Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 09:17 PM

17 posts, read 20,790 times

Advertisements

Fort Lauderdale is one of the possible places where I am looking to move to recently but first I would like to hear some fresh personal opinions. I am currently working as a Software Engineer in NYC but as I was living shortly in Fort Lauderdale area when I was younger and liked it, I am planning to move back.

The one problem it seems I would have is finding a job. I've read many articles that software engineering jobs are hard to find in the area and that even Citrix and Motorola are not hiring a lot anymore.

I have a MSC degree in software engineering and more than 3 years of experience from Europe and New York. What are my chances? Thank you.

Don't tell me to move to Cali
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2015, 09:33 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,795,765 times
Look up Ultimate Software in Weston.

HR Software & HR Payroll Solutions for Human Capital Management - Ultimate Software

Old 11-06-2015, 08:05 PM

351 posts, read 458,865 times
We are hiring PHP and Database developers. We're in Weston as well.

Good luck!

Old 11-06-2015, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexRodriguez View Post
We are hiring PHP and Database developers. We're in Weston as well.

Good luck!
I thought you were a realtor?

Old 11-07-2015, 08:30 AM

366 posts, read 514,765 times
Dont move without a job! South florida's golden rule

Old 11-07-2015, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
I thought you were a realtor?
I do a bunch of other stuff my friend. I do work as a database developer as well since it's a very flexible job, pays well, that's what I went to college for and the company I work for is located here in Weston.

Old 11-07-2015, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexRodriguez View Post
I do a bunch of other stuff my friend. I do work as a database developer as well since it's a very flexible job, pays well, that's what I went to college for and the company I work for is located here in Weston.
And I manage a team that manages Exchange and other email/messaging servers

Old 11-08-2015, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
And I manage a team that manages Exchange and other email/messaging servers

Old 11-29-2015, 09:44 PM

367 posts, read 937,419 times
I work in IT, with 3 degrees, including an MS in IA, and I left South FL due to the lack of opportunities. There is very few technology companies based there. If you're moving because of weather, and prefer a warmer climate, I'd recommend Texas. If you have your heart set on South FL, make sure to get a job first and foremost. My father was also a programmer in NY and when he moved to FL, he had to change careers because he couldn't find anything. Also, to find a good job you may have to commute anywhere from Boca Raton down to the heart of Miami.

Old 12-01-2015, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootzdread View Post
I work in IT, with 3 degrees, including an MS in IA, and I left South FL due to the lack of opportunities. There is very few technology companies based there. If you're moving because of weather, and prefer a warmer climate, I'd recommend Texas. If you have your heart set on South FL, make sure to get a job first and foremost. My father was also a programmer in NY and when he moved to FL, he had to change careers because he couldn't find anything. Also, to find a good job you may have to commute anywhere from Boca Raton down to the heart of Miami.
Lack of opportunities? probably lack of skills. I know a lot of companies in SoFL looking for IT professionals right now. I'm a database developer and I receive phone calls every freaking day from recruiters. One of the nation's top 50 employers (Ultimate Software) with its headquarter's located in Weston is currently hiring a lot of IT professionals. I work for a small company in Weston and we had to outsource jobs to Colombia because we cannot find talents here in SoFL. Other companies hiring right now are Tracfone, World Fuel, Avmed, Carnival and NCL just to mention a few.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area