that I went to 2 different ones this week (locally)...one asked for $608 per month, and the other was almost $400 per month. I saw NO difference in either school. This is the first time I'm actually realizing what everyone is saying about low funding in Florida making schools less desirable. And when I make the next set of comments, I am not trying to make my child the "model" child by no means (just trying to point out what is being offered).........but he is a very advanced 4 year old who reads 1st grade level, writes, counts passed 100, etc. When I went to these schools, they told me how the curriculum has the kids counting to 10, but we actually teach them up to 12. I was stunned. 12? What about the kids that go beyond that? This will bore them. Do you offer some sort of diversity where the kids can all learn on their levels and go beyond that? Then they showed me the Pre-K classroom, and told me how they are napping, because they nap from 12:30-2:30. WHAT!? I said, "my son doesn't nap, what is he supposed to do for 2 hours?" They said, "he can read a book on his cot or something." FOR 2 HOURS??? I thought to myself. Are you serious? 2 hours of no learning. How can they expect my son to sit quietly, on a cot, for 2 hours, reading by himself. And this was the school that was charging $608.
I came home, looked at my husband, and said, "Maybe I should home school him for Pre-K." But this really began me thinking about how maybe we should relocate. I don't know.
All I know is that I have a teaching degree, did a year of teaching, and I have been teaching my kids at home from birth to now (the oldest is 4).
I think I just expected more.
In all honesty, I'm not sure if I would want to relocate.
I really like where I live.
I hate the high taxes and high home prices preventing us from moving into a HOUSE (vs. the condo we own), but I like the convenience of the area and the comfort I feel.
I don't have the hang-up here about how rude people are, because honestly, everyone knows us in all the stores we shop and say hi to my kids (and know their names) all of the time. It's really a quite comforting feeling.
However, I'm sure another place would be just as nice.

Last edited by AJ1972; 01-25-2008 at 08:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 08:55 PM

673 posts, read 2,673,945 times
Relocating will not necessarily solve your problems on this one. I moved from S. FL to the Charlotte area of NC, and if you think preschool is expensive there, you should see prices here. For a 4-year old they range anywhere from $750 - $1000 +/month, and the programming is pretty much the same as what you have mentioned. For this you get to be on a LONG waiting list hoping someone will call you to tell you there is an opening.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:23 PM

65 posts, read 232,023 times
My parents had the same problem, but up in NY. They enrolled me into a "school for the gifted", may I suggest that you at least examine this as a possibility.

Old 01-26-2008, 09:09 AM

350 posts, read 1,518,073 times
When people talk about low funding related to schools, they are usually referring to public schools. With the prices you are mentioning, I think you must be referring to private preschools. If you go to the public schools, they have the VPK program which is, I think, either free for a half day or in the $100 range for a full day. I don't know what the public preschools are like in Broward, but in Dade, they are really quite good to exellent, one of the best things the Miami-Dade County Public School system has to offer. If Broward is like this as well, I recommend you look into that option. Maybe you can find an opening somewhere.

However, the curriculum you describe is typical for any preschool environment - although I have to admit only counting to 12 does seem a little low. What curriculum are they using? Highscope? Reggio? Waldorf? Montessori? Usually preschools are primarily play-based with an introduction to academics - phonemic awareness, numbers, circle time, etc. My child is exactly like you describe your child, and they are the same age. My child also does not nap. He attends a preschool like the ones you describe for 4-6 hours a day.

I do not stress over the fact that he is so academically advanced and in a traditional setting because there is more to life at the age of four than academics. Four year olds should be socializing and learning through a play-based environment, and not receiving academic instruction the entire time they are in preschool. So what if my kid can read and count to 100 backward and forward and they are learning to count to 20 or whatever in his classroom? If this were first grade or higher, I would look into an accelerated curriculum, but this is preschool. Your son may find all the play opportunities and activities fulfilling and not be bored.

Re the 2-hour nap, maybe you could pull him out before nap time. I do this sometimes. But you know what? Down time is good for everyone, even preschoolers. My child has nap time also for up to 2 hours and they tell me he rolls around in his cot "doing yoga," lol. Maybe he's thinking up some fanciful stories to entertain himself, or contemplating life, or counting to 100 and back, who knows. It's an opportunity to learn self-regulation.

I say don't sweat it, give preschool a try, he might just have fun, make some new friends, and learn something along the way.

Recommended reading: Amazon.com: Einstein Never Used Flash Cards: How Our Children Really Learn-- And Why They Need to Play More and Memorize Less: Books: Kathy Hirsh-Pasek,Diane Eyer,Roberta Michnick Golinkoff

Old 01-26-2008, 09:11 AM

Quote:
If you go to the public schools, they have the VPK program which is, I think, either free for a half day or in the $100 range for a full day.
We saw the room they put you in for pre-K if you're in the VPK program and it's WORSE! Small, crammed, and separated from the classroom where the kids "that pay" are in.

Quote:
I do not stress over the fact that he is so academically advanced and in a traditional setting because there is more to life at the age of four than academics. Four year olds should be socializing and learning through a play-based environment, and not receiving academic instruction the entire time they are in preschool. So what if my kid can read and count to 100 backward and forward and they are learning to count to 20 or whatever in his classroom? If this were first grade or higher, I would look into an accelerated curriculum, but this is preschool. Your son may find all the play opportunities and activities fulfilling and not be bored.
I can say for a fact that my son would get bored for those 2 hours.
He is a busy-minded child.
We do a lot of extra-curricular outside of the pre-K spectrum (he ice skates once a week, has a Hip Hop Dance class once a week, amongst other things...now he wants to learn to play an instrument).
Since I am a stay-at-home mom (and I know I'm very blessed to be able to stay home), I can't justify putting my son in a school 5 days a week, where he's learning a very small percentage of anything new, and I'm paying over $600 for this. I can have his friends at his house and continue with these extra things outside that we do.

Old 01-26-2008, 09:18 AM

1,781 posts, read 6,948,545 times
Better to pre school at home you can give more attention and best of all it`s free. I did things at home and he is ahead of most of his class so for free I think I did ok.

Old 01-26-2008, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Better to pre school at home you can give more attention and best of all it`s free. I did things at home and he is ahead of most of his class so for free I think I did ok.
I agree, and I've decided to do that too.

Old 05-07-2008, 06:32 AM

4 posts, read 8,947 times
Wink Good Preschool

Too bad you are not in our town in MIchigan. I teach class 8am - 12pm five days a week for $40 a week. I have several children in the class who are still 4 years old and are beginning to read. My advice is to keep searching until you find the best fit. Also, when you find a "good" place - tell all your friends. Word of mouth is the best advertisement for preschool/childcare!!

Old 05-07-2008, 09:18 AM

439 posts, read 1,744,720 times
Please PM me with which schools you looked at. I have one that I can recommend, but it's in SW Boca (extreme SW Boca...the next intersection is Broward County).

Old 05-07-2008, 12:03 PM

245 posts, read 1,169,471 times
i'm not surprised..that's America education system..the kids start out very slowly..compared to other countries, like Japan. i would say save your money and homeschool at home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area