Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 10:04 PM

8 posts, read 9,478 times

Advertisements

I'm a late 20's single professional currently living in the NYC metro area. I may have a job opportunity materializing in Sunrise, FL. I've been to Broward County before, but only for a quick weekend trip to Fort Lauderdale and an event at the BB&T Center.

I'm interested in hearing some of the pros and cons of living in or very close to Sunrise where the potential job would be, or living in a more "happening" area such as Las Olas. From reading this board and other online research it seems to me that living in Fort Lauderdale would mean higher rent and more of a commute to work, but I would be more exposed to nightlife and other young singles. My research also indicates that while Sunrise may give me more bang for my buck when it comes to rent (and little if any commute time) it may be lacking in the social scene I'm looking for.

Thank you in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2017, 02:08 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,773,961 times
Once Metropica gets built in 2018, you should be pretty happy with the social life in Sunrise.

Old 02-09-2017, 06:07 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,234,233 times
It is probably better to live close to work and then commute to Las Olas or other areas such as south beach for play, work you do everyday and go back and forth daily, play possibly not as often.

Old 02-10-2017, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
Once Metropica gets built in 2018, you should be pretty happy with the social life in Sunrise.
I've read about the Metropica project. It confuses me a bit. Wouldn't the "high end" types who will buy these properties prefer to be closer to the beach? I may be missing something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
It is probably better to live close to work and then commute to Las Olas or other areas such as south beach for play, work you do everyday and go back and forth daily, play possibly not as often.
Good point. How long is the drive from Sunrise to downtown Ft. Lauderdale/Las Olas on a Friday or Saturday night? 15/20 mins?

Old 02-10-2017, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreaCode201 View Post

Good point. How long is the drive from Sunrise to downtown Ft. Lauderdale/Las Olas on a Friday or Saturday night? 15/20 mins?
Google says 33 to 39 minutes

Old 02-10-2017, 06:15 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,773,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
Google says 33 to 39 minutes
Depends on what time of the day, and whether you are close to the entrance to the Express lanes.
It takes 20-25 minutes from Weston.

Old 02-10-2017, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
Depends on what time of the day, and whether you are close to the entrance to the Express lanes.
It takes 20-25 minutes from Weston.
Of course it will depend on where in Sunrise the op lives, how close it is to I595, the amount of traffic and so on and so on, that was why I used Googles estimate. During rush hour traffic will be much worse and during slow times less traffic but either way, downtown during season will take longer to get to the beach. I live on the east side and it took me a half hour the other day, leaving at 5:00 pm, to get down to the beach.

Old 02-10-2017, 07:23 PM

21 posts, read 27,215 times
I'm in the same position as OP, but my job is far west of Sunrise so I am hoping to live in Sunrise rather than Fort Lauderdale to save time and money. I'm curious to hear if anybody has experience living in Sunrise, it seems like an uber to Fort Lauderdale nightlife (outside of the beach area) would be less than $20.

Old 02-11-2017, 07:36 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,601,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talpostal View Post
I'm in the same position as OP, but my job is far west of Sunrise so I am hoping to live in Sunrise rather than Fort Lauderdale to save time and money. I'm curious to hear if anybody has experience living in Sunrise, it seems like an uber to Fort Lauderdale nightlife (outside of the beach area) would be less than $20.
From Sunrise to Ft Lauderdale will cost a bit more than $20. When I Uber home from the airport and I live near Sunrise, it's usually around $25 - $30 if I recall.

Where do you work that is far west of Sunrise? As Sunrise borders the everglades.... Just curious.

Sunrise definitely has some decent spots. Especially near the mall. Lots of very nice and new buildings have gone up and the traffic is minimal. The location has direct access to the major highways, too.

Old 02-12-2017, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post

Sunrise definitely has some decent spots. Especially near the mall. Lots of very nice and new buildings have gone up and the traffic is minimal. The location has direct access to the major highways, too.
Is there much of a "young" scene in Sunrise? By young I mean 20's-early 30's. I know Fort Lauderdale will have more, but I'm curious what goes on in Sunrise. Is the action more around the Sawgrass/BB&T Center?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area