Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 12:28 PM

351 posts, read 460,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sontek View Post
Thanks for the info! Sounds like everyone prefers Weston on these forums so probably the first place I'm going to look.

What about bilingual schools in the area? Are there good preschool/elementary schools that have bilingual or spanish immersion? We lived in Chile for a year and our boys are now in bilingual preschool and we'd like to continue their language education when we move.
I believe all elementary schools in Weston now have the English/Spanish Immersion program in place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 01:59 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,631,226 times
I'll chime in as I'm about the same age with 2 children.

We currently live in Cooper City, but will be moving to Davie. If I was on a $500k budget, I'd stay right where I am in Cooper City. We have a 1/3 acre lot on Rock Creek lake, 3/2. We are upgrading to a larger house on an acre, which Davie is almost exclusive for these types of houses.

As others have said, the ride from Weston to the beach is trivial. It's 20 miles but all highway. Roughly 30 minutes. Another poster said Cooper City is longer but that's not true. It's 20 - 30 minutes down Sheridan to the Hollywood Broadwalk, which is way better than Ft Lauderdale beach.

Personally, with your budget, I would definitely look in Cooper City. Outstanding schools all the way through high school. It's not obnoxiously west and "out there" like Weston, and is surrounded by absolutely everything. We have immediately access to all the stores and shopping in Pines. 75 and 595 are both less than 10 minutes away. I get to Fort Lauderdale Airport in under 20 minutes, 25 - 30 minutes for Miami Airport, Sawgrass is 15 minutes, Markham is close, CB Smith, tons of parks and recreation activities in Cooper also. It's easily the best suburb for families in South Florida, by a long shot.

Look in Rock Creek and Embassy Lakes to start. Larger lots in Rock Creek, but there are other housing (non-HOA) areas as well in Cooper City. I have no clue about English-Spanish programs in Cooper City, though.

Old 11-23-2015, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sontek View Post
We will rent for a year no matter where we end up just to make sure its where we want to be. Our rental monthly budget is $2500/month and when we look to purchase our limit would be no more than $500,000
I think it should be noted that $2500/mo is nowhere near a $500,000 house in this area. I know you are talking about renting vs buying, but I know $2500/mo can get you near a $500k house in other areas in the country, but not here. With our insurance and taxes, that is a $350k house with a sub 4% loan. Just want to make sure you are aware of that and keep your expectations realistic when it comes to purchasing.

Old 11-23-2015, 07:38 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,464,617 times
Weston is your best option, if you can afford private schools Kendall and Coconut Grove is nice as well and are closer to the beach than Weston just not get a backyard but they have some super nice houses and condo's.

Old 11-24-2015, 09:32 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,823,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
I think it should be noted that $2500/mo is nowhere near a $500,000 house in this area. I know you are talking about renting vs buying, but I know $2500/mo can get you near a $500k house in other areas in the country, but not here. With our insurance and taxes, that is a $350k house with a sub 4% loan. Just want to make sure you are aware of that and keep your expectations realistic when it comes to purchasing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Weston is your best option, if you can afford private schools Kendall and Coconut Grove is nice as well and are closer to the beach than Weston just not get a backyard but they have some super nice houses and condo's.
Concur.

Cooper City is quite nice too.

But I still prefer Weston for being uniformly nice You just have to see it with your own eyes.

For $2,500 per month in Weston, you can rent a very nice 4 BR townhouse. Plenty nice to set up base for one year while you are getting familiar with the area and looking for a home to buy.

Old 11-24-2015, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
Concur.

Cooper City is quite nice too.

But I still prefer Weston for being uniformly nice You just have to see it with your own eyes.

For $2,500 per month in Weston, you can rent a very nice 4 BR townhouse. Plenty nice to set up base for one year while you are getting familiar with the area and looking for a home to buy.
I like Weston also. I've spent plenty of time there. It reminds me of Irvine in California when I lived there. Proper curbs and landscaping everything, etc. I think Cooper City has a better location and you get more for you money, also. My new house is in Davie but just over the bridge from Weston, so I'll be spending more time in Weston

You can get a single family home with a pool on the water in Weston or Cooper City for $2500. Why settle for a townhouse?

Old 11-24-2015, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
I like Weston also. I've spent plenty of time there. It reminds me of Irvine in California when I lived there. Proper curbs and landscaping everything, etc. I think Cooper City has a better location and you get more for you money, also. My new house is in Davie but just over the bridge from Weston, so I'll be spending more time in Weston

You can get a single family home with a pool on the water in Weston or Cooper City for $2500. Why settle for a townhouse?
.. I was just showing a client of mine places in Weston in the $2500 category... You can find a 3BR single family home for this price, but most likely without a pool or waterfront.

Old 11-25-2015, 05:15 AM

Quote:
.. I was just showing a client of mine places in Weston in the $2500 category... You can find a 3BR single family home for this price, but most likely without a pool or waterfront.
I pulled up Weston on Zillow and found multiple 3/2 homes in the $2500 range on the water with a pool.

Old 11-25-2015, 07:04 AM

Sorry BNBR, don't trust Zillow too much. It is way outdated. It is *not* linked to MLS. It completely depends on people logging in an updating their listings manually, and many people don't do that.

Which reminds me... I lowered the price on one of my listings yesterday. I better go change the price in Zillow.

Old 11-25-2015, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Sorry BNBR, don't trust Zillow too much. It is way outdated. It is *not* linked to MLS. It completely depends on people logging in an updating their listings manually, and many people don't do that.

Which reminds me... I lowered the price on one of my listings yesterday. I better go change the price in Zillow.
I found my current house on Zillow. It was listed there prior to the MLS, actually. I was lucky to find it as it would have been snatched up immediately once properly listed. Realtor.com is more up to date than Zillow, but Zillow is by no means way outdated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area