Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 01:25 PM

5,013 posts, read 7,386,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrongStreet View Post
Though I have never seen a Penthouse studio, it's not crazy to think some exist, especially if it is a loft layout or something of that nature.
I have an aquaintance who owns a PH studio in a highrise on Deerfield Beach.
The whole thing's very odd - but it is what it is.

I can't remember what the story was as far as why the unit was even built.
Picture the top of a highrise... and then a lone little building sitting on the top of it... almost randomly.. and that's his studio.
It's refered to as the PH in his building and was part of the original building-not an after thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 02:00 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,601,537 times
Quote:
Actually BNBR is right, Penthouses are not defined by how many rooms they have. They're named for being the upper most units of a tall building. Often times to garner a better price they are built in a way that makes them exclusive compared to other units in the building.

Sometimes this is having more rooms, sometimes this is including a larger balcony or rooftop terrace, and sometimes one single unit will take up an entire floor. But the only thing all Penthouses have in common is that they are defined as being the uppermost unit of the building.

Though I have never seen a Penthouse studio, it's not crazy to think some exist, especially if it is a loft layout or something of that nature. I have seen buildings with several Penthouse units, each with differing sizes and rooms.
My previous PH unit was a 1 bedroom. All the PH units were exactly the same as the units below. The floor plans on each floor didn't change. The only difference was the PH unit had a ceiling that was a little higher, nothing more. Before that, our 1 bedroom PH was 2 stories with multiple balconies, it was pretty cool. Like a townhouse style - but quite small.

Old 07-30-2017, 07:06 PM

772 posts, read 450,645 times
Quote:
Actually BNBR is right, Penthouses are not defined by how many rooms they have. They're named for being the upper most units of a tall building. Often times to garner a better price they are built in a way that makes them exclusive compared to other units in the building.

Sometimes this is having more rooms, sometimes this is including a larger balcony or rooftop terrace, and sometimes one single unit will take up an entire floor. But the only thing all Penthouses have in common is that they are defined as being the uppermost unit of the building.

Though I have never seen a Penthouse studio, it's not crazy to think some exist, especially if it is a loft layout or something of that nature. I have seen buildings with several Penthouse units, each with differing sizes and rooms.
Well that makes two of us then.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:38 PM

142 posts, read 130,465 times
Quote:
Wow. Didn't realize my thread had so much action lol.

I live in a 15 story building on the 15th floor. The "PH" button on the elevator.

The difference in the penthouse units in this building (as far as I can simply see) is the balcony, as mentioned above. It's wider, and marble. Maybe the ceilings are higher too, I have no idea. There are all sorts of size units on this floor. Towards the end of the building you can tell the units are huge, as the balconies wrap around.

So, sorry to burst your bubble, but I DO have a sweet-a$$ ocean view Penthouse Studio in Bal Harbour for $1850/month.

Old 08-01-2017, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestBlondie View Post
Wow. Didn't realize my thread had so much action lol.

I live in a 15 story building on the 15th floor. The "PH" button on the elevator.

The difference in the penthouse units in this building (as far as I can simply see) is the balcony, as mentioned above. It's wider, and marble. Maybe the ceilings are higher too, I have no idea. There are all sorts of size units on this floor. Towards the end of the building you can tell the units are huge, as the balconies wrap around.

So, sorry to burst your bubble, but I DO have a sweet-a$$ ocean view Penthouse Studio in Bal Harbour for $1850/month.
I'm not envious, so not sure why you're implying that.

Also, you don't "have" that apartment - you rent it. Big difference.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:57 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,601,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterRice View Post
I'm not envious, so not sure why you're implying that.

Also, you don't "have" that apartment - you rent it. Big difference.
You sound miserable.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
You sound miserable.
Yes I am, but still, renting something is not owning or having it.

Last edited by StarryKnight1; 08-01-2017 at 09:47 AM..

Old 08-01-2017, 06:12 PM

142 posts, read 130,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
You sound miserable.
Lol you took the words outta my mouth there BNBR

MisterRice ... you're right, I don't own, but I am on a lease to own should I decide to buy it. So there's that. I have more plans for my future than a 550 sq foot space, however. Hopefully a spouse and kids someday and a large crew of poker buddies and sh*t. But at this point in my life, I'm super happy with it.

In fact, I'm super happy with the move as a whole. I like it down here. And I love my job.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:41 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,775,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestBlondie View Post
Lol you took the words outta my mouth there BNBR

MisterRice ... you're right, I don't own, but I am on a lease to own should I decide to buy it. So there's that. I have more plans for my future than a 550 sq foot space, however. Hopefully a spouse and kids someday and a large crew of poker buddies and sh*t. But at this point in my life, I'm super happy with it.

In fact, I'm super happy with the move as a whole. I like it down here. And I love my job.
Lease to own... You should be paying a bit more for the purchase option, no?

Old 08-02-2017, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
Lease to own... You should be paying a bit more for the purchase option, no?
Exactly.

Lease to own? Just so you know mortgaging a house isn't owning it either. No idea why so many people think that. If you have a loan of any sort of possession, it isn't yours, it's the lien holders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area