Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 12:35 PM

7 posts, read 5,670 times

Advertisements

Would love to see a ranking of downtowns in the FLL area in terms of available restaurants and overall safety (one ranking considering those two things). What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2016, 12:36 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,633,582 times
Is there more than one?

Old 06-04-2016, 12:39 PM

7 posts, read 5,670 times
Quote:
Is there more than one?
Good question from me! I guess I'm thinking of downtowns with respect to collections of local restaurants (for example, restaurants on Las Olas vs a strip mall in Plantation).

Old 06-04-2016, 01:08 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoUninformed View Post
Good question from me! I guess I'm thinking of downtowns with respect to collections of local restaurants (for example, restaurants on Las Olas vs a strip mall in Plantation).
You are comparing apples to oranges.

Plantation is a suburb.

Fort Lauderdale has a downtown.

Miami has a downtown.

West Palm Beach has a downtown.

There is no comparison between Las Olas and a strip mall in Plantation.

Old 06-04-2016, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
You are comparing apples to oranges.

Plantation is a suburb.

Fort Lauderdale has a downtown.

Miami has a downtown.

West Palm Beach has a downtown.

There is no comparison between Las Olas and a strip mall in Plantation.

I guess, based on the OPs definition... The Fountains, Pembroke Gardens, Sawgrass, University Coral Springs, etc.

It's still apples and oranges and all are great

For what it's worth, I don't feel there is a great cluster of restaurants anywhere in Broward. There are a couple good spots on Las Olas, but when I think of "THE" places, it's totally scattered all over the county.

Old 06-05-2016, 09:12 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
)

For what it's worth, I don't feel there is a great cluster of restaurants anywhere in Broward. There are a couple good spots on Las Olas, but when I think of "THE" places, it's totally scattered all over the county.
I think Himmarshee Village probably has the best concentration of good restaurants: OB House, Taco Craft, Rok Brgr, Himmarshee Public House, Tarpon Bend, Sushi Song, and I know I'm leaving something out.

Plus the vibe sitting on the street is just so amazing.

Old 06-05-2016, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I think Himmarshee Village probably has the best concentration of good restaurants: OB House, Taco Craft, Rok Brgr, Himmarshee Public House, Tarpon Bend, Sushi Song, and I know I'm leaving something out.

Plus the vibe sitting on the street is just so amazing.

None of those are "THE" spots... maybe OB House But they are just good/decent restaurants. Most areas have something similar. Pembroke Gardens has a ton of great restaurants, as does Coral Springs, Weston Rd/Town Center, etc. We are not lacking in great food in Broward.

Old 06-05-2016, 08:11 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,471,842 times
I don't think the OP's question was unreasonable. He said the "FLL area". The area has several other significant downtowns besides just FLL. We have downtown Hollywood, Hollywood Boardwalk, Hollywood Hardrock area, Wilton Manors, Plantation/Fountains, Mizner Park (Boca), Fort Lauderdale Beach, Lauderdale By The Seas, Hillsboro Mile/Deerfield Pier, Pompano/Atlantic, Sunrise City Center, and other pockets. Each of these areas have small, but growing downtowns with concentrations of restaurants and nightlife.

Las Olas would be ground zero currently in terms of most restaurants. Followed by downtown Hollywood, Himmarshee, and Mizner Park. The rest would lag behind. This is just my opinion. Others may differ. Downtown Delray Beach would actually be #1 for me, but I do not consider it within the "FLL area".

Old 06-06-2016, 05:35 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,254,506 times
As others have written, apples to oranges, it all depends on what a person seeks. IMHO shopping out west is much better than shopping on the east side. Also there are great restaurants all over Broward country, so for me even a 20 minute drive does not mean much if I like a particular place to eat. We now live east, used to live west, so lots of our friends are still west, thus we often eat out on both sides of town. I find some of the restaurants out west to be less expensive or give more for the buck than the ones on the east side, probably at least partially due to higher rents and maybe cost of labor on the east side.

I happen to like living on both sides of town but had found out west to be quieter at night.

Old 06-06-2016, 03:50 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
I like downtown Hollywood which has a lot of different kinds of restaurants and lively drinking establishments, nicely landscaped, parking not too difficult, and some interesting galleries and shops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area