Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 07:17 PM

5 posts, read 4,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
When you are looking into communities, there are Mandatory and Non-Mandatory communities.

If its Mandatory, its best to find one that has a higher refundable initiation fee with lower monthly HOAs vs a lower initiation non-refundable fee and higher payments.

Also, some communities might not have a mandatory golf, but just a mandatory social membership where you pay a small fee upfront and then are required to spend so much at the restaurant each month.
Do you know which communities are Mandatory and Non-Mandatory golf in Parkland? Can you give some estimates of what a "lower monthly HOA" would be vs. a "higher monthly HOA"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
Yes, you can join other communities if you don't live there, as long as there is space for new members.

If you don't live in a golf community, then its best to find one you like and join that. Otherwise, Florida (especially South Florida) has a ton of golf courses so you'll have lots of options to choose from.

Golf/Country Club Memberships run anywhere from $20k-$200k (small community vs like a Trump/Ritz Carlton type club in a place like Jupiter). I would budget $50k (either refundable or non-refundable) for a nice country club community.

Heck, there is a community in Boca (Boca West) where the condo is basically free and you just pay the $85k or so to join the club ($70k Equity, $12k+ Social). The 2/2 condo itself is only like $10k!
Thanks! I am assuming that 50K I would budget would be just a one-time initiation right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2017, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSmart View Post
Then we moved to Heron Bay, Parkland. What a difference. Beautiful tennis courts, always available, although the community is quite large, super-easy online reservation system, best of all, included in the HOA fee. On top of it, the junior tennis program is amazing. It is run by a couple, the nicest people, classes are small, and the kids are your neighbors from the community, which is a plus, if you want the kids to make friends. Very reasonable cost, $120/month for one hour a week group lessons. The coaches run their business like they care about their image, vs. coaches who are just hired off the street and paid by the hour. My son loved it there.

Parkland Golf and CC has very nice tennis courts too. I've only visited, not played there though.

I've always wondered why the large communities in Weston like Savanna or The Ridges don't have their own tennis courts. It's not like they wouldn't have had the room to build them. It must have been some sort of conspiracy, otherwise how would Midtown get away with charging those crazy membership fees?!

BTW, if you want an opinion on public schools, since you have small children, I've found the schools in Parkland better than the ones in Weston (sorry, Westonites!). And I've dealt with both elementary and middle. (Can't speak for high schools). But that would be a whole other topic and thread.
Thanks for all of this! Can you share what the HOA is at Heron Bay that includes tennis? That 120/month for weekly 1 hr lessons for kids sounds very reasonable. What is the youngest they start?

Do you know of any men's leagues in Heron Bay or Parkland in general? I am a 4.0 (4.5 when I can get out on the court on a more regular basis, which I hope to do once I am in the warm weather).

Old 04-03-2017, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSmart View Post
Forgot to add, Heron Bay golf is separate from the Heron Bay HOA (which includes tennis and two clubhouses with pools and gyms).
OK thanks, disregard my question from before. I didn't see this. Do you happen to know how much golf increases HOA? What about initiation?

Old 04-03-2017, 11:10 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,793,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnionCollegeCouple View Post
Cool! Yes my wife and I met at Union. I graduated 2003, she in 2004. We should start a Parkland alumni group and go watch the hockey games!
We both graduated in '92

Old 04-03-2017, 11:38 PM

24 posts, read 23,149 times
I'm not sure what age they start tennis for kids, but I know there were 5 year olds taking classes.
They do have men's and women's leagues at Heron Bay, they are very active (and a super nice bunch of people!!)
You can get more info here:
Heron Bay Commons

I do not know about golf membership, you'd have to call the club.

Old 04-04-2017, 07:37 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,793,522 times
Quote:
Cool! Yes my wife and I met at Union. I graduated 2003, she in 2004. We should start a Parkland alumni group and go watch the hockey games!
By the way if you like to watch hockey, just 15-20 min South of Parkland, we have the BB&T Center - home of Florida Panthers.

Old 04-04-2017, 07:50 AM

2,128 posts, read 2,333,352 times
Quote:
Thanks! I am assuming that 50K I would budget would be just a one-time initiation right?
Yes, a 1-time fee. Remember to find out if its Equity or Non-Equity so you know if you are able to get it back when you move. If its low, assume its non-equity:

"The other difference between the equity and non-equity membership structures relates to the handling of the membership fee (deposit) upon resignation. In the case of the Equity model, the entire membership fee, or a portion thereof, is refundable upon resignation from the club. In some cases tenure dictates the percentage a member receives upon resignation. The typical program provides for 100% of the initial deposit to be refunded minus a transfer fee. In most cases, the transfer fee is generally in the neighborhood of 10% to 20% of the original fee paid. In other words, if a member paid $20,000 for the membership, he would receive $16,000 or $18,000 upon resignation. If the membership fee has appreciated in value, the Equity member benefits from that appreciation. However, if there are no new members waiting in the wings, the member may have to wait for his refund unless the club is willing to buy it back and reimburse the member immediately. The Non-Equity model traditionally was a non-refundable program but has evolved in recent years to provide for a percentage of the initial deposit to be refunded, similar to the equity program. However, any appreciation realized at the time of resignation typically goes to the benefit of the club and/or its owner(s)."

Old 04-04-2017, 07:52 AM

2,128 posts, read 2,333,352 times
Quote:
Do you know which communities are Mandatory and Non-Mandatory golf in Parkland?
Hire yourself a good agent that knows clubs, Parkland, and memberships. Then instruct them what you are looking for and not looking for and they will answer all your questions and help you avoid wasting time on clubs /neighborhoods that don't appeal to you or fit your criteria. Usually you can read their reviews on sites like Realtor dot com and Zillow dot com and once you find 2-3 you like, then google them even further to see their scope of business & knowledge.

There's no cost to use a buyer's agent so let them do all the leg work so you can just see houses in your free time. Its much easier that way, especially in S. Florida :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area