Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 02:21 PM

3 posts, read 3,727 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I've been mulling the possibility of moving to South Florida for about 3 years now. I've read a lot of threads on here and information on other sites, and I've decided it's time to pull the trigger, this Aug/Sep. About me, I'm a 30 year old single white male, I work remotely so will be bringing my job with me. I speak Spanish fluently and enjoy interacting with latin folks as well as other immigrants i.e. from europe. I posted this in both FLL and Miami.

I'm trying to narrow down the areas to find a 1 BR apartment in the $1400-1800/mo range. The things that are most important to me are:

1. Neighbors who are professionals or at least keep reasonable hours
2. People (and single women) in my age range (i.e. 24-30)
3. Reliable high-speed internet (for work)
4. Reasonable level of crime. I've lived in cities for a while now, I'm not a scaredy-cat but I want guests to feel safe coming to my neighborhood and I don't want to live next to drug addicts.

Things that would be really nice too:

-some walkable entertainment facilities i.e. bars/restaurants
-on or near the beach

The possibilities that I'm considering now are downtown Fort Lauderdale, Aventura, Sunny Isles Beach, Hollywood Beach and Brickell. South Beach sounds nice since it so walkable but I have a feeling that there would be a constant struggle with noise from party-animal neighbors.

Any advice on narrowing the places that I'm considering so far or other options? Also I'm planning on going to see places in person in late July, any advice on making it a more successful trip? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 06:44 PM

2,128 posts, read 2,322,958 times
Your best bet is South Beach if you find work not too far away. It has everything you are looking for and can find a nice 1 Bedroom in a building with young professionals like the Mirador for your budget. You would need to be in the $2k range to get into the Waverly but that would be a nice luxury building option with great neighbors.
As much as you'll be tempted, avoid the Flamingo. Actually living there can be maddening, though it has 2 awesome pools and lots of single women (and single tourists using AirBnB).

I would avoid anything on Collins/Washington/Ocean drive unless it was in South of Fifth (the quiet section but more upscale).

2nd choice would be either 'North Beach' (the town, not the city) which is 63rd to about 85th street, but I would focus more on the 65th to 73rd area. Walkable, not as noisy, walk to the beach, people from all over.

3rd choice Hollywood Beach or maybe something near Las Olas in Ft. Lauderdale. Both are walk-able and have a good mix of people and should be in budget.

Downtown Miami/ Brickell would be good options as well if you like the city life and can just uber/water taxi to the beach. Lots of young professionals in Downtown Miami and you can get more luxurious amenities in that budget vs South Beach older buildings.

I have a lot of clients living in Downtown as well as the beach and both like one or other for various reasons. Some prefer to be near the metro mover/metro rail, others like to walk to the beach or up and down Lincoln road. It just comes down to personal preference.

Hope that helps!

Old 06-13-2017, 12:26 PM

3 posts, read 3,727 times
Thanks for the response Marc. I'm going to look into those 2 buildings in South Beach. My concern about South Beach is that I won't be able to keep up with all of the partying (though I do like to go out) and that going out would be more expensive than other areas. I guess I actually have to see it in person though, right now all I know of it is what friends who have gone down there specifically for partying have told me.

As far as costs beyond rent, like going out to eat or drinks or a gym membership how do Brickell/South Beach compare to FLL?

Old 06-13-2017, 02:29 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,601,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm9234 View Post
Thanks for the response Marc. I'm going to look into those 2 buildings in South Beach. My concern about South Beach is that I won't be able to keep up with all of the partying (though I do like to go out) and that going out would be more expensive than other areas. I guess I actually have to see it in person though, right now all I know of it is what friends who have gone down there specifically for partying have told me.

As far as costs beyond rent, like going out to eat or drinks or a gym membership how do Brickell/South Beach compare to FLL?
A whole lot of non-partying people live on South Beach and there are certainly lower cost options for food and drink.

