U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 07:18 PM

332 posts, read 335,063 times

Advertisements

I am rich enough to retire but not rich enough to waste money on rip off property taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2017, 07:24 PM

1,871 posts, read 927,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisSuarez View Post
I am rich enough to retire but not rich enough to waste money on rip off property taxes.
Yes, I'm sure you are....

Old 04-21-2017, 07:30 PM

332 posts, read 335,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
Yes, I'm sure you are....
JESUS CHRIST why is it so unbelievable that someone is frugal with their money. Spend and work. Or don't spend and relax you choose.

Old 04-21-2017, 09:13 PM

1,781 posts, read 1,664,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisSuarez View Post
JESUS CHRIST why is it so unbelievable that someone is frugal with their money. Spend and work. Or don't spend and relax you choose.
Because you have lost all credibility by posting that you are rich and then posting that you are not rich, it cannot be both ways, and besides, REAL rich people do not worry about property taxes, so we all already know which of the two is correct... If you are going to try to be someone that you are not, then at least keep your story the same.

I am far from rich when compared to many in South Florida but I have never even once given property taxes a thought, they are just the cost of ownership, I sure as heck would not move to Las Vegas just to save on property taxes but I wish you luck there and hope you will not go thirsty anytime soon.

Also property taxes in Florida are not that bad when compared to other major cities, Las Vegas is different because they use the gambling money profits to cover their taxes but along with that comes other issue such as lack of water supplies. Las Vegas Going Dry? Largest Reservoir In America Reaches Record Low
Quote:
Las Vegas was first settled for its springs, springs that made it an oasis in the desert. Although those springs have decades since run dry, water is still the most import resource to Las Vegas and the dry Southwest.
MORE: https://lasvegassun.com/news/topics/water/
So I hope you can drink your savings on property taxes, there is a reason they have good deals on homes there. No place is perfect, it only has to be perfect for those of us who live in those areas, for you Las Vegas is perfect, for us south Florida is, neither one of us has to be correct for the other one, we only have to be happy where we are.

Last edited by Mr. Lee; 04-21-2017 at 09:22 PM..

Old 04-24-2017, 02:22 AM

575 posts, read 1,627,330 times
There are pros and cons to living in Las Vegas. Like California and Florida, Southern Nevada real estate is going up and up and up. It is a no income tax state.

Real estate rental pricing and home values are high and seem to be about in the same ball park when comparing Las Vegas to South Florida.

Contrary to Mr. Lee's searching, Las Vegas is not going to shrivel up and blow away. Nor is it likely that the valley will die of thirst. (Although if Calexit occurs, it's pretty much a lock that Las Vegas will NOT be losing out on water rights. It's more likely that the country of California would be fending for itself and probably would have to build a significant amount of reverse osmosis plants to sustain their current population. I wish them luck with that.)

Old 04-24-2017, 06:26 AM

1,781 posts, read 1,664,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe2ofus View Post
Contrary to Mr. Lee's searching, Las Vegas is not going to shrivel up and blow away. Nor is it likely that the valley will die of thirst.
I just go by what I read, I sure hope what you say is true for all of those who live in Las Vegas.

Quote:
Feds see 2018 shortage in Lake Mead water supply
Amid punishing drought, federal water managers are projecting _ by a very narrow margin_ that Lake Mead won't have enough water to make full deliveries to Nevada and Arizona in 2018
Quote:
Water Shortage Reaching Critical Stage
LAS VEGAS -- Drought conditions have drained Lake Mead to near critical levels, and a rush of water from Lake Powell may not be as much as normal.

Before water used by the Las Vegas valley gets to Lake Mead, it goes to Lake Powell on the Utah/Arizona border. However, federal officials are expected to announce next week that Lake Powell has much less water to give Nevada.
Now back to Fort Lauderdale, no water shortage here, I guess our high taxes may not be such a bad thing when compared to possibly going thirsty at some point in the future.

Old 04-24-2017, 12:28 PM

575 posts, read 1,627,330 times
Yes, there has been a drought in the west for several years that affected the Lake Mead water levels.
No, Las Vegas will not be "going thirsty" & has not been under severe water restrictions for household use, as California has been for the last several years. Like Florida, lawn watering restrictions are in place.

In the same vein, many could point to the recent news articles of severe sea level rise, threatening the Florida coast. Are you freaked about that? Probably not.

In my last post, I meant to post desalination plants, not reverse osmosis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area