U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 04:28 PM

8,160 posts, read 7,472,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelscorpio View Post
Were those houses bought in cash only, or bank loans? I mean, are the banks still doing loans or is completely zero.
Bought in cash.

Wall Street hedge funds bought most of those homes and made a ton of money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2017, 04:57 PM

139 posts, read 72,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
No, not taxes. It has to do with it's reputation. How long have you lived in the area?

Anyone who has been around the area, say, 30 years, probably knows people who USED to live in Miramar. It changed radically, went into the dumps. West Miramar is totally decent, but the city certainly suffers from a negative stigma that it earned before west Miramar existed.
Frankly,I don't, and never have lived in Miramar. It was a route I had to cross. But BN,my friend! Not trying to win an argument.But yes,if you compare it 30 years back I'm sure there are tons of changes! Probably indeed declined comparatively,but 30 years back and Pembroke Pines was the Everglades! (Exageratin a bit)

Many places have obviously changed in that matter of time out of newer towns flourishing. I see where you coming from thru that perspective. But to say it went into the dumps!? Cmon! West Miramar is nicer but while the east is...(maybe the old Miramar) it shouldn't be categorized as a dump either!

Show me pictures of the dumps to agree! Maybe I'm missing a few spots! Or crime statistics to back that up. Central Hallandale/South Central Hollywood in the other hand for example,while a limited section, is..well, I don't want to call it a dump when actual human beings live there..but is "a bit" rough. OK well,rough!

Let's not scare prospective buyers who can be the solution to that decline,if it has head that way. They won't be unsafe while probably getting a great bargain for their money. Don't misunderstand me I'm not putting them in a ghetto to fix it.But is not the ghetto!

OP- Let's just say anything on the border with Miami Gardens are areas to be more careful with;and like previously stated,the 441 corridor..Which depending who you are,your budget and where you been are livable (in a humble way lol) accordingly on a block by block basis too.

A stigma doesn't necessarily translate into a reality. Is just a stigma to overcome unless is a current reality. Wynwood had a bad stigma,and look!

Last edited by InternationalWaves; 03-12-2017 at 05:07 PM..

Old 03-12-2017, 08:43 PM

22,583 posts, read 11,772,509 times
Quote:
Correct. Anyone who has been here for some time knows that Miramar is not a desirable city. Having a certain city or zip code in your address has value to people. Regardless of how decent west Miramar is, the name is a stigma.

Just about everyone around here knows that. Lots of cities here have a negative stigma. Oakland Park, Lauderhill, etc. etc. etc. It's weird that this other poster is in such denial about it.
I don't think that is absolutely true. Some neighborhoods were shabby and became gentrified, others were once nice but went downhill.

I no longer live in South Florida, but I still have many relatives there and I've seen neighborhoods change.

When I was a very small child in the early 1960's Miramar was a very nice place. My parents were considering buying a brand new home built by a developer in a tract called Miramar Isles (I think) ... spacious ranch houses with sunken living rooms, eat in kitchens, marble window sills, central air conditioned, patios ... a swimming pool for $2,900 extra. By the late '80's and the '90's I heard the area was sliding downhill ... some snobbish people I know said folks from Hialeah and Opa Locka were moving in (what's wrong with that? I lived in Opa Locka for two years after I graduated college!) Maybe that was a veiled ethnic and racial slur.

My parents did not buy in Miramar, because Mom had her heart set on someplace near the beach. We ended up in the South Lake neighborhood of Hollywood, which was only a mile from Hollywood Beach. Let me tell you: Hollywood was really, really nice back in those days. When my parents died in the late 1990's they were broken-hearted because they felt their city of Hollywood slid down hill. They were fond of Hollywood and were engaged in community activities and organizations; my Mom's favorite sister lived in Hollywood Hills. Personally I think Hollywood is still okay, but some people consider Hollywood a dump.

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest!

Old 03-13-2017, 07:16 AM

1,911 posts, read 1,178,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InternationalWaves View Post
Frankly,I don't, and never have lived in Miramar. It was a route I had to cross. But BN,my friend! Not trying to win an argument.But yes,if you compare it 30 years back I'm sure there are tons of changes! Probably indeed declined comparatively,but 30 years back and Pembroke Pines was the Everglades! (Exageratin a bit)

Many places have obviously changed in that matter of time out of newer towns flourishing. I see where you coming from thru that perspective. But to say it went into the dumps!? Cmon! West Miramar is nicer but while the east is...(maybe the old Miramar) it shouldn't be categorized as a dump either!

