Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 09:20 AM

5,014 posts, read 7,388,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudship View Post
it just lacks compared to what I have seen elsewhere. Even the independent restaurants aren't all that great, and certainly not authentic. Retail is the same stuff you can find at any other gift shop up and down the coast, and there are practically no museums or attractions. Even worse, with all your expanse of waterways, it is so inaccessible. Riverwalk only goes a short ways and is behind everything. That should be the center of life.

I think the overall problem is a cultural thing - Florida is for the rich who can afford it. If you can't change a whole lot about what you have to offer, I think you might be better off going after different markets instead.
They bulldozed over what made Ft Lauderdale unique and interesting.
It's been years since it had character - well I guess there's still some charcter.

Museums and attractions don't make the politicians rich - high rises do.
The developers keep greasing the hands of the politicians and the story continues.
Unfortuantely.

Last edited by cfbs2691; 05-03-2017 at 09:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2017, 11:57 AM

196 posts, read 157,855 times
The lack of real attractions - I.E., theme parks on the level of Disney, unique sights, etc. The beach is one I suppose, but the entire state is bordered with beaches, so it's not really a plus, especially when the sand quality is outright garbage compared to Siesta or Amelia Island.

Old 05-05-2017, 02:46 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,071,684 times
I use to live in South Florida > Miami area. I had a lot of friends that lived in Fort Lauderdale and love it. It has more of that less glamorized laid back feel than Miami Beach, but I am not sure how they market or separate their brand to people internationally or out of state. If I want to vacation in South Florida, I want to feel the authentic Miami Beach culture. Art Deco, clubs, and beautiful beaches. I live in Tampa now. Honestly if I do a beach vacation it will be in Miami Beach or if I want a laid back one, the Florida Keys or Florida West Coast beaches like Sarasota beaches.

Old 05-06-2017, 05:02 AM

35,309 posts, read 51,996,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Actually it isn't.......expensive bland food and they essentially put a retail store in the restaurant so you can peruse overpriced bowling shirts while waiting for a table.
Is it like Cracker Barrel?

Old 05-08-2017, 07:18 PM

440 posts, read 513,728 times
Default No Attractions Because of Mayor Seiler

Some time back the City of Fort Lauderdale was looking into expanding the Swimming Museum Hall of Fame, which you wouldn't exactly call a star attraction for most tourists, especially for those with children because, hey, who wants to pay to take the kids to go see a swimming pool? So I contacted Mayor Seiler, the current Mayor of Fort Lauderdale, and suggested that instead of expanding the museum, that the City look into adding on or building an aquarium complex at the site as I think an aquarium full of the Fort Lauderdale area sea life you could go to see safely without the expense nor the fear of being bitten by a shark, which happens in Florida ocean waters more often than anywhere else in the world, would be a big draw for tourists and locals alike since there is not aquarium anywhere in this area of South Florida except for a small one in Key West where kids can pet a shark.

I was thinking that not only would it generate more revenue for the city with people paying fees to go to the aquarium, the city would also make additional revenue from the parking fees people would pay to go visit the aquarium since there is no such thing as free parking on Fort Lauderdale Beach. In addition, more jobs would be created at an aquarium than building an addition onto the Swimming Hall of Fame, which hardly anyone goes to so there's not much need for many employees to run that place.

Well, as so happens with politicians in this area who don't seem to know how to run cities like the businesses that they are, the Mayor decided to go ahead with the building the addition onto the Swimming Hall of Fame at taxpayer expense without offering anything back to the taxpayers except for another mostly empty, uninteresting place for the City of Fort Lauderdale to keep pouring money into without getting a profit nor job creation in return.

Old 05-09-2017, 06:28 PM

311 posts, read 443,719 times
There is the Miami Seaquarium, although I don't know how nice that is because I have not been there in close to 50 years.

I agree that an aquarium, done right, would be a great addition to the area.

I don't know how much money the Swimming Hall of Fame brings in (or loses), but its true value is not in its gate fees but in how many people it brings to the area. High Skool and college swim teams from all over, both US and abroad, come to SoFla to learn and compete. This adds greatly to lodging and restaurant's bottom line. I hope they have some kind of idea how to figure out that number.

Old 05-15-2017, 04:12 PM

571 posts, read 556,382 times
What about making it easy for those tourists to actually get to Las Olas in the first place? There's the water taxi, sure. But it is still hard to find for tourists staying on the beach who don't know where to look, and it takes forever to get over there. Beach hotels (where most of your spending tourists are going to want to stay) charge a fortune for parking and again it is such a hassle just to get your car you don't bother unless you have some place specific you want to go. I know it is terribly untrendy for a place like Florida but really some kind of decent transportation option, even if it is just a tourist bus but better than that trolley looking bus they have and visible, connecting the waterfront and Las Olas would probably do wonders.

Old 05-15-2017, 11:51 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,603,650 times
Quote:
What about making it easy for those tourists to actually get to Las Olas in the first place? There's the water taxi, sure. But it is still hard to find for tourists staying on the beach who don't know where to look, and it takes forever to get over there. Beach hotels (where most of your spending tourists are going to want to stay) charge a fortune for parking and again it is such a hassle just to get your car you don't bother unless you have some place specific you want to go. I know it is terribly untrendy for a place like Florida but really some kind of decent transportation option, even if it is just a tourist bus but better than that trolley looking bus they have and visible, connecting the waterfront and Las Olas would probably do wonders.
Apparently you haven't heard of "Uber" - Google it.

Old 05-16-2017, 09:23 AM

571 posts, read 556,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
Apparently you haven't heard of "Uber" - Google it.
I think you are missing the easy, visible part of the transportation element. Not to mention price. think a family of five is going to Uber or Lyft everywhere they want to go?

Old 05-16-2017, 09:29 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,603,650 times
Quote:
I think you are missing the easy, visible part of the transportation element. Not to mention price. think a family of five is going to Uber or Lyft everywhere they want to go?
Yes. It's cheap enough to bounce around town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area