U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2017, 06:07 AM

35 posts, read 40,254 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the update, and glad you came to check it out. I heard some good things about Jacksonville so you may want to look that up, but keep in mind that if you have a great job and currently live in Charlotte, NC then why not stay? Don't just move to B/C of the beaches down here. I have an uncle up in the Concord, NC that just bought a two story home with over 2500 sq ft for under 200k! I personally love Miami, FL and there is always something to do down here ALWAYS but I wouldn't just move up north b/c of one specific reason just my two cents.

Either way keep us informed about your preferred destination.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2017, 06:48 AM

830 posts, read 692,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefullyMoving View Post
I'm going to check out the Tampa & St Pete areas next month.
Love downtown St Pete & the beaches, especially Fort Desoto. We moved up to Gainesville from SFLA 2 years ago & drive down to the area for a long weekend from time to time. We're older than you but you'll see lots of young people.

Old 05-24-2017, 07:02 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,855,170 times
Quote:
Ok I just spent 5 days in Fort Lauderdale and don't think this is the city for me. The beach areas are nice but heavily populated by retirees and the price of real estate keeps many younger people away. Also, there's too many areas that have huge pockets of run down areas. No matter where you go, you're just a few blocks away from a small ghetto. I'm talking about the area east of 95 btw.

Thank you all for the info. Time to consider other cities.
Why would you want to stick around in the areas just east of I-95? There are plenty of many nice areas elsewhere.

Old 05-25-2017, 06:36 AM

4,331 posts, read 4,116,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
Why would you want to stick around in the areas just east of I-95? There are plenty of many nice areas elsewhere.
I agree but think it goes back to the days when there was "that saying" to stay east of Federal.
I know people who still say/think that and wonder how much they miss by not leaving their little bubble.

Old 05-25-2017, 06:38 AM

1,871 posts, read 919,883 times
Quote:
I'm sure there's plenty of other cities that are similar to Fort Lauderdale from that perspective. It doesn't mean there are cities that do a better job of maintaining large nice areas away from the crime infested areas. Denver and Charlotte are just 2 that come to mind. If they were within an hour from the beach I'd be set.
The riots and violence in Charlotte last year certainly reinforces the idea that they do a great job of maintaining large, nice areas away from the "undesirables"...

It just doesn't make sense to complain that the areas specifically near lower income neighborhoods are near lower income neighborhoods (east of 95). When there is large areas, for miles and miles, with no ghetto's anywhere near them west of 95...

Well yeah, if you go to Charlotte and look in areas near the ghetto's.... I think you'll find that the areas are... well... near the ghettos.

Old 05-31-2017, 07:20 PM

169 posts, read 152,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
The riots and violence in Charlotte last year certainly reinforces the idea that they do a great job of maintaining large, nice areas away from the "undesirables"...

It just doesn't make sense to complain that the areas specifically near lower income neighborhoods are near lower income neighborhoods (east of 95). When there is large areas, for miles and miles, with no ghetto's anywhere near them west of 95...

Well yeah, if you go to Charlotte and look in areas near the ghetto's.... I think you'll find that the areas are... well... near the ghettos.
The riots in Charlotte last year are an anomaly here and they were quickly put to rest in a couple of days.

Every city has it's "ghetto". What i'm referring to is the separation of those areas from the nicer areas. In Fort Lauderdale it seemed like you could be downtown right next to million dollar penthouses and still be 3-4 blocks away from very rundown areas. That's not the case in some cities.

I wanted to stay East of 95 because the whole idea of moving to the Fort Lauderdale area was to be close to the beach. As in walking or biking distance.

Old 05-31-2017, 07:21 PM

169 posts, read 152,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
I agree but think it goes back to the days when there was "that saying" to stay east of Federal.
I know people who still say/think that and wonder how much they miss by not leaving their little bubble.
It's not a bubble. I just want to be able to ride a bike or walk to the beach. That's the whole point of me moving to Fort Lauderdale. If I wanted to be 30-40 minutes to the beach I would just move back to Orlando.

Old 06-01-2017, 09:50 AM

4,331 posts, read 4,116,923 times
Quote:
It's not a bubble. I just want to be able to ride a bike or walk to the beach. That's the whole point of me moving to Fort Lauderdale. If I wanted to be 30-40 minutes to the beach I would just move back to Orlando.
Understood - I didn't mean the bubble comment toward you.
That was directed toward people who live their lives around cliches.
I absolutely understand your point.

Old 06-01-2017, 03:32 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,855,170 times
Quote:
There are many beautiful areas East of I-95. Just not *immediately* East of I-95. The beach is East of I-95.

Old 07-06-2017, 08:42 PM

243 posts, read 210,486 times
Default Nobody Walks Here

If you see someone walking on the street in Fort Lauderdale they are usually homeless. Just about everyone drives everywhere here even though most people from other places will tell you they, "moved here for the weather," which most likely means they didn't want to keep driving in snow.

If someone here does get the urge to go for a walk in a business area, they usually get in their car and drive to downtown Hollywood, South Beach or Key West since the city governments in those areas seem to understand that most tourists don't come to Florida to drive around in a car all day. Most tourtists come here to experience the sunshine and warm weather that most of the locals here shun like vampires driving around in their dark window tinted cars and shopping in shopping malls.

The Fort Lauderdale area was not set up to be for people who like to walk to places and the city governments have done their best to keep it that way. Oakland Park Boulevard used to be lined with trees years ago but the City had them cut down so they could widen Oakland Park Boulevard from four lanes to six. Forget about seeing any crosswalks built over our superhighway style streets as the mayor of Fort Lauderdale is too busy trying to chase the homeless away instead of trying to create decent paying jobs for them and the rest of us to to go work at.

Don't worry about not having enough to do here. You'll be spending so much time in your car getting from one place to the next here you won't have much free time to do anything anyway, particularly if you work in a service industry job here because you'll probably have to have 2 or 3 of them to pay your rent or mortgage because of the low pay scales here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area