Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 06:29 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,631,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterRice View Post
Yes I am, but still, renting something is not owning or having it.
There is no such thing as "owning" property in the USA. Don't pay your taxes (rent) to the government and see just how much of that house you own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestBlondie View Post
Lol you took the words outta my mouth there BNBR

MisterRice ... you're right, I don't own, but I am on a lease to own should I decide to buy it. So there's that. I have more plans for my future than a 550 sq foot space, however. Hopefully a spouse and kids someday and a large crew of poker buddies and sh*t. But at this point in my life, I'm super happy with it.

In fact, I'm super happy with the move as a whole. I like it down here. And I love my job.
There is MANY cases where it's cheaper to rent than buy, and putting the extra saved income away has a better return than slowly paying down a mortgage.

It simply doesn't matter if you rent or buy. Do what is right for YOU. Glad you love it here, I would never live anywhere else.

Old 08-02-2017, 07:16 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,444,244 times
Glad to hear you're happy OP!!!

Old 08-02-2017, 11:02 AM

835 posts, read 474,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
There is no such thing as "owning" property in the USA. Don't pay your taxes (rent) to the government and see just how much of that house you own.
The government in Florida isn't allowed to take property for back taxes or other debts. It's outlawed.

The only way anyone, through the government, at least, can take your property is if you fail to pay the lien holder for the debt on the loan if one exists.

Last edited by StarryKnight1; 08-02-2017 at 11:12 AM..

Old 08-02-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
The government in Florida isn't allowed to take property for back taxes or other debts. It's outlawed.

The only way anyone, through the government, at least, can take your property is if you fail to pay the lien holder for the debt on the loan if one exists.
Where do you even get your information? The government will place a tax lien on your property, then sell the lien, and once the tax lien is sold, the buyer owns your house, immediately, period. It doesn't matter if you live there, you will be evicted. If you don't pay your taxes, your house will go bye-bye. You are simply renting from the government. Don't pay your "rent" and you'll be evicted and lose everything.

You really should be careful talking about things you know nothing about. Do me a favor and look up Florida statute 197.562

Old 08-02-2017, 02:35 PM

378 posts, read 486,528 times
Quote:
No its not Florida Statutes, Chapter 197 covers this in depth.

If you don't pay your taxes, those certificates are sold to a buyer who bids the best/lowest interest rate. If that tax certificate is not redeemed/paid in full with the assessed interest, the bidder can apply for a tax deed sale between years 2 & 7.

If that tax deed sells at auction and is paid for, they now own your house/property. It should be noted that most liens/mortgages will remain your responsibility, very few liens will transfer to the buyer of the tax deed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area