Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 08:37 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,234,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
You don't need a permit to have a gun at home. Or in your car's glove comparetment, separate from the magazine.
That is not the law, Florida law only says securely encased, below is the law.

Quote:
Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine
790.25 Lawful ownership, possession, and use of firearms and other weapons.—

(3) LAWFUL USES.—The provisions of ss. 790.053 and 790.06 do not apply in the following instances, and, despite such sections, it is lawful for the following persons to own, possess, and lawfully use firearms and other weapons, ammunition, and supplies for lawful purposes:

(L) A person traveling by private conveyance when the weapon is securely encased or in a public conveyance when the weapon is securely encased and not in the person’s manual possession;

(5) POSSESSION IN PRIVATE CONVEYANCE.—Notwithstanding subsection (2), it is lawful and is not a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for self-defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use. Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use. Nothing herein contained shall be construed to authorize the carrying of a concealed firearm or other weapon on the person. This subsection shall be liberally construed in favor of the lawful use, ownership, and possession of firearms and other weapons, including lawful self-defense as provided in s. 776.012.
Quote:
(17) “Securely encased” means in a glove compartment, whether or not locked; snapped in a holster; in a gun case, whether or not locked; in a zippered gun case; or in a closed box or container which requires a lid or cover to be opened for access.
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/.../0790.001.html
Beyond those the only other thing people need to be aware of is reckless display AKA IMPROPER EXHIBITION OF A FIREARM IN FLORIDA, thus it is best if the firearm is out of sight.

Let me add, I always recommend people carry a copy of the law in case they should run into a rookie who does not know the law, but never challenge the officer if he tells you that you are breaking the law, instead just ask them nicely if this is the actual law, showing him or her the law and ask has thing changed.

Last edited by Mr. Lee; 01-26-2017 at 08:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2017, 08:53 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,234,876 times
Next would come knowing the law of when a person can use deadly force. If you own a firearm and may have to use it for self defense, then know the law.

Quote:
Chapter 776
JUSTIFIABLE USE OF FORCE
View Entire Chapter
CHAPTER 776
JUSTIFIABLE USE OF FORCE
Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

Old 01-26-2017, 11:56 AM

27 posts, read 29,237 times
Interesting information. Thank you.

Old 01-26-2017, 04:43 PM

3,939 posts, read 6,675,893 times
MA elliot what part of MA are you moving from?

Old 01-26-2017, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
MA elliot what part of MA are you moving from?
Haverhill, about 30 miles north of Boston

Old 01-26-2017, 05:55 PM

196 posts, read 157,795 times
[quote=mabell228;46929526]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
A two bedroom townhouse in Weston will be between $1,700 and $2,000 asking.

P.S. re-reading the original post, the why is it that many people from out of state are so scared that they think they may need to carry a gun? Does the media up North portray South Florida as such a violent place? It is not the first time someone from MA has asked me similar questions.[/QUOTE

Because from reading on here people are saying to stay away from a lot of the areas that the crime is very high. Also we have some family that lives in the Fort Lauderdale area that said they got a license to carry.
Just trying to get information and tips on here from everyone. I want to be well prepared. 😊
Quote:
Originally Posted by mabell228 View Post
Hi!
I am looking for answers to a couple of questions:
1. My husband will have a job when we move down this summer in the Oakland Park area. We will sell our home up here then rent for the first year down there because I won't have a job, I will have to look for one. I have read on here in some of threads that it is hard to find a job down there, is this true? I have been working for the school system up here for 16 years as a secretary.
2. What areas have the lowest crime?
3. And is the crime so bad that we would need to carry a gun around?

Thank you!
For a list of answers:

1. What are you looking for in a job? If you're looking for jobs here that around or over 100k or even 70k, you're gonna have a bad time.

2. You're not going to get low crime and cheap housing down here, unless you are willing to shell out above average to high amounts of housing. If you are unable or unwilling to sacrifice one of those, you're gonna have a bad time.

3. No, unless you want to rent in the section 8 housing district.

Old 01-26-2017, 06:46 PM

I just don't understand some people on here. I am a newbie going to a new location and am looking for reasonable answers. No need to be fresh just looking for direction. For those of you who were nice and answered my questions to help guide me, thank you.

Old 01-27-2017, 11:28 AM

3,939 posts, read 6,675,893 times
Quote:
I just don't understand some people on here. I am a newbie going to a new location and am looking for reasonable answers. No need to be fresh just looking for direction. For those of you who were nice and answered my questions to help guide me, thank you.
Don't be put off by the negative responses. It happens to all of us. You just have to wade through the "muck" to get to the good information people provide. Also, this thread is not a true reflection of the people you will meet when you relocate. Good luck with your move! I was born and raised in MA and left 20 years ago. There are lots of things I still like about the state but winter and the growing COL are not on that list! Lived in Florida once before and hoping to make it back there soon. Loved being able to get to the beach in 15 minutes.

Last edited by goolsbyjazz; 01-27-2017 at 11:31 AM.. Reason: content

Old 01-28-2017, 07:45 AM

Thank you. That is good to hear. We are so tired of the winters here and only being able to use our pool 2 months out of the year. We are looking to live on the outskirts of Fort lauderdale, not in Fort Lauderdale (I know that is too expensive). Also the closer we are to the ocean the more expensive it is. A 15 minute drive to the ocean is not bad at all. The ultimate goal is to buy a house with 2-3 bedrooms, 2 baths keeping it around $225,000. Fingers crossed I can find a job before we move down there, I am thinking it would be too hard to rent with 4 dogs. From looking on Trulia and other sites, we can get a decent house at the price???

Old 01-28-2017, 10:22 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,775,767 times
Quote:
Thank you. That is good to hear. We are so tired of the winters here and only being able to use our pool 2 months out of the year. We are looking to live on the outskirts of Fort lauderdale, not in Fort Lauderdale (I know that is too expensive). Also the closer we are to the ocean the more expensive it is. A 15 minute drive to the ocean is not bad at all. The ultimate goal is to buy a house with 2-3 bedrooms, 2 baths keeping it around $225,000. Fingers crossed I can find a job before we move down there, I am thinking it would be too hard to rent with 4 dogs. From looking on Trulia and other sites, we can get a decent house at the price???
Good outskirts of Fort Lauderdale aren't cheap, and they are a little more than 15 min drive to the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area