Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 01:00 PM

7 posts, read 13,273 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Ft. Lauderdale this summer from Southern MD and want to learn more about where the safest neighborhoods are to live, best employers, want to rent an apartment to start <$1500 if possible. Divorced African American female, college educated w/no children or pets. Long term resident of MD but now ready to move despite the beauty of the DC metropolitan area. I have always been told that the DC area is the best place to live but I am ready for a change of scenery as I have done all that I am going to do here, so any advice from anyone would be greatly welcomed! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2017, 02:07 PM

21 posts, read 21,577 times
Could find a spot in Wilton Manors possibly downtown Fort Lauderdale. Both relatively safe.

Old 04-24-2017, 02:20 PM

1,049 posts, read 948,685 times
If you're just looking for a 1 bedroom apartment you should be able to find quite a few options available in decent areas for that price range. It all depends on what you're looking for, do you want to be close to the nighlife, more urban areas? Or do you prefer more suburban?

Some other options are Lake Ridge, Downtown Hollywood (Young Circle).

Btw, it's very different down here from the DC area. I lived there for most of my childhood and adolescence and it will take some adjusting. But I'm sure you'll love it.

Old 04-24-2017, 03:52 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,773,961 times
Moving with or without a job?

Old 04-25-2017, 04:42 AM

Thank you for the information, I will research Wilton Manors and other areas in proximity to the Ft. Lauderdale area.

Old 04-25-2017, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrongStreet View Post
If you're just looking for a 1 bedroom apartment you should be able to find quite a few options available in decent areas for that price range. It all depends on what you're looking for, do you want to be close to the nighlife, more urban areas? Or do you prefer more suburban?

Some other options are Lake Ridge, Downtown Hollywood (Young Circle).

Btw, it's very different down here from the DC area. I lived there for most of my childhood and adolescence and it will take some adjusting. But I'm sure you'll love it.

I prefer a more suburban area but do enjoy the hustle and bustle of downtown Fort Lauderdale, so I am open to living downtown. I have been there more than once during the years and realized that I enjoyed the ocean view/beaches, the tourist aspect of being there, and surrounding areas in close proximity to the Fort Lauderdale area.

Old 04-25-2017, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
Moving with or without a job?
Currently looking and applying online for jobs in the local Fort Lauderdale area and should be able to secure a position soon and hopefully by the end of the summer so that I can enjoy FL weather again. It is not a good idea to relocate there or anywhere without employment and living in hotels can become expensive.

Old 05-07-2017, 04:36 PM

51 posts, read 81,625 times
The best place to start is to use our sticky post where it displays a radar type map of all the areas in Broward. Then use an app called Hotpads to search for listings. Once you have found a place based on your budget of course, Google map this using the map with the radar to determine it's safe zone.

Tip: Nowadays most landlords are asking for at least 3 months rent (i.e) security, first and last month. So before making the trip you need to have this in the bank to even consider moving. The job situation will scare off a lot of Landlords, so make sure you land a job first and get a letter of intent or something. Any questions, don't hesitate to post it here.

Old 05-07-2017, 07:21 PM

2,805 posts, read 3,233,769 times
Downtown Fort Lauderdale the Las Olas area is great for singles and safe, plenty of apartments in that price range in that zip code that might be of interest to you.
33301 Apartments for Rent - realtor.com®
Many landlords in this area will require you have a job first, otherwise some may require heavy deposits, maybe ask when inquiring so you do not fall in love with a place that you may not be able to rent.

Wilton Manners is nice but mostly gay, so I just thought you should be aware of that if you decide to move there. West Davie and Weston are nice.

Old 05-10-2017, 11:45 PM

165 posts, read 562,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1K79 View Post
I am moving to Ft. Lauderdale this summer from Southern MD and want to learn more about where the safest neighborhoods are to live, best employers, want to rent an apartment to start <$1500 if possible. Divorced African American female, college educated w/no children or pets. Long term resident of MD but now ready to move despite the beauty of the DC metropolitan area. I have always been told that the DC area is the best place to live but I am ready for a change of scenery as I have done all that I am going to do here, so any advice from anyone would be greatly welcomed! Thanks!
I lived in Montgomery County, MD for 10 years before moving to FL. Same background as you...also needed a change but I still like DC for the diversity of people, museum and theater offerings and just the overall worldliness of the people. Previously worked for the federal government and secured a position at an academic institution AFTER making the move to FL.

I have lived in Plantation, Pompano Beach and Oakland Park. I like to stay in a decent proximity to the Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood airport for ease of travel. One bedroom apartment rents in Plantation and Pompano Beach on US1 ran in the $1400 a month range for a nice building with amenities. Now leasing a one bedroom condo for $1150 in the border area of North Fort Lauderdale and Oakland Park to be close to work. Down here to lease from an owner requires deposit, first, last months to get in. Apartments run about $500 for the deposits excluding fees for pets.

There is no state income tax in FL however my cost for car insurance almost doubled compared to MD. South FL appears to be the fraud capital of the country which drives up the costs of insurance. All drivers must have PIP coverage which is not required in MD. Broward only has bus service--no light rail or underground subway like the DC area. You will almost certainly have to drive or Uber/Lyft everywhere.

I used Atlas to move my belongings and the costs for a one bedroom place came to around $2800. No issues with the movers and nothing was broken.

The beaches are what make FL what it is. Besides the main tourist frequented beaches, there are smaller more local scenes like Dania Beach that are fairly easy to reach with reasonable parking. I like Hollywood the best for its "broadwalk" as it is known. The FTL beach and seawall have been recently restored after severe damage from Sandy and is nice for a walk at night when it's not crowded. Recently there was a seafood festival at Pompano Beach and the air show in FTL. There is a big boat or rather yacht show every year along with many other things to see and do in FTL.

I was able to catch the Alvin Ailey Dance Company at the Arscht in Miami in Feb. They have other contemporary and ballet dance offerings at the Arscht and Broward Center for Performing Arts. There is a big jazz festival every year in Miami Gardens plus of course sports teams in Miami.

Lastly you will be close to the Caribbean and able to travel by plane or ship at a fairly decent cost to the islands. I've been to three different islands in The Bahamas 5 times since my move down here just over two years ago. I am into snorkeling and paddle board which is big down here.

I know I've written alot here but I just wanted to offer my perspective and experiences thus far as a person that made the move from MD. BTW...there is no real fall/winter season here so you'll need to pare down the boots, sweaters, and scarves!

C.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area