Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 12:43 PM

1,049 posts, read 949,027 times

Advertisements

Miami is not that affordable for retirees anymore, it's a big city with high property values. The property taxes are pretty much inline with the values, this isn't like 10 years ago, a couple years ago they had to completely redo the valuation procedures. Miami is a valuable city, period. It's the gateway to Latin America.

Las Vegas is probably just fine for you, you get what you pay for essentially. It's an affordable area with nice climate. The drawback is you live in a medium-sized city in the middle of the desert far from anything else of interest. But the city itself offers much in terms of entertainment, so you should be happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2017, 06:36 PM

2,805 posts, read 3,234,522 times
There is always a few sniveling cry babies who think because they made the wrong choices in life, thus cannot afford to live somewhere wonderful, that no one else should want to live there either, well from my point of view, living in Fort Lauderdale is living in paradise, YMMV but I got tired of the cold winters around 34 years ago and never regretted it and would never go back. I am sure there are other wonderful places to live too but sometimes a person has to pay a little more to live in paradise and if south Florida was not a paradise, then soooooo many people would not be moving there and staying there. Right now I am in Cebu, Philippines and cannot wait to get back to our condo in Fort Lauderdale next month, yet many men think this place is paradise, different strokes for different folks.

Anyway, the low shopping prices, low cost of electric and no need for heating, etc. more than make up for the property taxes, my wife and I find that living in south Florida is very reasonable when all things are taken into account.

Old 04-19-2017, 07:12 PM

347 posts, read 509,628 times
Completely wrong Mr Lee. I retired 15 years ago at 42 and live mortgage free in a house now worth 500k. Justifying the cost is different to not being able to afford it. This is the reason I am rich and people like you who overpay will end up poor.

Old 04-19-2017, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisSuarez View Post
Completely wrong Mr Lee. I retired 15 years ago at 42 and live mortgage free in a house now worth 500k. Justifying the cost is different to not being able to afford it. This is the reason I am rich and people like you who overpay will end up poor.
If you say so, keep on crying and thinking that, while I enjoy my life. I also live mortgage free in a condo worth more than what you claim your home is worth and I am happy to pay taxes for the services we receive.

BTW, people who brag they are rich are most often full of it but keep looking in the mirror and typing it on this forum trying to convenience yourself. Retired at 42, probably on disability, I retired at 53 on two pensions and a self directed pension but keep up your delusional thoughts.

Old 04-20-2017, 09:53 AM

1,049 posts, read 949,027 times
I think that post was deleted...Either way very strange, the Philippines are nowhere near North Korea, not sure where he/she got that from lol. Also, even though it's a 3rd world country I doubt it's any more dangerous or dirty than some places in South America.

That's one of the things about South Florida, if you like to frequently travel to the Caribbean or South America, Miami is the perfect place to live. Considering the proximity to these places, and Miami itself, I'd say the taxes aren't all that bad.

Also, there's no state income tax and our sales taxes are lower than most, so I'd say the property taxes are fair. Also, keep in mind the property taxes vary considerable by county and municipality. Overall, I'd say taxes have a minimal effect on the state of housing in Miami.

Old 04-20-2017, 11:07 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,775,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
If you say so, keep on crying and thinking that, while I enjoy my life. I also live mortgage free in a condo worth more than what you claim your home is worth and I am happy to pay taxes for the services we receive.

BTW, people who brag they are rich are most often full of it but keep looking in the mirror and typing it on this forum trying to convenience yourself. Retired at 42, probably on disability, I retired at 53 on two pensions and a self directed pension but keep up your delusional thoughts.
Probably the cognitive dissonance disability

Old 04-20-2017, 11:21 AM

347 posts, read 509,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post

Condo lol lucky your wife is happy with mediocrity . I am not rich but could easily buy a house in South Florida. Paying $10k taxes and 5k insurance would take away the joy of living there.
With sea level rises a lot of boats will not be able to get under the bridges very soon tanking waterfront housing and a lot of the owners selling now are pessimists with the properties being bought by optimists.
When you come to the realization that you was not that smart and your building goes underwater Las Vegas will be out of your price range.

And to say the only way someone could retire 11 years before you must be on disability is a childish and discriminatory statement.

Old 04-20-2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Condo lol lucky your wife is happy with mediocrity . I am not rich but could easily buy a house in South Florida. Paying $10k taxes and 5k insurance would take away the joy of living there.
Wait, in the other post you said you were rich and now you stated that you are not rich, which is it, oh it is alright, you cannot remember your lies from past to present posts, that is what happens when people lie too often.

Quote:
With sea level rises a lot of boats will not be able to get under the bridges very soon tanking waterfront housing and a lot of the owners selling now are pessimists with the properties being bought by optimists.
When you come to the realization that you was not that smart and your building goes underwater Las Vegas will be out of your price range.
Great English and you are trying to teach us something, you probably never even finished high school.

So now you are a not only property expert but also an expert on rising seas, well I am too old to worry about rising seas in my lifetime and do not care if property prices go up or down as our place is paid for and I am getting my enjoyment out of living there, you on the other hand will die from worrying about the small stuff, life can be hard enough without people like you trying to make false statements.

Quote:
And to say the only way someone could retire 11 years before you must be on disability is a childish and discriminatory statement.
But likely a true statement or you would not be bitching about something so trivial as property taxes.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:42 AM

5,013 posts, read 7,386,450 times
Quote:
Now that property prices are returning to their previous highs, Insane property taxes are starting to kick in. I pay $2800 a year on a 300k property in las vegas . Looking at $500k properties in Miami/Fort Lauderdale the taxes are close to $10k This is obviously having a major effect on the affordability of these areas.
It's been years since South Florida was a place for people looking for "affordable".
Stay in Vegas.

Old 04-21-2017, 01:04 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,601,537 times
Quote:

I'm confused. Are you rich or not? Previous post says "people like me are rich" and now this one says "I am not rich" - this is important stuff, you know. I don't know many rich people, or even well off people, complaining about $10k/yr in property taxes.... That's what, $800/mo? You could pay that working at McDonalds.

And yes, you apparently caught the recent fake news article talking about how boats won't be able to get out soon (because raising a bridge is impossible).... This is too funny.

As for your taxes, nobody cares. You pay a lot less in taxes for a variety of reasons in Las Vegas. One of those reasons is that it's not a desirable place to live compared to South Florida. There is lots of places all over the country that are wildly affordable with low property values and low tax rates. Big deal. Your $300k house is on the low end of what people are willing to pay just to live here...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area