Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 01:47 AM

2,033 posts, read 3,208,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
This is FL. You get FL style homes in FL (imagine that). You can install wood floors in any house you buy. Don't fixate on something that you can change. Some people will tell you that you can't have wood floors in FL but that is not true. I am from NY. I was born in Brooklyn, grew up on Long Island and lived in Westchester and Fairfield County CT so I am very familiar with the NY area. The area you are moving to is different. You will not be able to recreate NY here in FL. It isn't going to happen so forget about doing it.

You will have many choices in your price range. If you want custom homes you can look at Plantation Acres but you will need to do private school past elementary school. Plantation Acres is very nice and has mostly custom homes. At the lower end of your price range the houses will need some work. Really any of the homes in Plantation Acres under $1million will need some work.

If you want good public schools Weston or Parkland are your best bets. In those areas you will probably need to consider gated communities in your price range. I also like Cooper City and there are some areas that have custom homes.

As far as mostly Catholic most affluent areas in south Florida will have a Catholic presence. There will also be a large Jewish population in those areas. Many of the areas that have a large Catholic presence (like Weston) will also have a very large, very visible Spanish speaking population. That was not a problem for me when I lived in Weston but you need to be prepared for it.

The bottom line is that if you are moving here you have to deal with here. It isn't New York moved south. It has its own culture, pluses and minuses. You need to deal with what is here, not what you want. If you move here expecting to just pick up your NY life and move it here you will be very very very unhappy.

Edited to add: You can do your own pool.

Agree! We grew up in NYC. Lived on LI a long time. Then moved to Weston & lived there for several years. Now back on LI. But yes! 100% agree. She is looking for NY style homes in So. Fla. She will not get it. Can you imagine if the had siding on homes there? I know there are some that do. the regular pop up storms that So. Fla gets you would have siding ripped of homes daily.

And the LI lifestyle OP is looking for. You are right to say OP will be very unhappy & disappointed. So fla like anyplace you go on the world has their pluses & their minuses. While the all year round weather is nice.And many move down there for that reason. We missed the 4 distinct seasons badly. Especially the Fall. All year heat is not my cup of tea. The Jan cool downs are not cold enough for us. And not cold enough to kill the bugs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2016, 06:45 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,633,582 times
There is definitely NY style homes here, few and far between, but they exist. Though I don't know if I consider them "NY style" as it's very much a southern style, too. There is houses with siding and what not.

Old 09-21-2016, 12:12 PM

I will say this Beach.

You seem to be looking for rich yuppie type of neighborhoods like you have on LI. And no one that speaks any Spanish.

YUPPIE neighborhoods simply do not exist in So. Fla.

You will NOT find any Merrick to Massapequa corridor anywhere in all of So. Fla. They simply do not exist in So Fla. Sounds to me like you best choice is NOTHING in all of So Fla. Honestly! Everything is more blended in down there. I too was a bit bothered by all the Spanish speaking people whole time we were living in Weston. But that never stopped me from LOVING it

But if you are looking for the Merrick or Sands Point of LI in So. Fla you are not going to find it or be happy. There are no ways to avoid Spanish speaking people in So. Fla. Maybe 50 years ago. But not now. Also the Spanish speaking people that live in Weston. Are nothing like the ones you see here on LI. They are well educated hard working people. Not illegals like the problems we see now here on LI. Like in Brentwood especially.And Westbury. As well as Crimedanch as we call it now. Bay Shore. Mastic. Wes ton is nothing like any of the places I mentioned.

Weston is like the So. Merrick, So. Bellmore,Wantagh corridor really. Only difference is most people speak Spanish. But you will not find better public schools is all of So. Fla than what they have in Weston.

Old 09-21-2016, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
One of my daughters is at NYU after graduating from Weston's Cypress Bay High and the other one is at FIU.
Most Cypress Bay High graduates go to good colleges and universities, many go to top colleges. Cypress Bay is a very good school.

You need to live in Weston in order for your kids to be able to go to Cypress Bay.
Awesome! Hope your daughter is loving NYU & doing great up here.

Old 09-21-2016, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
I will say this Beach.

You seem to be looking for rich yuppie type of neighborhoods like you have on LI. And no one that speaks any Spanish.

YUPPIE neighborhoods simply do not exist in So. Fla.

You will NOT find any Merrick to Massapequa corridor anywhere in all of So. Fla. They simply do not exist in So Fla. Sounds to me like you best choice is NOTHING in all of So Fla. Honestly! Everything is more blended in down there. I too was a bit bothered by all the Spanish speaking people whole time we were living in Weston. But that never stopped me from LOVING it

But if you are looking for the Merrick or Sands Point of LI in So. Fla you are not going to find it or be happy. There are no ways to avoid Spanish speaking people in So. Fla. Maybe 50 years ago. But not now. Also the Spanish speaking people that live in Weston. Are nothing like the ones you see here on LI. They are well educated hard working people. Not illegals like the problems we see now here on LI. Like in Brentwood especially.And Westbury. As well as Crimedanch as we call it now. Bay Shore. Mastic. Wes ton is nothing like any of the places I mentioned.

