U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 03:53 PM

196 posts, read 73,639 times

Advertisements

Marc is right to tell his clients that turn signals are a bad idea here. Finally, a legitimate and honest real estate agent!!

No, driving recklessly and dangerously is not a good thing to do, but it's the prime way of life down here. You either adapt, or you end up in a crunched pile of metal on the shoulder of 95.

South Florida is infested with bad drivers no matter where you live. David, Weston, Parkland, Hialeah, Miami, West Palm Beach, Delray Beach, Lauderdale by the Sea, Doral, doesn't matter where you are, get some good auto insurance if you plan to move here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2017, 07:03 PM

392 posts, read 135,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whereitwent View Post
Marc is right to tell his clients that turn signals are a bad idea here. Finally, a legitimate and honest real estate agent!!
Lol, thanks. That's what most of my clients like about me. I don't have much of a filter :-)

Probably why I couldn't climb the rungs of a corporate ladder ;-)

But to your point, yes you adapt or you need to stay out of everyone else's way. Its hard at times, you want to 'show this guy' or 'I'm gonna teach him not to do that again', etc. Or 'Brake-Check' someone only to see them flee the scene and your left with a ruined carfax report and no car for 3-4 days.

If you need to get over and you see me coming, just cut me off and get out of the way and go where you need to go and everyone moves on with their life.

Old 04-14-2017, 06:42 PM

69 posts, read 42,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
Its hard at times, you want to 'show this guy' or 'I'm gonna teach him not to do that again', etc. Or 'Brake-Check' someone only to see them flee the scene and your left with a ruined carfax report and no car for 3-4 days.
...Or worse, they remain on scene, show the officer their dash-cam footage of you committing aggravated battery with a deadly weapon (your car), and you being hauled away on a felony charge of up to a 15-year prison term with damning evidence.

Old 04-16-2017, 06:35 AM

3,673 posts, read 7,147,514 times
One driving pattern that really bothers- when a car turns right from the middle lane at a major intersection. This happens frequently in Miami, but is becoming more prevalent in Broward. It is extremely dangerous. There is no way that the driver turning right can know that the cars he is cutting off in the right lane will remain stopped.

Old 04-16-2017, 08:04 AM

my main issue are the slow people in the left lane on 95, sometimes as many as three cars driving parallel to each other. I've had to swing over four lanes to the far right lane then return four lanes to the far left lane to pass these magnetized clumps of traffic that seem to just form randomly. A lot of people here seem to get caught on slow drivers, I just find any way to pass.

Old 04-16-2017, 08:55 AM

830 posts, read 692,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whereitwent View Post
my main issue are the slow people in the left lane on 95, sometimes as many as three cars driving parallel to each other. I've had to swing over four lanes to the far right lane then return four lanes to the far left lane to pass these magnetized clumps of traffic that seem to just form randomly. A lot of people here seem to get caught on slow drivers, I just find any way to pass.
Totally agree. I just got back from SFL seeing clients & I couldn't get over how often I encountered this traffic pattern. You also see people driving 45/50 mph or less -- to be honest, I even think that's nuts in the slow lane. Why not take 441 or US 1 even with the stoplights if you're going to drive that slow. Many times I look to see what kind of idiot is driving that slow on the interstate & they seem to have one thing in common, male or female, old or young--they are on their cell. If you're going to talk/text & drive, pull off the road.

Old 04-16-2017, 09:57 AM

23 posts, read 10,567 times
I have driven all over the country in my life and by far, Fl has the absolute worst drivers I have ever seen.
Rudeness, recklessness, and cluelessness? Off the charts. Speeding, at least 20 over the limit, and dangerous tailgating (even when everying is going the same speed) is mandatory. Multiple lane changes in one move are normal, as is running stop signs and red lights (and I'm not referring to rolling stops-talking about all-out blasting through them). Once I watched 11 cars in two left turn lanes at an intersection make the turn after the light turned red. I guess the mentality is that they should only have to wait for one red cycle. Wow.
80-90 on the interstate while texting, quite common.
Since you are a cyclist, I won't get into all the things I see your group do.
Sadly, this is just the way it is in Fl., not just your area. All this is the reason why the insurance rates are sky high and lawyers are doing a booming business. And I saw recently on the news that Fl ranks number one in road rage incidents involving guns. Go figure.

Old 04-16-2017, 11:40 AM

I think the problem is that people moving here expect that they can apply the way they drive wherever they came from, and still arrive in one piece. Wrong!! Nobody will let you in here, there is no common courtesy, etc etc....

Multiple lane changes in one move are perfectly fine!! What is not fine is taking 7 miles to switch one lane. Here, you have to just put on your turn signal and floor it into the next lane. Nobody is going to let you in here.

Running through stop signs is against the law, yes, but admittedly there are some very odd areas here where there are far too many stop signs in a single stretch, slowing down traffic to barely moving at all. In other areas, stop signs seem to be placed without any rhyme or reason in totally random places. Most stop signs should be replaced here with "Yield" signs. Coming to a complete stop over and over again is not effiecient or good by any stretch of the mind.

As for waiting for one light cycle, yes, that's the way it's supposed to be. Any civil engineer with half a brain would tell you that if a light is holding up traffic for two or more cycles, it is likely not synchronized correctly, or shoddy public workmanship.

Old 04-16-2017, 02:27 PM

23 posts, read 10,567 times
Funny how everyone has a reason why a particular traffic law is wrong and there to be ignored. Those who choose to seriously violate traffic laws have no room to complain if someone else plows into them while violating a law they don't like. Geez. Can't have it both ways. 30k people a year die, hundreds of thousands injured a year, tons of lawsuits, skyrocketing insurance costs, etc etc. People will debate driving till the end of time.

Old 04-16-2017, 07:32 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,855,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
One driving pattern that really bothers- when a car turns right from the middle lane at a major intersection. This happens frequently in Miami, but is becoming more prevalent in Broward. It is extremely dangerous. There is no way that the driver turning right can know that the cars he is cutting off in the right lane will remain stopped.
I used to see this in NYC all the time, when I lived there... although this maneuver was mostly performed by the cabbies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area