Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2016, 01:40 AM

4 posts, read 4,056 times

Advertisements

So as the title states I'm moving from Missouri to FLL/Hollywood area in Jan 17'. I will be starting with barry's nurse anesthesia program. The program building is located at 421 N 21st Ave Hollywood FL, but eventually I will be traveling to hospitals all around the area(Miami, FLL, Hollywood, etc) for clinical rotations. I've scoured all over websites looking for apartments, the only place I've seen that hasn't gotten terrible reviews and is in my price range is Park Colony, at 812 S Park Road, Hollywood, FL 33021. Basically looking for a quiet place, centrally located, 1 bed, 1 bath prefer W/D in unit. Also have to be forgiving of the fact that I cannot work and will be living off student loans. Looking to stay under $1200 a month. I've also read that seeking a realtors help would be beneficial, any recommendations? I will be flying down again June 24th to explore the area.

BTW I'm coming from MO and $1200 a month gets you A LOT, where as down there it looks like $1200 barely gets me 700sq ft.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2016, 08:45 AM

191 posts, read 316,060 times
I think the fact that you aren't "working" is going to make it difficult for many of the apartment complexes, unless you are able to pay a big chunk up front. (Not sure if the way your loans are disbursed would make that possible.)

It's hard to say what will be available when you are ready to move, but generally speaking if you are in Broward County - the further west you are the better the neighborhoods will be.

The rental prices down here are really out of line if you ask me. Tied to the housing market in general, which is really overpriced for what salaries are - but it's what we have to deal with.

Just throw it out there - did you consider the grad housing at Barry? My son is likely going to Barry in fall of 2017, so we've been doing price comparisons... I'm pretty sure you could get housing for less than your budget and it would include utilities and most meals. Plus the fact that you aren't working won't be an issue.

It's not really close to the program building, but if you are going to have rotations to go to - it is fairly centrally located for Dade / Broward.

Old 05-13-2016, 06:17 PM

443 posts, read 891,019 times
Park Colony Apartments are in a pretty nice area, just down the street from the police station. You might look at Windsor Apartments, too.

A real estate agent could be helpful. You don't pay anything to use their services (the landlord pays the commission) and they often have listings for condos, duplexes, etc.

I would stay away from any apartments near the Barry program building on 21st Ave. That's not the greatest part of town.

Old 05-13-2016, 06:19 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,441,036 times
Look into the areas of Davie and Plantation. NOVA Southeastern University is the big school around here, and there are tons of college rental apartment communities in that area. You would be somewhere right off of 595, so you could easily get to 95 south to Hollywood. Also, if commuting to the main Barry campus, you could take the Turnpike south part of the way.

Old 05-15-2016, 12:13 AM

17,084 posts, read 21,755,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbl7td View Post
So as the title states I'm moving from Missouri to FLL/Hollywood area in Jan 17'. I will be starting with barry's nurse anesthesia program.

Thanks!
I had a neighbor that was making good money as a nurse anesthestist until he found that some hospitals wouldn't allow him to work because he wasn't an MD. He was doing it for over 20 years so going back to school wasn't an option for him. If hospitals are trying to earn some type of accreditation then they have to meet certain standards and him not being an MD was a problem. This happens with nurses who don't have bachelor's degrees also.

Old 05-16-2016, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralanprod View Post
I think the fact that you aren't "working" is going to make it difficult for many of the apartment complexes, unless you are able to pay a big chunk up front. (Not sure if the way your loans are disbursed would make that possible.)

It's hard to say what will be available when you are ready to move, but generally speaking if you are in Broward County - the further west you are the better the neighborhoods will be.

The rental prices down here are really out of line if you ask me. Tied to the housing market in general, which is really overpriced for what salaries are - but it's what we have to deal with.

Just throw it out there - did you consider the grad housing at Barry? My son is likely going to Barry in fall of 2017, so we've been doing price comparisons... I'm pretty sure you could get housing for less than your budget and it would include utilities and most meals. Plus the fact that you aren't working won't be an issue.

It's not really close to the program building, but if you are going to have rotations to go to - it is fairly centrally located for Dade / Broward.
I have not considered the graduate living because I would like to avoid the Miami area, some of my clinicals could be as far north as past FLL. Also from what I've seen they are very small, almost like dorm living.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigo View Post
Park Colony Apartments are in a pretty nice area, just down the street from the police station. You might look at Windsor Apartments, too.

A real estate agent could be helpful. You don't pay anything to use their services (the landlord pays the commission) and they often have listings for condos, duplexes, etc.