Weston is like the So. Merrick, So. Bellmore,Wantagh corridor really. Only difference is most people speak Spanish. But you will not find better public schools is all of So. Fla than what they have in Weston.
I think our yuppie neighborhoods would be more like yuppie buildings. Las Olas, Brickell, etc. And more diverse.

Old 09-21-2016, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
I think our yuppie neighborhoods would be more like yuppie buildings. Las Olas, Brickell, etc. And more diverse.
Possibly. But being from LI & here now. I get a good sense of what Beachbum is looking for. They will not find it down there. No "Yuppie" rich folks area as a whole that are snobs like they are here in So Fla. I live in an area here that people commonly refer to as "Yuppie" rich snobs. I am not one of those. But there are not many (if any areas) in So.Fla like that. Here we have TONS of towns like that. Weston is the only place close to Plantation that fits her criteria. Minus her apparently major hang up of people that speak Spanish.

At this point I will say this.Yes...like you said in other thread. Beach is a troll. Her comments about wanting to avoid Spanish (Hispanics)usually spark racism. So my guess is that OP is doing that. Racist.

Old 09-21-2016, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBeachBum View Post
Why do they need a Spanish translation?
Because while the students are all bilingual & speak fluent English. Many parents don't.While most do not all are fluent. But honestly most of the people you are trying to avoid. Know English better than most American born English speaking only people. Especially true for the Hispanics in Weston. They have to make sure ALL people can read it. There is nothing wrong with that. At this point all your posts are really coming off as Racist. And starting to feel that is your intent here.

Old 09-23-2016, 07:38 AM

633 posts, read 581,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
Because while the students are all bilingual & speak fluent English. Many parents don't.While most do not all are fluent. But honestly most of the people you are trying to avoid. Know English better than most American born English speaking only people. Especially true for the Hispanics in Weston. They have to make sure ALL people can read it. There is nothing wrong with that. At this point all your posts are really coming off as Racist. And starting to feel that is your intent here.
Not racist at all. But in Weston now the realtors on Utube now are doing videos in Spanish with no English subtitles.

I live in a mixed neighborhood now and it is a bit annoying but at least it is mixed. I dont like neighbors overwhelmed by one group. And even more if you are not that group even harder.

I grew up in a town that turned Chinese. But over 15 years they bought every house. Soon the markets, stores etc stopped even putting up signs in English. I had no clue what half the stores were. The dinner, Irish Bars, Shoemakers, tailors all one by one went out of business.

Even supermarket went out of business as the new residents visited smaller asian produce shops or drove 10 miles to the larger asian neighborhood.

And these were rich asians but they just steamrolled town. I have an Orthodox town near me that did same thing. The one non Orthodox on block got charged with hate crimes for letting kids play outside on the Sabbath. Finally he sold at above market value as they wanted him out.

Old 09-23-2016, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Not racist at all. But in Weston now the realtors on Utube now are doing videos in Spanish with no English subtitles.

I live in a mixed neighborhood now and it is a bit annoying but at least it is mixed. I dont like neighbors overwhelmed by one group. And even more if you are not that group even harder.

I grew up in a town that turned Chinese. But over 15 years they bought every house. Soon the markets, stores etc stopped even putting up signs in English. I had no clue what half the stores were. The dinner, Irish Bars, Shoemakers, tailors all one by one went out of business.

Even supermarket went out of business as the new residents visited smaller asian produce shops or drove 10 miles to the larger asian neighborhood.

And these were rich asians but they just steamrolled town. I have an Orthodox town near me that did same thing. The one non Orthodox on block got charged with hate crimes for letting kids play outside on the Sabbath. Finally he sold at above market value as they wanted him out.

There is a clear and unavoidable Hispanic influence here. Lots of Spanish speakers. But there is certainly not an overwhelming sense of "Spanish" everywhere you go in the area. Business is conducted almost entirely in English here, at least 90%. Somewhere like Hialeah or Doral is much worse, billboards in Spanish, retail employees who don't even speak English, etc. But not Weston/Davie area.

You have a very skewed outlook on the area. Weston is very Hispanic but not overwhelmingly so. If you would prefer more English speakers, look at west Davie, Cooper City, or west Plantation. Plantation you will need private school, though.

But this idea that everything around here functions in Spanish is entirely inaccurate. If you were just visiting, you wouldn't even think it was 50% Spanish.

I annoy the Miami people on this forum because I trash talk west Miami as almost entirely Spanish speaking, uncomfortably so for a non-Spanish speaker. I live practically in Weston and think nothing of it here. It's just not what you are implying.

Old 09-23-2016, 09:50 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,828,936 times
Quote:

OMG OMG OMG! NYC Mayor Di Blasio speaks in Spanish on CNN!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area