Show me pictures of the dumps to agree! Maybe I'm missing a few spots! Or crime statistics to back that up. Central Hallandale/South Central Hollywood in the other hand for example,while a limited section, is..well, I don't want to call it a dump when actual human beings live there..but is "a bit" rough. OK well,rough!

Let's not scare prospective buyers who can be the solution to that decline,if it has head that way. They won't be unsafe while probably getting a great bargain for their money. Don't misunderstand me I'm not putting them in a ghetto to fix it.But is not the ghetto!

OP- Let's just say anything on the border with Miami Gardens are areas to be more careful with;and like previously stated,the 441 corridor..Which depending who you are,your budget and where you been are livable (in a humble way lol) accordingly on a block by block basis too.

A stigma doesn't necessarily translate into a reality. Is just a stigma to overcome unless is a current reality. Wynwood had a bad stigma,and look!
Don't you have a moral obligation to provide an accurate description of a place? That's a bit concerning that you think we should play it up to get prospective buyers in... I'd rather just describe it as it is. The thing with Wynwood, is everyone knows exactly what it is.... and a certain element appreciates that and wants to live there.

My description of Miramar tends to be fairly accurate when people ask. They can make the choice accordingly.

Old 03-13-2017, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I don't think that is absolutely true. Some neighborhoods were shabby and became gentrified, others were once nice but went downhill.

I no longer live in South Florida, but I still have many relatives there and I've seen neighborhoods change.

When I was a very small child in the early 1960's Miramar was a very nice place. My parents were considering buying a brand new home built by a developer in a tract called Miramar Isles (I think) ... spacious ranch houses with sunken living rooms, eat in kitchens, marble window sills, central air conditioned, patios ... a swimming pool for $2,900 extra. By the late '80's and the '90's I heard the area was sliding downhill ... some snobbish people I know said folks from Hialeah and Opa Locka were moving in (what's wrong with that? I lived in Opa Locka for two years after I graduated college!) Maybe that was a veiled ethnic and racial slur.

My parents did not buy in Miramar, because Mom had her heart set on someplace near the beach. We ended up in the South Lake neighborhood of Hollywood, which was only a mile from Hollywood Beach. Let me tell you: Hollywood was really, really nice back in those days. When my parents died in the late 1990's they were broken-hearted because they felt their city of Hollywood slid down hill. They were fond of Hollywood and were engaged in community activities and organizations; my Mom's favorite sister lived in Hollywood Hills. Personally I think Hollywood is still okay, but some people consider Hollywood a dump.

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest!
Your description is very accurate. Yes, the people from the less desirable areas of Miami started moving in (Miramar is on the border, as you know) and Miramar suffered white-flight. That still holds true today. I don't consider that some sort of racial issue, though. People tend to like being around those who are like themselves - and that goes for all groups. The problem was that it was a poorer, less educated crowd who came into Miramar and the city went down fast.

Hollywood is a large city that, some areas are certainly a dump (I lived right smack in the dumpy area for years) and some are gorgeous.

As for Miramar, it's still very much a non-white city. That hasn't changed. Hispanic and a large African-American presence. White buyers are most likely not going to be comfortable living in Miramar, even West Miramar. Consider that west Miramar schools have more Asian students than white students - and Broward isn't exactly known for our Asian communities. The area is certainly a magnet for affluent African American and Hispanic buyers, though.

Old 03-13-2017, 08:43 AM

139 posts, read 72,424 times
Quote:
Your description is very accurate. Yes, the people from the less desirable areas of Miami started moving in (Miramar is on the border, as you know) and Miramar suffered white-flight. That still holds true today. I don't consider that some sort of racial issue, though. People tend to like being around those who are like themselves - and that goes for all groups. The problem was that it was a poorer, less educated crowd who came into Miramar and the city went down fast.

Hollywood is a large city that, some areas are certainly a dump (I lived right smack in the dumpy area for years) and some are gorgeous.

