Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 10:54 AM

142 posts, read 130,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post

Second, just how blonde are we talking here?
Well I mean last week I lost my keys WHILE I was in my running car, so there is that ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2017, 10:56 AM

5,013 posts, read 7,385,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestBlondie View Post
Well it seems like a bit of research will have to go into this. What would you all suggest in the meantime? Do I just stay at an extended stay hotel for a month and work while I figure it out? I'd hate to jump into some lease willy-nilly.
What does your friend in Ft Lauderdale suggest?

Old 06-21-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
What does your friend in Ft Lauderdale suggest?
Well the one who has lived there for years is more of an acquaintance, so I haven't hit her up about it quite yet. When we lightly discussed it before the interview, she said that I would wish I lived in FLL and not Miami (she has lived in both). But once I get the move dates finalized and stuff I plan to contact her and ask. Just trying to get a broader idea of the area here for myself. My other friend is moving to Boca and is there every weekend to visit her significant other, so while she's around, I wouldn't say she knows the area well.

Old 06-21-2017, 12:07 PM

378 posts, read 480,328 times
Quote:
Do I just stay at an extended stay hotel for a month and work while I figure it out? I'd hate to jump into some lease willy-nilly.
That, airBNB or other form of extended housing. One item I haven't seen talked about yet is if your looking to rent apartment/condo or house as that brings up its own issues.

It took my wife and I several months (We lived in Palm Bay at the time so we would look on weekends or while I was on-site at the office) to find a house to our liking and it was a hot market (One house had 10+ rental offers that day and this was before it even hit the market).

So being local would give you the exposure to the areas you visit, while also getting a jump on a property if its still a heated market.

Old 06-21-2017, 12:24 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,601,537 times
Quote:
Thank you for your response!

I have someone PMing me telling me just to live in Miami Lakes (the job's address says Hialeah but when I mapped the ACTUAL street address, it is in Miami Lakes). She said that it's better and has more to do than Pembroke.

I guess I was thinking that I'd want to live east because there is more to do, but in reality I don't even go out that much. I also just want to make sure that I'm not TOO far from my friends, if I wanna go to their house a few times a week. I also don't want them seeing me as a trek to go visit.

A little background on me is that I am a 34 yr old single white female who grew up in a very upper-middle class WASP-y surburbia. I actually DO like that type of surrounding. It's comforting to me. I suppose everywhere cool to play could be a simple 30 min drive away, and where I live should be more comfy. So now I am leaning towards Pembroke. Though like I said, I have someone telling me that Miami Lakes is even better.
I'm sure Ann is telling you about how great Miami is. Probably trying to get you to become a client, too. There is a reason traffic is going IN to Miami in the morning and OUT of Miami in the evening.... These entire areas of West Broward is basically people who commute to Miami then back to Broward because it's nicer in Broward.

The area around Pembroke Gardens is great. Check out the Shops at Pembroke Gardens. Lot of nice gated apartment complexes with great pools in that area. It's central for your commute to work and your friends in Fort Lauderdale. You are right off 75. So consider getting to Fort Lauderdale you would just take 75 to 595. The Hard Rock is not far either and is a popular hot spot. It's a quick drive. Sawgrass is just up 75 as well, 15 minutes. Plus you have tons of restaurants and things out in west Pines and it's all very new and clean.

Whole Foods, Trader Joes, Costco, really, everything is out in that area. It's not some dead suburb, it's a pretty active/popular area.

If you like suburbia, then that's a great place to be.

Old 06-21-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
It's been years since I've been... would Plantation maybe be a good option for her as well?
Too far from work in Miami Lakes.

Old 06-21-2017, 12:28 PM

By the way, if you don't know. On your computer, you can get average commute times on Google Maps. Just get directions from an area you are considering living in to your work address. You can then adjust the "Depart at" time to any day/time you want and Google will give you an estimated commute for that specific time/day.

Old 06-21-2017, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
I'm sure Ann is telling you about how great Miami is. Probably trying to get you to become a client, too. There is a reason traffic is going IN to Miami in the morning and OUT of Miami in the evening.... These entire areas of West Broward is basically people who commute to Miami then back to Broward because it's nicer in Broward.

The area around Pembroke Gardens is great. Check out the Shops at Pembroke Gardens. Lot of nice gated apartment complexes with great pools in that area. It's central for your commute to work and your friends in Fort Lauderdale. You are right off 75. So consider getting to Fort Lauderdale you would just take 75 to 595. The Hard Rock is not far either and is a popular hot spot. It's a quick drive. Sawgrass is just up 75 as well, 15 minutes. Plus you have tons of restaurants and things out in west Pines and it's all very new and clean.

Whole Foods, Trader Joes, Costco, really, everything is out in that area. It's not some dead suburb, it's a pretty active/popular area.

If you like suburbia, then that's a great place to be.
This is so helpful, thank you!! I love nice apartments with pools. It's just what I'm used to. I actually love suburbia. I like clean, modern, and nice. I also like shopping and I love gambling lol. I love the beach and stuff too but in all honesty it'd probably be something I'd do sparingly. I'm a bit of a homebody and like my comforts.

And to answer someone else's question, I am looking to rent an apartment for at least a year so that I can get myself acquainted with the area before I even think about buying.

Old 06-21-2017, 01:18 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,775,767 times
If you want the comfort of very upper-middle-class suburbia, then you should consider Weston.

Old 06-21-2017, 01:41 PM

What is your budget?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area