I would stay away from any apartments near the Barry program building on 21st Ave. That's not the greatest part of town.
Can you recommend an agent or anyone else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I had a neighbor that was making good money as a nurse anesthestist until he found that some hospitals wouldn't allow him to work because he wasn't an MD. He was doing it for over 20 years so going back to school wasn't an option for him. If hospitals are trying to earn some type of accreditation then they have to meet certain standards and him not being an MD was a problem. This happens with nurses who don't have bachelor's degrees also.
This happens to nurses who aren't a BSN, for magnet status. However, DNP isn't a requirement for CRNA's yet. It sounds like it was good your friend got out of that hospital anyways. There are tons of jobs open for CRNA's. They can be paid much less than MD's and unfortunately do the same work. Typically there are 1-2 MD's overseeing several CRNA's. There are also several states that allow CRNA only practice.

Old 05-17-2016, 05:56 PM

443 posts, read 891,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbl7td View Post

Can you recommend an agent or anyone else?
Almost any real estate company can show you rentals that are listed on the MLS. Try Remax Executive Realty at 1939 Hollywood Blvd. or Elite Coastal Properties at 1844 Radius Drive or Coldwell Banker at 3319 Sheridan Street. I've dealt with all of them at one time or another when listing my rentals. They're all very competent.

I found this place on Craigslist. It's in a decent neighborhood about 2 miles from your Barry location on 21st. There aren't many photos so I don't know how it is inside, but it's right across the street from a 9 hole golf course.
1 Bed/1Bath E Hollywoo

Here's a condo for rent that's just east of US 1 on Sheridan Street that's in your budget.
Sheridan East Condo

This one is east of US 1, south of Hollywood Blvd.
1BR Apartment Heat Included!

This one is right downtown and looks pretty nice but the move-in requirements might be hard to meet since you aren't working. But if you can convince the landlord that you're a good, stable tenant, he might be willing to give you a chance.
1 Bed/1.5 Bath Condo For RENT - $995.00

Good luck!

Old 05-17-2016, 06:16 PM

49 posts, read 74,115 times
I lived in Park Colony when I was a student living on student loans, but that was 16 years ago! So I can't say that what went on then is even the case anymore.

There are several apartment complexes that are on that stretch of S. Park Rd, park colony, pineherst and Windsor. All are super convienient to everything and a pretty safe area.

Welcome to Hollywood!!!

Old 06-15-2016, 05:47 PM

40 posts, read 95,343 times
I actually applied to this program a little late, and I'm hoping to get interviewed soon (I was told I may be called for the next round of interviews since my stats meet their criteria), which is how I stumbled onto this thread. Have you thought about renting a room out of a house? This usually costs about half of what a 1BR APT does. Swinging 600/month on loans is much easier than 1200.

If you're a flexible person that is okay with having roommates, it's usually much cheaper, and you can usually live in a much nicer neighborhood. I did this all throughout my undergrad. Also, there's more chance of getting a month-to-month lease with a landlord who is more understandable about leasing out to a student living on loans than a large corporation would be. Living with roommates isn't too bad if you're never home.

I'm hoping to get Tampa, Orlando, Ocala, or WPB (Jupiter area) since rent is a little cheaper in these areas. Obviously I would go wherever though.

Keep us updated!

Old 06-19-2016, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by losertalents View Post
I actually applied to this program a little late, and I'm hoping to get interviewed soon (I was told I may be called for the next round of interviews since my stats meet their criteria), which is how I stumbled onto this thread. Have you thought about renting a room out of a house? This usually costs about half of what a 1BR APT does. Swinging 600/month on loans is much easier than 1200.

If you're a flexible person that is okay with having roommates, it's usually much cheaper, and you can usually live in a much nicer neighborhood. I did this all throughout my undergrad. Also, there's more chance of getting a month-to-month lease with a landlord who is more understandable about leasing out to a student living on loans than a large corporation would be. Living with roommates isn't too bad if you're never home.

I'm hoping to get Tampa, Orlando, Ocala, or WPB (Jupiter area) since rent is a little cheaper in these areas. Obviously I would go wherever though.

Keep us updated!
Well hey good luck!

I too did the roommate situation through undergrad and even several years after. Going into such an intense program however, there's no way I'd feel comfortable rooming up with someone I don't know. There's just too much on the line to have to deal with someone else's BS. I could see it as a possibility for second year when I get to know people in the class. When we get out we'll make more than enough to cover the extra costs, and too me that's worth it if it ensures I succeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area