Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 08:20 AM

640 posts, read 1,295,410 times

Advertisements

Mr Knight

I'm also from central florida moved to lauderdale and now live in washington dc.

I found the social profile ,lesiure activities and neighborhoods to be more to my liking in the DC area instead of lauderdale.

However the depending on your career and social preferences Ft.lauderdale may be the best fit for you.

Las olas area downtown is beautiful.....i used to like hanging out at YOLO restaurant. Enjoy the Sun and Weather in lauderdale its beautiful during the winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2016, 10:20 AM

1,169 posts, read 1,431,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimewitue View Post
Mr Knight

I'm also from central florida moved to lauderdale and now live in washington dc.

I found the social profile ,lesiure activities and neighborhoods to be more to my liking in the DC area instead of lauderdale.

However the depending on your career and social preferences Ft.lauderdale may be the best fit for you.

Las olas area downtown is beautiful.....i used to like hanging out at YOLO restaurant. Enjoy the Sun and Weather in lauderdale its beautiful during the winter.
Thank you for your response Aimewitue! Just out of curiosity, how different is DC from Fort Lauderdale and why do you like DC better? I currently live the Foggy Bottom/Georgetown area of DC..

I have lived in DC for four years so I know there will be somewhat of a culture shock when I move down but I also hope and pray that there are enough positives to the area to outweigh any less desirable changes.. I assume that there are many pros and cons to both..

Old 06-07-2016, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnight View Post
Thank you for your response Aimewitue! Just out of curiosity, how different is DC from Fort Lauderdale and why do you like DC better? I currently live the Foggy Bottom/Georgetown area of DC..

I have lived in DC for four years so I know there will be somewhat of a culture shock when I move down but I also hope and pray that there are enough positives to the area to outweigh any less desirable changes.. I assume that there are many pros and cons to both..

Well if your from central florida you know the difference between DC and orlando already. its the same thing in lauderdale. There aren't many young professionals in fort lauderdale due the fact there just aren't many professional jobs in fort lauderdale.

I found that Washington DC has Tons and Tons of young professionals perhaps more young professionals than anywhere else in the country between the 25-40 age range. For example there is no area like Georgetown in ft.lauderdale period.If your looking for a neighborhood full of young professionals in lauderdale good luck. You will find some in the suburbs though.

With Washington DC having so many young professionals it makes social activities easy to find in the DC area. I didn't find this to be the case in fort lauderdale. Ft.lauderdale is almost a sleepy small town compared to the DC area.I found Washington DC had more young professionals with Disposal income to go out.

The cost of housing and the cost of living in ft.lauderdale to also be the same as Washington DC. But the wages in ft.lauderdale to be much less. High cost of living plus poor wages not a good combination.

The only advantage i could give to ft.lauderdale was better winter weather.

For me Social and Career wise DC was the much better move. Good luck with your search.

Old 06-07-2016, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Well if your from central florida you know the difference between DC and orlando already. its the same thing in lauderdale. There aren't many young professionals in fort lauderdale due the fact there just aren't many professional jobs in fort lauderdale.

I found that Washington DC has Tons and Tons of young professionals perhaps more young professionals than anywhere else in the country between the 25-40 age range. For example there is no area like Georgetown in ft.lauderdale period.If your looking for a neighborhood full of young professionals in lauderdale good luck. You will find some in the suburbs though.

With Washington DC having so many young professionals it makes social activities easy to find in the DC area. I didn't find this to be the case in fort lauderdale. Ft.lauderdale is almost a sleepy small town compared to the DC area.I found Washington DC had more young professionals with Disposal income to go out.

The cost of housing and the cost of living in ft.lauderdale to also be the same as Washington DC. But the wages in ft.lauderdale to be much less. High cost of living plus poor wages not a good combination.

For me Social and Career wise DC was the much better move. Good luck with your search.
Thank you again Aimewitue.. Well, I do not expect Fort Lauderdale to be exactly like DC from a social standpoint, if anything it will be more relaxed which is fine as the borderline elitist mindset of career-oriented Washingtonians can sometimes become redundant and tiresome, but with that said, from my understanding there is a decent size cluster of young professionals in the Las Olas area, isn't that correct?

Also, from your experience are young professionals in Fort Lauderdale similar to those in DC or is it a whole different ball park? I hope to meet some like-minded young professionals that respect their careers but also know how to have a good time and connect with people without being elitist or "stuck up"..

