U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2017, 07:28 PM
l22 l22 started this thread

30 posts, read 14,762 times

Advertisements

I've lived here 4 years now and came from up north. I was 23 when I came now I'm 27. I moved down because my parents who I lived with after I graduated college were moving down here (to Lauderdale-by-the-sea). Is it just me or is there nothing for millenials to do in Broward County? Every bar I go to has older people - mostly seniors and every date I've been on the woman has not been in her 20s lol - she's normally 30-45ish.... And.... every girl down here in her 20s appears to already have a kid, which I'm definitely not interested in lol - and she had the kid when she was like 17! It seems like the dating scene down here is the worst in the world and meeting people who aren't materialistic douchebags is tough. Is it just me or are there any other millenials down here who feel like South Florida provides them with nothing lol. I feel like I just don't fit in down here. Just wondering if it's just me lol. I don't think it is.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2017, 09:30 PM

1,871 posts, read 919,883 times
You won't like my response, but honestly, it's you.

I had no trouble dating girls my age, if not younger. And there is a ton of bars and places to go with young crowds. The population of South Florida is larger than nearly half the countries in the world. If you can't find any young people or nice girls, it's you. Change up your approach.

I'm a millennial and couldn't be happier here, I certainly don't hang out with old people all day and visit plenty of bars (I even own a bar) that have a young crowd.

Old 04-30-2017, 09:35 PM

900 posts, read 990,364 times
Yeah i agree with BNBR . You come off as a whiny & immature. Like you asked, it is you. Put on your big boy pants and get out there and make a life for yourself instead of complaining that youre "bored". Speak to some military soliders currently overseas and ask them if they are "bored". Sad

Old 04-30-2017, 11:21 PM

196 posts, read 73,584 times
The first two posts are inaccurate. If you use the search function, you'll see that there are countless pages of discussion on how superficial and overentitled women are here. If anyone wants to doubt me on that one, go ahead, I can link numerous topics and quote prominent members of this forum saying if, don't try me.

In general, if you aren't a white collar worker making a lot of money, the dating scene down here will be mediocre at best.

Old 04-30-2017, 11:54 PM

486 posts, read 184,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l22 View Post
I've lived here 4 years now and came from up north. I was 23 when I came now I'm 27. I moved down because my parents who I lived with after I graduated college were moving down here (to Lauderdale-by-the-sea). Is it just me or is there nothing for millenials to do in Broward County? Every bar I go to has older people - mostly seniors and every date I've been on the woman has not been in her 20s lol - she's normally 30-45ish.... And.... every girl down here in her 20s appears to already have a kid, which I'm definitely not interested in lol - and she had the kid when she was like 17! It seems like the dating scene down here is the worst in the world and meeting people who aren't materialistic douchebags is tough. Is it just me or are there any other millenials down here who feel like South Florida provides them with nothing lol. I feel like I just don't fit in down here. Just wondering if it's just me lol. I don't think it is.
Yes, I agree. I lived in South FL for one year back in 2012-2013. I worked in Davie and Miami on separate contracts as an engineer. The place is very large with too much congestion. With being "large" it was also highly impersonal.

It's far worse in Tallahassee. I am from Generation X, and Tallahassee is the 18-22 focus of age. It's a college town. Either that, or there are many divorced single parents in their mid 20s on up. Within that are "Bible Belt" families who comprise the "FSU" community. So I was out-of-place as a "Generation X" guy from Arizona.

As for Fort Lauderdale, I never felt comfortable there. The traffic was really bad. As a guy who grew up in a rural area of Arizona I just could not adapt to the congestion. Back in the 80s there used to be a show called "Miami Vice" that I watched. It had many car chase scenes. When I worked in Miami I scoffed at those memories. In real life, Miami has too many traffic jams for "car chase" scenes (LOL).

I left my Miami contract in 2013. This video was most excellent in describing the woes of Miami. It summarizes the demographic and economic issues nicely. The millenials who would normally comprise the middle-class after graduation don't get much to grow. Hence, there are the problems you observed. This video was made by a reporter for the "U" in Coral Gables.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVRBfEtpBuU

I would recommend Austin, TX or the I-4 Corridor (Orlando-Tampa). Most FSU graduates I knew seem to be happy "yuppie" Millienials along the I-4 Corridor. I almost moved there in March but got a job in my home state at Phoenix, AZ. So am back in Scottsdale which is ideal for Generation X.

Best wishes.

Old 04-30-2017, 11:56 PM

332 posts, read 333,938 times
no money no honey

Old 05-01-2017, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisSuarez View Post
no money no honey
Thanks for the responses. I make plenty of money lol. It just seems every girl here my age comes with a kid and also she's retarded.

Old 05-01-2017, 12:10 AM

I also forgot to put this in my original post: It seems people are very uneducated down here - the rich and poor alike. With the rich people my age, it seems most of them just inherited this wealth and got lucky, but that doesn't make them any less stupid, just rich lol. As a result, there's really no culture down here that I see. Although I don't know Miami well. I'm speaking only about Fort Lauderdale/Broward.

Old 05-01-2017, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
You won't like my response, but honestly, it's you.

I had no trouble dating girls my age, if not younger. And there is a ton of bars and places to go with young crowds. The population of South Florida is larger than nearly half the countries in the world. If you can't find any young people or nice girls, it's you. Change up your approach.

I'm a millennial and couldn't be happier here, I certainly don't hang out with old people all day and visit plenty of bars (I even own a bar) that have a young crowd.

"Why should I change? He's (South Florida's) the one who sucks." - Michael Bolton, Office Space

Old 05-01-2017, 12:24 AM

196 posts, read 88,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
Yes, I agree. I lived in South FL for one year back in 2012-2013. I worked in Davie and Miami on separate contracts as an engineer. The place is very large with too much congestion. With being "large" it was also highly impersonal.

It's far worse in Tallahassee. I am from Generation X, and Tallahassee is the 18-22 focus of age. It's a college town. Either that, or there are many divorced single parents in their mid 20s on up. Within that are "Bible Belt" families who comprise the "FSU" community. So I was out-of-place as a "Generation X" guy from Arizona.

As for Fort Lauderdale, I never felt comfortable there. The traffic was really bad. As a guy who grew up in a rural area of Arizona I just could not adapt to the congestion. Back in the 80s there used to be a show called "Miami Vice" that I watched. It had many car chase scenes. When I worked in Miami I scoffed at those memories. In real life, Miami has too many traffic jams for "car chase" scenes (LOL).

I left my Miami contract in 2013. This video was most excellent in describing the woes of Miami. It summarizes the demographic and economic issues nicely. The millenials who would normally comprise the middle-class after graduation don't get much to grow. Hence, there are the problems you observed. This video was made by a reporter for the "U" in Coral Gables.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVRBfEtpBuU

I would recommend Austin, TX or the I-4 Corridor (Orlando-Tampa). Most FSU graduates I knew seem to be happy "yuppie" Millienials along the I-4 Corridor. I almost moved there in March but got a job in my home state at Phoenix, AZ. So am back in Scottsdale which is ideal for Generation X.

Best wishes.
Wow that's a lot of talk for someone who only lived in South Florida for a year. Things have also been changing quickly since you lived there in 2013. To claim that Scottsdale, or anywhere in Phoenix for that matter, is "ideal for generation x" is just laughable. That video you posted is over 5 years old.

Last edited by pinytr; 05-01-2017 at 01:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area