Old 06-15-2017, 07:43 AM

2,128 posts, read 2,322,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
A whole lot of non-partying people live on South Beach and there are certainly lower cost options for food and drink.
Yeah, i guess with the media coverage and the reputation, people think Sobe is all partying.

I have a 2 year old and we're looking at moving back to Sobe in a townhome. Its the perfect location for us and our lifestyle. We can walk to the beach (its a MISSION to pack up the car and drive to the beach even though we only live 10 mins away right now off the intercoastal), we can go to Flamingo Park (everything you can think of is there), walk to many restaurants so no in and out of the car seat, and we can even get rid of one of our cars since Uber/Lyft is so prevalent (including Uber Pool) as well as the CitiBikes, my scooter, and the free trolley system.

My wife & I don't party ever and we don't even stay up late anymore. All our free time is spent with our son. I can assure you, if Sobe was some crazy party place, we wouldn't move there.

If we could afford to buy a nice home ($700k+), we would probably choose the Grove or Gables over South Beach. But for renting purposes, Sobe is way better for us compared to the Gables/Downtown/Brickell/ etc.

Old 06-23-2017, 10:42 PM
l22

30 posts, read 32,712 times
I wouldn't do it. Why not consider Houston, Atlanta, Austin instead? They have a less transient feel and more substance.

Old 06-23-2017, 11:12 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,622,737 times
Las Olas and Ft lauderdale in general is such a bore

Has nothing going on. Like ohhhhhh there s a Cheesecake Factory and a Rocco's Tacos!! wooooow, so unique. Las Olas has seen better days. U can tell the economy of the area has taken a turn. A lot of store fronts are empty. Restaurants struggling, just a boring, old people vibe here. The Riverwalk is completely empty in Ft. Lauderdale. That place used to be hoppin years ago, but now it's virtually abandoned. A lot of bums and empty buildings. Ft Lauderdale in general sucks now.

South Beach would be good for you. Brickell? ehh i dont see the appeal..
Coconut Grove might be another option in Miami to consider too. Also, Wynwood.
Dont worry about "keeping up" with partying in South Beach. Dude, u control your own life. If you dont wanna party- no ones holding a gun to your head forcing you to. If u do wanna party, u have the options. If u just want chill bars to hang out at? or nice restaurants to go to u got that too.

Old 06-24-2017, 12:22 AM
l22

30 posts, read 32,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Dont worry about "keeping up" with partying in South Beach. Dude, u control your own life. If you dont wanna party- no ones holding a gun to your head forcing you to. If u do wanna party, u have the options. If u just want chill bars to hang out at? or nice restaurants to go to u got that too.

Lol at what you said about Fort Lauderdale, so true. With what you said about "keeping up with partying," you are right - you don't have to do anything. But you will be affected by your surroundings and the people in your community and what they do for leisure in multiple ways. At least that's been my experience. I'd recommend checking out a city like Austin, Houston, Atlanta or even one of the outer boroughs of NYC. Much more culture and far less transient by miles. One thing I've noticed about South FL is no one really trusts anyone and there is not much of a sense of community compared to less transient places that contain more culture/community other than hollow 'bling-bling' in everything from the cars to the ass implants.

Old 06-24-2017, 02:35 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,774,834 times
Cultture-multure...

Everyone here is oh so cultured...

So what are you culture snobs do every day to get your fill of culture? Do you go to the opera every day? Symphony? Ballet? Ah?

Old 06-24-2017, 11:12 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,622,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
Cultture-multure...

Everyone here is oh so cultured...

So what are you culture snobs do every day to get your fill of culture? Do you go to the opera every day? Symphony? Ballet? Ah?
Well excuse us for not wanting a cookie-cutter lifestyle in the former swamp of Weston....with your fake everything. Fake downtown, fake "tuscan" communities, fake landscaping, fake pre-fabricated feel all around ugggh. Weston is disgusting IMO.Talk about a boring community The most exciting thing going on there is the Starbucks in that crap excuse of a downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area