As for Miramar, it's still very much a non-white city. That hasn't changed. Hispanic and a large African-American presence. White buyers are most likely not going to be comfortable living in Miramar, even West Miramar. Consider that west Miramar schools have more Asian students than white students - and Broward isn't exactly known for our Asian communities. The area is certainly a magnet for affluent African American and Hispanic buyers, though.
Oh I get it smh- so your problem with the area is the race and "White flight" and the fact that is a working class which is diverse and predominantly West Indian and Latino? And that makes it a dump?
Why does everything have to come down to race?The world we living.

Last edited by InternationalWaves; 03-13-2017 at 09:33 AM..

Old 03-13-2017, 12:48 PM

972 posts, read 884,883 times
It doesn't come down to race, it comes down to money--that's the world we live in and have always lived in. I went to college with a friend whose family lived in Miramar--her parents were blue collar first generation Americans; grandparents were from Italy. They had one of those small, modest homes on a decent - sized lot in east Miramar, east of University but west of 441. She was embarrassed to say she was from there but I couldn't understand why. In retrospect, and this is going back to the late 70's, Miramar was the boring middle-class suburban step-child to beachy Fort Lauderdale.

Fast forward 10 or so years and the boom happens in west Miramar. My manager at the time lived in Cooper City and I guess he and the family wanted new and huge and a bargain. I don't remember what he paid, but I do remember how proud he was to get a large, new house for what he considered was a reasonable price. He couldn't believe he was moving to, of all places, (west) Miramar.

Fast forward another 10 years and I was near my college friend's old neighborhood in east Miramar and thought I would take a slight detour and drive by. It was heart breaking. No landscaping, run-down, just plain sad. Either no pride of ownership or no money for upkeep.

Fast forward another 5 or so years and my now former manager moves on.

West Miramar has always been considered to be the most affordable, but least desirable in terms of reputation and location compared to the other extreme west 'burbs of Pembroke Pines, Davie and Weston. Pembroke Pines could have easily become Miramar part 2 but they built some nice shopping and retail along their corridors along with some nice parks. But even Pembroke Pines has it's share of detractors, with many saying stay as far west as I75. So there's also an east/west split of opinions on that city.

Old 03-13-2017, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Oh I get it smh- so your problem with the area is the race and "White flight" and the fact that is a working class which is diverse and predominantly West Indian and Latino? And that makes it a dump?
Politically correct much? The realities are what they are. Whether you agree or not with the reasons people give is irrelevant. White buyers are generally not going to be comfortable in Miramar. And yes, a poorer, less educated, more diverse demographic migrated to the city decades ago. The city absolutely declined - whether you like it or not - and that stigma holds today.

As I clearly said, west Miramar is quite affluent and nice even though it has an almost non-existent white population. Shocking, right? You mean African-Americans aren't all poor? Yup. Maybe it's YOU who has racial prejudice? African-American and Hispanic buyers are more likely to feel comfortable with their purchase there. What is so offensive about that?

Again, it doesn't change the fact that Miramar is still often viewed negatively by many people who have live in the area.

I think Wizrap hits it on the head. I grew up dating a girl from Miramar through half of my teenage years.... just east of Univeristy, who attended the schools there. It is what it is.

Old 03-20-2017, 03:49 PM

3,855 posts, read 7,675,331 times
White Flight is more of an economic phenomenon than racial. And I think that is how he meant it, in economic terms. There is no denying the reality of this in many Broward County cities, and in many cities around the country.

The same phenomenon happened to East Miramar as what happened to East Pembroke Pines, Margate, west Deerfield Beach, and big chunks of Hollywood. The middle class whites who predominantly inhabited these neighborhoods in the 50's and 60's began moving out as they built bigger, better, newer neighborhoods further west and north. They were replaced by a less well off socioeconomic demographic, who happened to consist of minorities predominantly.

West Miramar looks pretty nice and has lots of newer homes. The problem is for $500k you can buy homes in more desirable cities like Weston and Coral Springs. There is no compelling reason to choose West Miramar which lacks any shopping and is so far west, unless the prices are reduced relatively speaking.

Old 03-21-2017, 11:09 PM

577 posts, read 562,443 times
Quote:

Yes. Basically to BNBR if it's not all white it's not right. I caught that connotation in his earlier posts. West Miramar is far from disenfranchised. But it is mixed with different ethnic groups which I personally rather live with rather than all white. That is what Davie is for. Redneck city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area