Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 08:08 AM

27 posts, read 29,551 times

Advertisements

Hi!
I am looking for answers to a couple of questions:
1. My husband will have a job when we move down this summer in the Oakland Park area. We will sell our home up here then rent for the first year down there because I won't have a job, I will have to look for one. I have read on here in some of threads that it is hard to find a job down there, is this true? I have been working for the school system up here for 16 years as a secretary.
2. What areas have the lowest crime?
3. And is the crime so bad that we would need to carry a gun around?

Thank you!

Last edited by mabell228; 01-22-2017 at 09:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2017, 12:00 PM

311 posts, read 450,628 times
#1. The further east the better the neighborhood. There are pockets here and there in Pokeland Ark that are nice, but by and large the eastern section is better.

#2. It is easy finding a job. It is not so easy finding that "perfect" job in your preferred career path. If your husband has a good job, that takes a lot of pressure off you so that you can get any old job right away while searching for a better one. If you have already had a job in government, that is a big step up on getting a job in government here.

#3. There is nothing wrong with getting a CC permit, but it is not the wild west here. Most people don't carry, but anywhere you go you can be assured that there are people around you that do. There are crime areas but anybody with any awareness of their surroundings learns to avoid them. I would imagine that Oakland Park is about at the national average for crime.

Old 01-22-2017, 02:04 PM

Thank you for those answers TreeZoo. We don't necessarily need to live in Oakland Park area. What about the west side towns from Fort Lauderdale? As in Plantation, Sunrise, Tamarac, etc. We are a couple in our mid 40's. Our 24 year old son will be coming with us also.

Old 01-22-2017, 03:08 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,824,680 times
No, you don't need to carry a gun.

THE best areas to live that are withing commuting distance are Weston, Cooper City, Western parts of Davie, Western Parts of Plantation.

But what's your budget?

Old 01-22-2017, 03:20 PM

ruski we are looking to rent a house (with dogs) the budget we are looking at is around 1500/mth

Old 01-22-2017, 06:53 PM

3,233 posts, read 3,187,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mabell228 View Post
ruski we are looking to rent a house (with dogs) the budget we are looking at is around 1500/mth
I think that is low for a house in those desirable areas. As an example, when we moved to Gainesville in 2015 we rented our 4/2.5 in Weston to a family with dogs for $3000 a month.

Good luck. You've got a nice list of cities to work with but might have to rethink your budget.

Old 01-23-2017, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizrap View Post
I think that is low for a house in those desirable areas. As an example, when we moved to Gainesville in 2015 we rented our 4/2.5 in Weston to a family with dogs for $3000 a month.

Good luck. You've got a nice list of cities to work with but might have to rethink your budget.
What abut an apartment or a townhome?

Old 01-23-2017, 06:55 AM

3,233 posts, read 3,187,851 times
That's more doable if you also downsize # of bedrooms to 2. Two places that hit your hot buttons in terms of safety is the Bonaventure section of Weston (mostly villas, townhouses & condos that would primarily be for rent by owner) and Pine Island Ridge in west Davie (mostly condos & the rentals would be the same there--by owner).

Rented & then bought a condo in Pine Island Ridge as a single woman & always felt safe. Sold it to another single woman when I moved to Weston. Good luck!

Old 01-23-2017, 09:36 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,824,680 times
A two bedroom townhouse in Weston will be between $1,700 and $2,000 asking.

P.S. re-reading the original post, the why is it that many people from out of state are so scared that they think they may need to carry a gun? Does the media up North portray South Florida as such a violent place? It is not the first time someone from MA has asked me similar questions.

Old 01-23-2017, 11:17 AM

[quote=ruski;46927903]A two bedroom townhouse in Weston will be between $1,700 and $2,000 asking.

P.S. re-reading the original post, the why is it that many people from out of state are so scared that they think they may need to carry a gun? Does the media up North portray South Florida as such a violent place? It is not the first time someone from MA has asked me similar questions.[/QUOTE

Because from reading on here people are saying to stay away from a lot of the areas that the crime is very high. Also we have some family that lives in the Fort Lauderdale area that said they got a license to carry.
Just trying to get information and tips on here from everyone. I want to be well prepared. 😊
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area