Last edited by MrKnight; 06-07-2016 at 01:30 PM..

Old 06-07-2016, 02:08 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,827,848 times
Quote:

Your?

Old 06-07-2016, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Thank you again Aimewitue.. Well, I do not expect Fort Lauderdale to be exactly like DC from a social standpoint, if anything it will be more relaxed which is fine as the borderline elitist mindset of career-oriented Washingtonians can sometimes become redundant and tiresome, but with that said, from my understanding there is a decent size cluster of young professionals in the Las Olas area, isn't that correct?

Also, from your experience are young professionals in Fort Lauderdale similar to those in DC or is it a whole different ball park? I hope to meet some like-minded young professionals that respect their careers but also know how to have a good time and connect with people without being elitist or "stuck up"..
In my experience the ft lauderdale environment isn't more relaxed due to the fact people are leaving for jobs in the northeast or west coast. Very Transient and very unprofessional.

The elitist mindset of career oriented washingtonians can become tiresome but that better than an anything goes no career-focused very unprofessional mindset you will find in ft.lauderdale.

Las olas has a small number of young professionals who act elitist but really aren't. I've found that DC professionals are more open and friendly probably just due to fact that DC is a international city. I've connected with way more professionals in DC than lauderdale. There are plenty of professionals who can have a good time and connect in the DC area. DC isn't just a different ballpark its in a different league than lauderdale.

What are your primary reasons for moving to ft lauderdale? Better job? Better weather? Family? Significant other? Once you answer that then its easier to determine if the city is right for you. In today society where you live is more important than ever.

Old 06-07-2016, 05:41 PM

Quote:
In my experience the ft lauderdale environment isn't more relaxed due to the fact people are leaving for jobs in the northeast or west coast. Very Transient and very unprofessional.

I do not mean to sound challenging, but having personally lived in DC for four years this statement is extremely ironic and frankly inaccurate as I honestly couldn't think of a more transient city than DC, this city is essentially a giant revolving door, I cannot even begin to count how many neighbors I have seen come and go over the past four years, most of which relocated to other cities, not to mention, I personally know a handful of DMVers (folks who live or lived in the DC area) who have actually relocated to Florida over the past year and several who are currently thinking about relocating to Florida..

Quote:
The elitist mindset of career oriented washingtonians can become tiresome but that better than an anything goes no career-focused very unprofessional mindset you will find in ft.lauderdale.

Once again, it is not my intention to sound challenging and I appreciate your responses, however, I honestly find it hard to believe that everyone in Fort Lauderdale has an "anything goes no career-focused very unprofessional mindset" as you say, that sounds like a major generalization and I really hope it is not the case..

Quote:
What are your primary reasons for moving to ft lauderdale? Better job? Better weather? Family? Significant other? Once you answer that then its easier to determine if the city is right for you. In today society where you live is more important than ever.

My primary reasons for moving from DC to Fort Lauderdale are as follows:

- I work in the hospitality industry and after several attempts I was finally offered an internal transfer opportunity within my company to this new location, my new job in Fort Lauderdale comes with a slight pay increase (even coming from DC) and slightly more responsibility than my current job here in DC..
- I will be much closer to family (driving distance) but not way too close which is a happy medium..
- I am worn out on DC winters and look forward to consistent warmth and sunshine down south..
- I have many close friends in Central Florida which I understand is about a 3 hour drive from Fort Lauderdale..

What are your thoughts?

Old 06-07-2016, 07:20 PM

While there is a sizeable population of professional party goers in South Florida, including Fort Lauderdale (don't forget, this used to be the Spring Break capital back when), there is also a good amount of actual professionals here too.

Old 06-07-2016, 07:22 PM

Quote:
- I work in the hospitality industry and after several attempts I was finally offered an internal transfer opportunity within my company to this new location, my new job in Fort Lauderdale comes with a slight pay increase (even coming from DC) and slightly more responsibility than my current job here in DC..

What are your thoughts?

Where exactly in Fort Lauderdale will your job be (geographically)?

You will enjoy the experience that much more if you don't have to spend a lot of time commuting.

Old 06-08-2016, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
Where exactly in Fort Lauderdale will your job be (geographically)?

You will enjoy the experience that much more if you don't have to spend a lot of time commuting.

My job will be near the Galleria Mall, I hence opted to live in Las Olas area which I understand is only like a 15 min drive from there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area